Fiat Coupe Club UK

where is everyone??

Posted By: Anonymous

where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 19:04

You can almost hear the tumble weeds blowing around here!
When I joined up in Jan there were some threads moaning about how quiet it was getting, but now it's like a ghost town.

I check new posts in the morning and barely any change by lunch time. I'm thinking by this time (19.00) there might be something but very little change!

Christ I was a member of a rarer car forum that was always busy.
Even the replica lambo forum I go on is sometimes busier than here.
Even if it's just mindless banter, that would be something.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 19:09

I've never known it this quiet, but it's actually been fairly busy recently. A few people are away for half term and other reasons.
Reckon it'll be busier again in a few days...
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 19:18

Boooo...Its nearly Halloween after all!

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 19:48

There must be many owners who have had a Coupe for 20 years, without meaning to some folks will have become somewhat jaded as they literally have been there, done that and bought the T-shirt +window sticker.

Secretly, they are also all very big fans of Facebook. wink

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 19:55

I think that's the answer kbt. I've heard of another forum that died on its arse due to Facebook.

Someone link me to a Facebook page wink
Posted By: magooagain

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 20:00

Originally Posted By: nissansteve
I think that's the answer kbt. I've heard of another forum that died on its arse due to Facebook.

Someone link me to a Facebook page wink

Dont bother Steve. Its not up to FCCUK standard imo. It just seems to be used for selling and breaking with an odd picture of a coupe.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 20:12

I hate FB with a passion.

I like the simplicity of forums, where you can easily choose what to read, rather than being bombarded with cr4p on FB.

It is definitely quiet on the forum these days though. Shame really.

I think Jim C must be given an award for keeping a few threads going !

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 20:14

I recently said click to enlarge to Facebook.

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 20:29

I ditched Facebook a few years back, it was a rolling advert for shite and then a place for attention seeking cloud9.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 20:45

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
I ditched Facebook a few years back, it was a rolling advert for shite and then a place for attention seeking cloud9.

I did delete my account for about a year. Then in a fit of madness, I created a new one to share info on the Turin Rally in June...

Beginning to regret it though. Not the Turin related stuff.... just getting sucked back in to the black hole.
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 20:50

An annual cull is the answer to Facebook harmony.

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 20:52

http://arsebook.co.uk/

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 21:34

Brilliant smile
Posted By: RusH

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 22:29

Still here.... Lurking
Posted By: samsite999

Re: where is everyone?? - 22/10/2014 22:38

I have nothing of interest to say
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 00:58

I'm spending more time on motorbike forums, pretending winter doesn't exist.
Posted By: Easy

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 01:32

You can tell the state of the forum by the lack of locked threads. smile A lot of the more interesting people are either long gone or do not post anymore.

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 06:32

Not just that but also the lack of forum issues threads.... Over the last 12 months all the naughty boys have been kicked out or bludgeoned into not posting opinions anymore.

Real shame tbh, debate at work is hard come by (mostly women, mostly marketeers and I live in a box these days) and most of my mates carry similar opinions....

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 06:54

Monty Python And The Holy Grail - http://youtu.be/fxGqcCeV3qk
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 07:06

Even the replica lambo forum I go on is sometimes busier than here.

... crazy ... redcard
Posted By: bezzer

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 07:08

We need the following -

Jim Clennell (JC) to buy any technology product.
Somebody asking what the pointy yellow things on lorries wheels are.
A grammar thread with Barnacle and JC discussing tenses, split infinitives and commas.
Bockers to start car sharing again.
JC having to translate a brochure on any technology product.
AndrewR having to interview someone for a job.
JC and DanieltheManual to discuss the latest Tory defection to UKIP.
samsite999 to buy a wreck and restore it.
Jimbo to change his car so we can drool over his latest beast.
JC to move into a new house and have issues with windows, drains and anything to do with technology.

The return of KP, Shabba, Brewster, etc. etc.

On a more serious note, the forum is quieter, but I've noticed this on a number of Forums I post on. As has been pointed out above, other types of social media have taken away a lot of traffic.

People will also point the finger at over moderation. I've been on here for more years than I care to remember and there have always been moans about over zealous moderators. However the loss of some 'controversial' posters has meant fewer threads that drag posters in.

But what I want more than anything is the return of stan frown
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 07:50

Let's re-open the Coupe V... thread, now that was fun laugh
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 07:52

Originally Posted By: KBT

Well happy knew year tongue coat

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 08:59

I think this thread has been contrived to show me that I need to get a life!

The "over-moderated" charge has been levelled at this forum since I joined in 2001. It has enjoyed busier and less busy periods since and although some people have moved on (very few banned or "bludgeoned"), the one recurring comment from users has been the consistent high quality of response here - whether Coupé related or otherwise.
I think the moderating team (and I don't include myself in the praise) has done a great - and almost entirely thankless - job over the years.

Nobody is forbidden from expressing opinions; they just have to do so in a manner that doesn't break the rules of the forum (the ones they signed up to in order to come on here in the first place) and they should be prepared to face - hopefully articulate - criticism from other users.

Although there are fewer contributions from historic "regulars", I still think we've had some pretty decent debate here in the past couple of months.

But I do probably need to get a life and - from what I've seen so far - it won't involve moving over to a Mercedes forum...
Posted By: wink

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 09:10

What are the pointy yellow things on lorry wheels for?

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 09:13

Originally Posted By: wink

Dunno, but they're not as good as they used to be.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 09:15

And that is the 64 million dollar question. Some say, they are used to locate the whereabouts of the elusive Stan of the forum.

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 09:27

they're for quickly identifying any nuts that have loosened. Much quicker than manually re torquing the nuts to 600nm daily.
I used to mend lorries for a living.

I was lying

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 09:32

Nothing to see here, move along

Are you looking to get yourself banned, young nissansteve...?
Posted By: Wishy

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 09:44

Mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some redaction is needed. Jim, you should know better than to even quote such text!
Posted By: Begbie

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 09:49

Don't worry, it's all taken care of wink
Posted By: Carlscott

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 10:15

I'm a member of one or two of the Facebook forums there alright for posting pictures and a little bit of information, but that's about it.

When people ask if someone is on fccuk.org, the usual reply is "it's not the same anymore" "bunch of stamp collectors" (not quite sure what that means) but you get the idea. I imagine that to be previous users that may or may not have been banned for whatever reason.
Posted By: Wishy

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 10:15

Phew, in my blind panic I forgot to use the notify button. blush

Have I said recently that the moderation on this forum is great?

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 10:22

Originally Posted By: Carlscott

When people ask if someone is on fccuk.org, the usual reply is "it's not the same anymore" "bunch of stamp collectors" (not quite sure what that means) but you get the idea. I imagine that to be previous users that may or may not have been banned for whatever reason.

Like a lot of communities, this forum is constantly changing. Whether that type of comment is made by people who have been banned or simply who have moved on, is hard to say.
You can't please all of the people all of the time.

I've never collected stamps, by the way.

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 10:27

Puts up ban reflecting umbrella laugh

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 10:32

What's wrong with philately anyway?
I study roughly 7000 stamps a day.

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 10:32

Anchorman - "That Escalated Quickly...": http://youtu.be/Ed5Bh_DbHPU

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 10:34

Puts up ban reflecting umbrella laugh

Not indoors! shocked
Posted By: barnacle

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 10:48

Stamp collection? Any gibbon can do that...

click to enlarge

Which reminds me, I have a grammar rant. I'll put it in a thread of its own, to make the place look busy!

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 11:26

I'm not suggesting you are a stamp collector Jim or anybody else for that matter, Each to their own.

At the minute I seem to be collecting parking and speeding tickets, Really not a cheap hobbie and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 12:34

No worries, Carl, I have been called worse! I was just being pedantic, factual, pompous, etc. Stick to your strengths, that's what I say!
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 12:46

Facebook is for kids who have f3k all else to do with their time, apart from announcing when they are having a maccy d's or taking a dump! laugh

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 12:54

I do find Facebook way too personal. People say far too much about themselves on there.

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 13:16

Facebook is what you make of it. I hate adverts on TV, on Facebook and anywhere else. I just ignore them. Anyone who repeatedly posts stuff I don't like/want to see, I hide. The main thing for me is that it keeps me in touch with the people I know who use it as a primary means of communication: my kids.

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 13:54

As I said previously, I do use Facebook and I say use loosely. I very rarely post comments or "update my status" mainly because I'm a private person and I like to (with the exception here and there) keep things to myself.

People do share way too much, however I'm glad they do, it amuses me. One person in particular is always coming out with things you'd expect to see on Jeremy Kyle, "Carl Scott likes this"

I think with the Facebook fiat coupe forum is nice to put faces to names.

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 16:34

My 17 year old daughter unfriended me on Facebook. Something about being a embarrassment?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 20:21

I've not really owned a coupe for 3 years but still come on here on a daily basis, I don't know if it's old habits die hard or Stockholm syndrome?

One thing I've noticed on other forums, especially the Audi forums, is the number of members in the US that keep the posts coming in, there's only a handful of Europeans on them.

A pity the coupe never made it in the states.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 22:32

Originally Posted By: jimbob13
What's wrong with philately anyway?
I study roughly 7000 stamps a day.

You didn't mention you were a frankophile.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 22:33

Originally Posted By: barnacle
Stamp collection? Any gibbon can do that...

click to enlarge

Which reminds me, I have a grammar rant. I'll put it in a thread of its own, to make the place look busy!

Gibbon's?

Back on topic, today I be mainly working; tomorrow, that and looking for a 24" tv for our nooo 'snug' room (Mrs Ed's name, not mine)
....I am being recommended this one by my tv-phile son

..and on Saturday I be mainly heading to FCSS at Downton-over-the-moon to pick up my now pristine under-bellied and generally de-bugged Bumbler - the 650-mile trip aided by above-mentioned Ed junior who turned out to be a respectable driver last time he helped drive it back smile

Re: where is everyone?? - 23/10/2014 23:14

I've been sans Coupe now for around four years and still pop in from time to time. I think the general banter and quality of personality of people on here is still great. I like the fact that people on here possess genuine intelligence, unlike the vast majority of other car forums.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: where is everyone?? - 24/10/2014 06:38

Originally Posted By: Edinburgh

..and on Saturday I be mainly heading to FCSS at Downton-over-the-moon to pick up my now pristine under-bellied and generally de-bugged Bumbler - the 650-mile trip aided by above-mentioned Ed junior who turned out to be a respectable driver last time he helped drive it back smile

On Saturday I also be mainly driving to Upton-under-water to deposit the coupe for the winter; lunch will be happening so don't get there too late, Simon!

Re: where is everyone?? - 24/10/2014 13:54

Originally Posted By: Mark_S
Originally Posted By: KBT

Well happy knew year tongue coat

Here is the Knews at To.

Correct spelling is not available at this time.
Correct time is not available either.
We aplogies for any incontinence.
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: where is everyone?? - 24/10/2014 21:12

Happy Now?

I've ranted on a thread drink type shout

Now I'm off back to sleep paper

Re: where is everyone?? - 31/10/2014 06:51

Well done chaps! Its great to see such diverse threads springing up.
I think you lot had forgotten how good you are as a collective.
Some great threads gone up in the last week or so and it seems to have sparked brilliant rants and musings. Keep it up!
Posted By: bezzer

Re: where is everyone?? - 31/10/2014 08:18

Well done chaps! Its great to see such diverse threads springing up.
I think you lot had forgotten how good you are as a collective.
Some great threads gone up in the last week or so and it seems to have sparked brilliant rants and musings. Keep it up!

Well I feel the opposite! With all this activity I'm actually logging on here more often to read everything. My output at work has declined considerably irked

Please can we revert back to 3 new threads a week tongue
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK