Fiat Coupe Club UK

Sports Personality

Posted By: Emjay

Sports Personality - 27/11/2013 14:34

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/25017298

As they are also allowing online voting during the programme, I suspect a large number of corpulent people sitting in their armchairs and eating Pringles will be swept back to the fervour of Wimbledon and swinging it in favour of Mr Murray.

The candidates:
Ben Ainslie
Ian Bell
Hannah Cockroft
Mo Farah
Chris Froome
Leigh Halfpenny
AP McCoy
Andy Murray
Christine Ohuruogoguhgoohoo
Justin Rose

Any thoughts on the team? At least we won't get a repear of last year's farce when the Beeb ignored their own rules and voted Team GB <sotto voce> er and NI (aka "Anyone but Team Sky") winners.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: Sports Personality - 27/11/2013 14:49

Originally Posted By: Emjay
At least we won't get a repeat of last year's farce when the Beeb ignored their own rules and voted Team GB <sotto voce> er and NI (aka "Anyone but Team Sky") winners.

I would have said the The British and Irish Lions but its against the Beebs rules. Oh hang on.......
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: Sports Personality - 27/11/2013 19:16

I can't see anyone but Murray taking it and I'd say it's deservedly so.

What are these self imposed BBC rules that should prevent it being the Lions? Again, I say they thoroughly deserve it given the achievement.

I do have particularly fond memories of it though, I watched the final test with my best men, father and soon to be father-in-law on the morning of my wedding.
Posted By: jasgol

Re: Sports Personality - 27/11/2013 21:24

It would be a travesty if Murray didn't win it, I was starting to think that I may not see a British mens Wimbledon champion in my lifetime. I know he's not much of a 'personality' per se but his talent, grit and determinedness are up there with the best.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sports Personality - 27/11/2013 21:49

And what about Froome-dog?
Posted By: Emjay

Re: Sports Personality - 28/11/2013 13:09

Ali, the Lions are not affected.

From last years T&Cs:

"For the team in an individual sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the calendar year to date. The team should have significant UK interest or involvement.

For the avoidance of doubt this criteria excludes Team GB/Paralympics GB but includes the likes of British Cycling, Rowing Coxless Four and the European Ryder Cup team."

Pretty clear, no? Apparently not.

For this year that second paragraph has been deleted, but it still has to be an individual sport.

NB Lions are just as eligible as they always were.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Sports Personality - 28/11/2013 13:20

I just can't get interested in this any more; isn't it just a big jolly for the BBC sports department where they get to talk to the people that do the sports they no longer have broadcasting rights for?

Or am I being a teeny bit unkind?
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: Sports Personality - 28/11/2013 19:25

Ah I see, thanks Mark.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: Sports Personality - 29/11/2013 08:04

Originally Posted By: Emjay
NB Lions are just as eligible as they always were.

Thanks for clearing that up Mark. Not that I have the slightest bit of interest in the event itself!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK