Fiat Coupe Club UK

Telephone Wiring Advice

Posted By: bikenut55

Telephone Wiring Advice - 13/08/2014 22:03

I'd like to change the location of the telephone socket in our house and in the same process update the wiring as it is ancient and possibly impacting our connection speed, but I'm not sure if I'm 'allowed'.

As far as I've read, there are no regulations to prevent me but I was wondering if the wiring is still the property of the provider, despite it being in the house?

The wire from outside (recently replaced) connects into a box, similar to the top picture here and then runs directly to the phone socket. This website suggests that if I wanted more sockets then I need to contact the service provider, but I want to replace like for like, just in a different place.

If anyone has any knowledge or advice that would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Telephone Wiring Advice - 13/08/2014 22:05

my understand is a man can do what they like in there own castle.... so i would of thought you should be ok to move it.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Telephone Wiring Advice - 13/08/2014 22:11

You can run extensions from the master socket if you need to. I have run a couple to various rooms following the same guide sheet you have posted without any issues.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Telephone Wiring Advice - 14/08/2014 06:43

You may do anything after the master socket. Up to there, it's the provider's. You can't connect direct to the incoming line; just through the master socket.

If you've got a problem with line noise or whatever, plug straight into the master socket and test from there. If it works there, whatever is wrong is your problem.
Posted By: bikenut55

Re: Telephone Wiring Advice - 16/08/2014 14:03

Thank you for the advice, I will give this a go and fingers crossed it'll work.

Owain
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK