Fiat Coupe Club UK

Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem

Posted By: Wishy

Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 27/07/2014 18:22

I've just got one of these and I'm having problems assigning a static IP address to one of my machines.

I can configure it locally (using either Mint or Win7 as it's dual boot) and it appears that I have the correct IP address. Ipconfig/ifconfig on the local machine show the correct IP address and the management screen of the router show the correct one as being attached but I get no internet access.

I've also tried reserving an IP address on the router but whenever I try to connect again, the router ignores the IP address that I've reserved, gives it a normal DHCP one and deletes the reservation.

Any ideas? I might try a combination of both (i.e. set a static IP on the local machine and reserve that same IP on the router) but that would seem a bit daft if that is the only way to get it to work.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 27/07/2014 18:42

I gave up trying and just use it as modem with a dhcp to my wireless hub. That one assigns a static address for the printer.

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 27/07/2014 20:15

Worst case I could do that as I still have my old router but I'm trying to reduce the device count sat behind the TV. Other advantages are gaining a 5Ghz radio and having Gbit Ethernet ports instead of the current router's 100Mb ones.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 27/07/2014 20:28

Not sure about the static IP problem, but make sure you change the default setup password on the superhub, there's an exploit that allows open/unencrypted wireless access while it boots giving time to log into the superhub and view the openly displayed encryption pass phrase.

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 27/07/2014 20:40

Have done thanks. I always do anyway out of habit but in looking for solutions for the static IP problem I did find a lot of reference to the exploit you mention.

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 27/07/2014 20:49

You could try community.virginmedia.com/ forums if you haven't already.

It usually takes quite a while to get an official reply on there though, if you get one at all.

I'm still waiting for a reply to my latest complaint about them offering me a great upgraded package deal in writing (by post) and then no one at the specific number it tells you to call having ever heard of it, haha.
Posted By: robcoupe20vt

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 27/07/2014 20:58

I have the same virgin hub. Why dont you ring customer support they fixed my problem by remote operation while i waited .

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 27/07/2014 21:37

Both of those options were going to be next although I got the impression that telephone support didn't cover the advanced settings (was still going to try though).

Anyway, in the mean-time I've cracked it. woohoo

The solution was to switch off the machine completely (rather than using ipconfig /release /renew like I was) before adding the reservation in (from a different machine).
I now have static IPs on both Windows and Mint for the machine I wanted them for.

As always, thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Posted By: volumex

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 01/08/2014 22:22

u need to assign a range of ip addresses in the router... i do it with my network printer

Re: Virign Super Hub 2 static IP problem - 04/08/2014 16:23

as volumex says - go to the 'attached devices' or home network page on your router and give the device(s) a static IP address using the range offered. Then on the device, set it to obtain the IP via DHCP (do not set them yourself).

As soon as you reboot the device, the router will then dish out the IP you asked it to give to that device. That's how mine has been set up with Sky, BT and Virgin.

If you have a dynamic IP address with Virgin, you can then set up a ddns account and access your network with a domain name rather than remembering an IP address that might change all the time.

Oh and always change the default password of the router. I also turn off UPnP and do port forwarding to be super safe/paranoid ;-)
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK