Fiat Coupe Club UK

12v 10w floodlight.. Run from a car battery?

Posted By: coupedummy

12v 10w floodlight.. Run from a car battery? - 12/06/2013 12:30

Hi all,

I have found a new garage to rent! Double garage £40 a month. Reasonable but no electricity this time.
I plan to use a 10w 12v led floodlight. I have a 240v led floodlight at the house and pretty good.

Wondered how long i should expect an 10w led light running from a car battery located just inside the garage?
I think i will be solar trickle charging the battery while
in the garage and just connect the light when needed?

Does this sound reasonable?

ANy other ideas?
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 12v 10w floodlight.. Run from a car battery? - 12/06/2013 12:47

10W will last about four days continuous - but you'll probably kill the battery if you try and discharge it that far without charging.

Also - 10W isn't all that bright; you might need a couple.

The solar charger will only provide its rated output in bright sunshine, though it will help if it's reasonably bright out there.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 12v 10w floodlight.. Run from a car battery? - 12/06/2013 12:50

10w at 12v is approx 10/12 = 0.83A , so a typical 60AH battery would last 72 hours. In reality you'll get less than that due to it not being 100% efficient and the battery dropping off towards the end of it's useful power.

Even with LED or CFL lighting I'd think you'd need a lot more than 10w to light a garage to work in. eg. I have 3 x 23W CFL's (equivalent to 3 x 100w of "normal" bulbs), that's nearly 70W and I still need a separate work light for close up stuff.

Obviously depends on if you're working during the day and the garage has windows etc.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: 12v 10w floodlight.. Run from a car battery? - 12/06/2013 13:08

I run three 50W halogen lamps off a car battery in my shed - I reckon I get an hour or two max (battery was incapable of turning a car engine over, so not exactly in the best condition)

I agree that a single 10W lamp would be insufficient
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK