Fiat Coupe Club UK

iPhone repairs

Posted By: ali_hire

iPhone repairs - 10/09/2014 21:53

With the arrival of the 6, I'll be selling my 5.

For ease and convenience I normally sell my old phone using an online 'we but your phone for a fixed price' like Mazuma or Envirofone. I could probably reap slightly more from eBay but after their fees the slight profit isn't worth the hassle IMO.

The best price I can get is currently £186 (iPhone 5 64gb).

However, that is for used condition which almost every site states 'no cracks'. Mine has a very small crack which is not on the viewable screen. It's less than an inch long and is just below the sleep/wake button.

I've looked into repairing it myself and it looks very easy; 5 screws in total. One guy on YouTube does it in 3 minutes.

Anyone done it? Is there a danger of me killing the phone and making it worthless?
Posted By: Gripped

Re: iPhone repairs - 10/09/2014 22:12

Hi

I've repaired a couple of 3GS iphones. It was surprisingly easy. I changed the screen and battery.

As you say, follow a you tube video.

Parts are quite cheap too.
Posted By: bockers

Re: iPhone repairs - 10/09/2014 22:31

Done a 5 and it was easy. The hard bit is getting a decent replacement screen. Most are sad copies. I paid £50 for a proper apple screen that included front camera and button bits all attached. This make replacement far easier as separating the bits takes skill and a degree of luck.
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: iPhone repairs - 10/09/2014 23:05

Thanks for the quick replies.

Having just researched a little more I might just bite the bullet and get it fixed by a pro. I can get a screen cheap enough but (as you say, Bockers) the cheap ones don't come with the attached bits which make the repair that much harder.

The cheapest fully assembled screen I can find is £43 and there's a company who will replace the glass and give a warranty for £46. So it seems like a no brainer.

Either that or I might see what I can get for it in it's current condition from one of the 'we buy any phone' type companies.
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: iPhone repairs - 11/09/2014 00:52

Dropped you a pm regarding phone.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: iPhone repairs - 11/09/2014 06:45

I dropped you a phone regarding a PM, but the screen broke... coat
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK