Fiat Coupe Club UK

What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread!

Posted By: Wishy

What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 16/11/2013 18:21

Just that really, main pressie for our two this year is going to be a tablet. A quick look round reveals these two options.

Zoostorm SL8

Prestigio HD

Never heard of either of those two companies, has anyone got one? No real fixed requirements other than that they must have wi-fi and a headphone socket. Their main usage will be angry birds and watching crap on You-Tube so they don't need to be all singing and dancing and I'm not going to spend over £100.

Should I be concerned about which 'droid version they come with and is there anything that would be a useful feature to have or a reliable brand? It would a bonus if they came with a cover that had a choice of colours so we could get one pink one and one in some non girly type colour but that isn't really a deal breaker.

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 16/11/2013 18:31

Wishy, we bought all 5 of our kids a tablet last Christmas. It probably explains in some part why we're now skint, but they have proven to be the best present ever. All of the kids have used their tablets for all kinds of things every single day, so hopefully you'll find the same.
Make sure whichever tablet you get can connect to and download apps from Google's Play Store, or their use will be very restricted.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 16/11/2013 18:32

I heard Hudl from Tesco are good and you can use you clubcard vouchers and use the "double points" scheme to get a shed load of cash off.

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 16/11/2013 18:35

If you can get hold of a Hudl...

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 16/11/2013 20:50

When I looked earlier the Hudls (in suitable colours) were sold out. With regards to the Google app store, I'm curious as to why any Android tablet wouldn't be able to access the app store. Is there any reason why that could be?

Edited to add
(in suitable colours)
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 08:37

Some cheapo tablets just refuse to install any more advanced stuff. They just say 'not compatible' eg. Because of cpu requirements, screen res,... Etc.
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 08:58

I bought my kids (2yrs and 4yrs) a Nexus 7 V1 about 6 months ago. They love it. It's a quick little tablet and never missed a beat. There are some good deals on them now the never version has been released

Nexus 7

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 09:02

We went with the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Cost us £125 each with cashback 12 months ago. I bet they are a lot less now...
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 09:41

Etch-A-Sketch

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 10:46

That would be more my sort of budget but they already have one of those. This is going to be sort of compromise between the etch-a-sketch that they already have and the iPad that that they would want but won't get.

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 10:48

One of these?

Yep, looks a fair but cheaper now.

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 11:45

That looks like a reasonable deal to me. I'm sure there will be better, newer ones available, but at that price that looks pretty good for a decent brand. They don't do 3G, but that hasn't been an issue for us (not getting them a contract!) As I say, our mob are all still loving theirs.
Posted By: bockers

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 12:36

http://www.ebuyer.com/521621-hisense-sero-7-pro-32gb-tablet-m470bse
I bought one and it comes with free case. Works brilliantly and is basically a nexus clone but with added card slot. 32gb on board is more than adequate, full access to google play and great video play back too.

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 13:01

There's a Tab 3 out which is probably why they're cheap. Definitely won't be getting a contract for them so 3G isn't an issue. It's more important that it has WiFi than anything else and a card slot probably isn't essential either. The Samsung looks favourite so far unless I increase the budget to £110 which pulls in a few of your other suggestions.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 13:53

Another vote for Galaxy Tab 2 7" although the one we have has been on the verge of being returned twuce..if your darling child ignores the low battery warning and lets it die, it can be a devil of a job kicking it back into life again, I've spent what feels like hours playing with the power cable and various button presses to get it out of a constant no charge...shall I charge?...no! loop grr but apart from that it's OK
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 13:56

Hudl. Currently in stock at Tesco's Prestatyn, if you fancy a drive!
Posted By: whatmoretyres

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 18:26

100% with Jim on must have Google Play. If it doesn't say it does, don't assume. Some pretty good Asus and HP ones out there at the moment. I kind of wonder how Tesco are supporting their's to be honest - I can't see much technical support on hand in the local cess pit!

Also some other opinions on decent deals
Posted By: szkom

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 19:55

If it doesn't you can install the .apk.

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 20:42

That's lets you on to Play, but the device won't be recognised or be on the 'approved' list. It's much easier to buy a tablet already approved
Posted By: szkom

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 20:54

You can access play via a browser anyway. I installed the play store app on a cheap tablet a while back. No issues I've seen.
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 17/11/2013 21:23

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1223518.htm
At that money how about a Nook?

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 18/11/2013 14:12

Just realised that Galaxy Tab 2 is a refurbed one which is why it's so cheap. New they come in comparab le to the rest.

Galaxy Tab 2

The free case (as well as the spec) is swinging things in favour of the Hisense at the moment.

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 18/11/2013 19:58

Hisense wins, just ordered 2. Thanks as ever for all your input.

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 18/11/2013 20:00

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 18/11/2013 20:03

blinking flip

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 18/11/2013 20:22

You can say that again. hehe
Posted By: bockers

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 20/11/2013 19:20

have they arrived yet. Must admit I am mighty impressed with mine.

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 20/11/2013 20:32

No not yet however I'll obviously have to check they work and set them up before xmas eve. laugh

Re: What cheapo tablet for the kiddies thread! - 23/11/2013 11:42

Arrived today, unfortunately the little mites are knocking around so I won't be able to open the box properly and play with them make sure they work until later.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK