Fiat Coupe Club UK

police murder

Posted By: volumex

police murder - 20/01/2013 16:18

cant believe this has happened link
its happened less than 10mins walk from my dads house ..... i went to the local infants school in Edgley and i played in the local park there ....... what's the world coming to..... i am a doorman in Stockport and i have seen the change in young people over the last 10yrs..... some people wont like what i want but i think hard labour and the death penalty should be brought back
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 16:23

Or just some decent tough jails where the criminals are not mollycoddled - they should try the US goals, like that shown in the Trevor McDonald death row programme recently
Posted By: AndrewR

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 16:27

And that will be why America has the lowest murder rate of any 1st world country.
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 17:52

We all need guns as well. ;-)
Posted By: volumex

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 17:56

its not about guns ,,,,,,we need a deterrent if you murder and its proven %100 then hard luck you lose your life... do not pass go do not get $200

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 19:25

Nothing is ever proven 100% - evidence is open to interpretation, sometimes it's made up, DNA tests can be mixed up or contaminated, confessions can be fabricated or false. There are no certainties.

Not that it matters to your argument, because it has been shown, time and again, that the death penalty isn't a deterrent. People who commit crimes either don't believe they'll be caught or are in a frame of mind where they're not considering the consequences.
Posted By: whatmoretyres

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 19:47

I know what you mean, but it's not true. Murder rate is at it's lowest for 30 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18900384

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 21:01

Originally Posted By: AndrewR
And that will be why America has the lowest murder rate of any 1st world country.

I was not suggesting that the death penalty was a deterrent, just that jail life there is hard and long. If you do something bad it really is a punishment.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 21:05

If the guy wasn't a police officer would there be such an outcry?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 21:06

Originally Posted By: Mark_S
Or just some decent tough jails where the criminals are not mollycoddled - they should try the US goals, like that shown in the Trevor McDonald death row programme recently

Yes i watched that.
Its strange how we all see things differently.
I dont think those portrayed deserved the obvious luxury they live in until death.

Re: police murder - 20/01/2013 22:44

I was not suggesting that the death penalty was a deterrent, just that jail life there is hard and long. If you do something bad it really is a punishment.

But if something isn't a deterrent then why do it? Just because it feels like the right thing to do?

Re: police murder - 21/01/2013 07:12

But if something isn't a deterrent then why do it? Just because it feels like the right thing to do?

Eh, yes

Re: police murder - 21/01/2013 08:35

This is the biggest problem with modern politics - the introduction of policy that is ideologically correct, as opposed to being factually correct.

While satisfying a desire for revenge may seem like a worthwhile goal it has a terrible opportunity cost, because you're doing that instead of doing something which works and reduces crime (which means a reduction in victims of crime).
Posted By: Roadking

Re: police murder - 21/01/2013 08:47

While satisfying a desire for revenge may seem like a worthwhile goal it has a terrible opportunity cost, because you're doing that instead of doing something which works and reduces crime (which means a reduction in victims of crime).

And you would propose what? I would also argue that once you are in the position of "taking revenge", prevention isn't the issue.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: police murder - 21/01/2013 13:21

Meh.

Re: police murder - 21/01/2013 18:29

I don't think punishment and revenge are the same thing. Punishment is about paying one's dues.

If I could move into "revenge mode", which would be most satisfying and in some cases damn appropriate, then this is a different matter....
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK