Fiat Coupe Club UK

new series of top gear

Posted By: Anonymous

new series of top gear - 17/01/2015 11:12

starts next sunday the 25th at 8pm .
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: new series of top gear - 17/01/2015 11:59

Comments to include, "its such a tired formula nowadays, it's just three old guys trying to be funny"

...and...

"I wish they featured more cars, their antics are just cringeworthy"

...and...

"it's still the best thing on TV, if you don't find it funny, don't watch it"

Re: new series of top gear - 17/01/2015 12:36

laugh
Posted By: PeteP

Re: new series of top gear - 17/01/2015 13:15

Originally Posted By: ali_hire
if you don't find it funny, don't watch it"

I won't.
Posted By: JKD

Re: new series of top gear - 17/01/2015 13:33

Originally Posted By: nismo
starts next sunday the 25th at 8pm .

I wonder what controversial thing Clarkson will say this week in order to garner some free, last minute advertising for the new series.
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: new series of top gear - 18/01/2015 10:16

LEGO Top Gear - BBC: http://youtu.be/A7YDMt7jOfU
Posted By: Gripped

Re: new series of top gear - 18/01/2015 11:33

As i always say. Like an old pair of slippers. Cheesy but nice to have on on a Sunday.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: new series of top gear - 18/01/2015 12:50

Originally Posted By: Gripped
As i always say. Like an old pair of slippers. Cheesy but nice to have on on a Sunday.

Cheesy slippers.

<Ron Manager>Enduring image; enduring smell!</Ron Manager>

Re: new series of top gear - 18/01/2015 21:54

Yep !

Cheesy peas are great too.

Re: new series of top gear - 18/01/2015 22:29

PS, like my new sig? A certain Chris Bangle draw it for me when we had lunch with him in Turin.

cloud9 bowtie

coat

Re: new series of top gear - 18/01/2015 22:36

C'mon mams!

Nice sig...
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: new series of top gear - 23/01/2015 16:30

http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/01/23/forum-gets-top-gear-discussion-thread-done/#.VMJ2o2K9KK2
Posted By: Roadking

Re: new series of top gear - 23/01/2015 16:48

laugh Pretty much the thread on here for tha past few series.

Re: new series of top gear - 23/01/2015 17:37

Uncanny!
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: new series of top gear - 23/01/2015 17:43

Yup, Top Gear threads have become so formulaic.
It's time forums changed the reviewing line up.

Re: new series of top gear - 23/01/2015 20:34

Yeah, but it's too scripted and isn't about cars anymore.

It'll never be cancelled though, since it earns the BBC too much money. I've heard it is £7 Trillion an episode.

I like it.
No I don't.
Yes I do.
Posted By: mikndo69

Re: new series of top gear - 25/01/2015 21:03

Like the lapel badges

Re: new series of top gear - 25/01/2015 21:22

Doubt it's 7 trillio an episode, blockbuster films don't gross that!

Not a bad show, bit similar to the usual but it was ok.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/01/2015 21:52

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
Doubt it's 7 trillio an episode, blockbuster films don't gross that!

Not a bad show, bit similar to the usual but it was ok.

'Twas a joke.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/01/2015 22:13

Ah - ooopppss!!

They do make a shit load from branding though. I used to work for one of M&S's top suppliers and we could pay upward of 100k a month in royalties on top gear branded items!!
Posted By: Nigel

Re: new series of top gear - 01/02/2015 21:20

was it just me, or was tonight's episode a bit more about cars than usual?

Expect some Argentinian backlash about the number plates jibes though....

Re: new series of top gear - 01/02/2015 21:54

Was actually quite a good test, although I'm not quite sure about the cow corral...

Surprised at the pace of the Bentley, quicker than a gtir in a straight line!!
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: new series of top gear - 01/02/2015 22:03

The Bentley was rallied a few series ago, so no surprise it was good off=road! shocked

Re: new series of top gear - 01/02/2015 22:54

It was a better episode than usual. Something just clicked. The epic cars helped.

Is it wrong to covet a Bentley Conti ? love love

Re: new series of top gear - 02/02/2015 06:41

Apart from the drag test, I found my attention wandering.

Re: new series of top gear - 02/02/2015 06:44

I would have liked them to have removed the air filters and perhaps have the oil tested for bits.

You didn't enjoy the hill climb?
Posted By: neil_r

Re: new series of top gear - 02/02/2015 08:20

Is it wrong to covet a Bentley Conti ? love love

They are definitely covetable smile However, big and heavy and expensive to run as they are apparently not as bomb-proof as older Bentleys. Steering and front suspension struggles to hold up the weight of that engine.

Re: new series of top gear - 02/02/2015 09:23

You didn't enjoy the hill climb?

I think I was engaged in making a cup of tea so, no, I guess I didnt
Posted By: Trappy

Re: new series of top gear - 02/02/2015 10:59

You’re surprised because it’s absolute tosh! The Bentley would be murdered in a drag race with any R35 Nissan GTR, let alone latest one with 540bhp+. The BMW would creep away from the GTR at higher speeds but none of them would have a prayer from a dig. Launched properly, the BMW would also pull away from the Bentley after a few feet. Top Gear sodding around as usual I’m afraid.

Re: new series of top gear - 02/02/2015 11:08

Boo!!!!!

Re: new series of top gear - 02/02/2015 12:44

Meh. Pretty standard episode, neither great nor terrible IMO.

Although watching the three GT cars travel across Oz was visually lovely, did anyone really expect any of them to break down?
Posted By: Lucifer

Re: new series of top gear - 02/02/2015 13:15

Originally Posted By: Trappy

You’re surprised because it’s absolute tosh! The Bentley would be murdered in a drag race with any R35 Nissan GTR, let alone latest one with 540bhp+. The BMW would creep away from the GTR at higher speeds but none of them would have a prayer from a dig. Launched properly, the BMW would also pull away from the Bentley after a few feet. Top Gear sodding around as usual I’m afraid.

Yeah those were also my thoughts exactly.

Back on topic I really enjoyed the episode, though I always enjoy Top Gear even when others are slating it so I'm probably not the best judge.
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: new series of top gear - 03/02/2015 21:47

The BMW launch control on that car is shit. It's a known fact. The other stuff just shows how easy or not easy it is to launch a car / to get to the figures posted by the manufacturers.

So you could very well have this situation in real life. I was rather susprised they did actual valid stuff with the cars.

Even if I think every episode that doesn't have them running something really exotic round the race track drifting, smoking, playing and noise-ing around has something missing.
Posted By: Carlscott

Re: new series of top gear - 08/02/2015 21:19

yeah it's all staged but that last episode had me in fits of laughter!

Re: new series of top gear - 08/02/2015 21:48

Yep, back to their best!

Go Daniel!! Brilliant lap!

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 09:27

Watched yesterday purely to see Dan Ricciardo. That segment was ok, the rest reminded me why I never, ever watch any more.
The best bit was the three good old chaps joshing about James having an out-of-date Ferrari. That we f**king paid for.

Lazy rubbish.

Compare with Guy Martin's humble and genuinely interested trip to India.

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 11:18

James May has a job, buys a car - SHOCK!!

I think licence fee payers pay for a lot of the BBC employees purchases. Just like with ALL businesses, customers buy a product and that generates revenue to pay the workers.
I'd rather watch Top Gear than the nonsense crime and costume dramas that seep from ITV and the Beeb.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 11:31

I'd rather watch Top Gear than the nonsense crime and costume dramas that seep from ITV and the Beeb.

Top Gear v Downton
Top Gear v The Fall

After last nights Top Gear garbage, I'd watch Downton and The Fall every day of the week!

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 11:55

I tried to watch Top Gear last night but turned off the TV when James May rolled up in a hearse.

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 12:34

Lazy rubbish is a very accurate description for TG these days. They just trot out the same, biased stuff year in year out. Ok as background TV but trashing every 100k plus car about a boring looking track has long lost its attraction.

The road trips are often nice to see, the BBC filming is excellent even if the content is questionable.

I long got tired of the two-facedness of the presenters. I caught a repeat of the piece they did on SAAB and both May and Clarkson "were so sad" that SAAB is no more. However, these same journalist have spent the last 30 years telling everybody to buy BMWs or one of the other Germans. Promoting the notion that nothing else is worth having has greatly limited the variety that we see on our roads and created a two-tier market where non-premium (non-German?) products can only be sold at almost unsustainable margins.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
The best bit was the three good old chaps joshing about James having an out-of-date Ferrari. That we f**king paid for.

However, I think they earn their keep:

"Top Gear is watched in 214 countries and makes more revenue for the BBC than any other programme."

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 13:09

Broadly speaking I still enjoy TG, even though it's mostly little more than 3 blokes mucking around. Last night was dull for me as we've seen the military style training zone stuff too many times already. Oh and why the obsession with willy jokes??? Christmas specials were also pretty dull IMO. I'd like to see TG continue but hard to see how unless there's a change in direction.
Watched Channel 5's 'The Classic Car Show' yesterday (on demand) and enjoyed it far more, despite not being a big Quentin Wilson fan.

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 13:18

Yes it was all very schoolboy silly and a bit of a repeat of what's gone before, but it did still make me laugh out aloud.
Congratulations to Riccardo in grabbing the latest RPC driving honours. driving

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 13:35

Just to be clear, I have no objections to James May having a Ferrari; I also know that Top Gear earns the BBC squillions from worldwide sales. The only bit I mind about is the 3 goons phoning in yet another fake banter-and-bonhomie-laced show, pretending to be ordinary punters, when in fact their tired and lazy antics mean can afford their own supercars.

Dull, dull, dull...
Posted By: one4seven

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 13:47

Originally Posted By: PeteP
if you don't find it funny, don't watch it"

I won't.

I tried to watch Top Gear last night but turned off the TV when James May rolled up in a hearse.

Couldn't resist? chinny

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 14:56

^ Touché.

Yeah, the fascinating horror like watching a slow motion car crash.

Could it really be as dire as I remembered? It could and was.

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 15:43

... pretending to be ordinary punters ...

smile They don't carry that off at all - they come across as spoilt brats!

However, what I really object to is their flippant dismissal of 70% of the products on the market. Sadly, a huge proportion of the public take what celebrities say as gospel frown

Sad world!

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 15:51

Being a child at heart, even at 50 something, i still enjoy top gear and thought parts of last nights show was very funny. It has become a show for the masses rather than for the TR6 owners who trundle their cars out once a year , ridding their cars of covers and forcing them out of their heated garages. If you dont find it amusing, don't watch it....pretty simple really , i love it and always have and i dont begrudge Mr May with his ferrari otherwise footballers and other highly paid entertainers would have to come under the spotlight too .

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 16:15

I watched it, and although half of it was completely pathetic I still proper laughed out loud to some bits.

I don't care much for the celebrities driving round the track but the ex/current F1 drivers are worth watching. They make it look so easy!

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 16:17

I also enjoy TG, but it is getting progressively samey. Entertainment is well paid, no question and no problem. TG is more comedy than motoring which is actually why I expect we all watch it. Cars are just the main subject of that comedy. However, these people have a responsibility to stay fair when putting products down or make it absolutely clear that it is a joke. It will be a sad day when the world only has premium product out of Germany and a few super cars for the well to do. The rest of us will have to drive whatever is produced cheaply in China. We should not write-off just about every other manufacturer as rubbish and then wonder why they disappear.

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 20:13

Jesus christ.
It's just grown men blasting round in supercars....

So what! Where else on TV do we see it? Those period dramas and fake cop shows bore the hell out of me. But I don't watch them anymore and hence don't post on here that Downton f'in abby is back on ruining my evenings.

Presenting top gear would be an awesome job,jetting round the world driving cars most can only dream of and will probably never even see. Much respect (kudos) to Clarkson for building the brand and making it what it is.

I don't watch it for reviews I watch it to see how many times I can laugh out loud or cringe.

I did used to love the half hour on a Thursday evening, but theres only so much diesel hackery you can put up with too. Can you imagine an hour of comparing a diesel leon to a golf to an octavia to an a3....

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 21:53

Originally Posted By: glenn1960
Being a child at heart, even at 50 something, i still enjoy top gear and thought parts of last nights show was very funny. It has become a show for the masses rather than for the TR6 owners who trundle their cars out once a year , ridding their cars of covers and forcing them out of their heated garages. If you dont find it amusing, don't watch it....pretty simple really , i love it and always have and i dont begrudge Mr May with his ferrari otherwise footballers and other highly paid entertainers would have to come under the spotlight too .

Not sure why you opted to pick on us TR6 owners. I do recall James May waxed lyrical over the TR6. The blokiest blokes car. Back in the days when they didn't talk total bollocks for most of the show.

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 22:38

But... the irony...

It may be a tired format, yet the debate over whether TG is crap or not is the most active thread on this forum.

They are doing something right by generating such praise and vitriol in equal measures.

I agree it is crap in the same way a dodgy B-movie is, but it is entertaining, and hugely successful.

Just my 2p.

driving

Re: new series of top gear - 09/02/2015 23:59

2p is enough to spend a penny twice ? silly

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 00:04

It's obvious from this thread that a favourable opinion is largely dependent on your liking the TG team. Right or wrong, I do (and very much enjoyed TG live in Glasgow recently). Neil_r sums it up perfectly - the show is 'progressively samey'. Yes they're funny and yes there are vehicles involved but the comedy side is fading somewhat and originality is edging towards its deathbed.
An episode finishes and you're left accutely aware the last 60 minutes contained little or no car content.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 00:54

I love Top Gear. Always have, always will cool

I also like Downton Abbey laugh
Posted By: barnacle

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 06:38

And on that bombshell... tongue

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 06:52

Jesus christ.
It's just grown men blasting round in supercars....

Ahhhhhh so you didn't watch Sunday's episode?

I'm sure it's available on the iPlayer wink

Those period dramas and fake cop shows bore the hell out of me. But I don't watch them anymore and hence don't post on here that **Downton f'in abby is back on ruining my evenings.

** There are other period dramas available.

I'm still a fan of TG but I thought Sunday's episode was dross.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 08:01

Bugger, I should have used a caveat that stated;

Most of the time. Sometimes they buy an "x" to be used as a "y" as it would be better because of "a,b & c" but not for "insert presenters name who is the target for losing this series". There is also potential to find a "hot hatch" review.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 12:06

.....Some say his trousers are made of kryptonite and that his mother makes him porridge every morning.

All we know is that he's called ........

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 12:38

...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 13:25

That's right ladies and gentlemen. It's the Stig's Russian cousin, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZtig.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 14:46

bring back Victor Meldrew I say, that bloke who always has a downer on everything !
Posted By: Lucifer

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 16:08

bring back Victor Meldrew I say, that bloke who always has a downer on everything !

I don't believe it
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 16:52

No not Z cars Jim, you be talking Dixon of Dock green next.

I will always watch TG but must admit I have enjoyed fifth gear on channel 5 also but then again it's likely to have something to do with VBH ragging something around a track smile

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 17:12

Bottom line. It's just nice to have entertainment with cars in it.

cool

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 17:34

cool

Agreed laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 18:03

cool

I wouldn't disagree with you at all about that, but you might think that, after 20-odd series of the same people doing the same thing there might be room for something a bit, you know, different?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 18:09

Now the series is about them and the cars come second. I still sort of enjoy it.

But yes they need to shake it up somewhat.

If there was a engine/car building section and a weekly profile on someone from the motor/sport world i would be happier.
And i dont mean star in a crappy car.
Posted By: cyborg7

Re: new series of top gear - 10/02/2015 21:20

cool

I wouldn't disagree with you at all about that, but you might think that, after 20-odd series of the same people doing the same thing there might be room for something a bit, you know, different?

Agree that either way, it's in need of a serious refresh. Despite the earlier TR6 jibe laugh , the one I'm looking out for is the episode featuring a Fiat spider (-v- MGB and Pug 308) due to be broadcast 22/3. But in the meantime it's becoming a tad tiresome.

I even found the following immitation / "homage" to Topgear more watchable that the real one. That must say something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiV2cuM30Zg

Re: new series of top gear - 15/02/2015 19:09

WARNING
For those that knock Top Gear, it starts in one hour - don't watch it

For all the others that enjoy it, YES! Top Gear starts in one hour.

And relax

Re: new series of top gear - 15/02/2015 19:20

When does it start for those of us that judge each episode on its merits? wink

Re: new series of top gear - 15/02/2015 19:38

For those of us with a 16-year-old stepson staying, when does it start?

Re: new series of top gear - 15/02/2015 19:45

I'll be watching.

Re: new series of top gear - 15/02/2015 21:03

Mmm. Quite entertaining this week.
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: new series of top gear - 15/02/2015 21:24

I've driven across the top of the Claerwen reservoir many a time in me Bravo HGT and Coupe when out for a mid-week blast. Wouldn't want to drive up it though, you know what the hand brakes are like.....

Re: new series of top gear - 15/02/2015 22:01

I've driven it a few times too, and on the motorbike via the hill top road to Devils Bridge. Folks used to live in Crossgates near Rhayader.

In fact this may be the pic from a few years ago

click to enlarge

Re: new series of top gear - 15/02/2015 23:14

Admit it, you like it really

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 07:36

Originally Posted By: mikndo69

Admit it, you like it really

No stepson = no Top Gear! (Unless there's an F1 driver I like on...)

I wish I did like it. In fact, I think one reason I'm able to get so cross about it is that it should be so much better and then I would like it!

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 08:55

Was it just me, or was last nights rather better for the lack of silliness just for the sake of it?

Will Smith was good - far less "hollywood" than I was expecting

I even liked JCs i8 article - quite informative, but mid 30s mpg ??? I guess its a sports car, and if you drive it like one, you're essentially running a very high specific output IC engine, so its hardly a surprise

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 10:53

It's basic physics, Nigel - doesn't matter how the power gets to the wheels, whether you're driving them directly or generating power from the IC or generating electricity from the IC engine, it's all using petrol.

A kinetic energy recovery system is only effective if you do a lot of braking and acceleration; picking up waste heat energy from the turbo spin a la F1 is about the only way you're going to improve the specific volumetric efficiency of the engine (as a complete system).

That i8 is only going to work economy wise if you have a short commute and never turn on the engine (or most of the toys like heating or aircon); otherwise it's a 250bhp combination and it's going to drink fuel at the same rate.

This of course is the big scam with hybrid electric cars: 120mpg my arse... only on the euro IC test when the IC engine is hardly used because the battery takes over. If they'd stuck enough battery to give the range of a Tesla, I could be interested, but for me I need a minimum 200 and ideally 300 mile range, and that comes out with at least 60-90kWh of battery.

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 12:05

I like the daft episodes of Top Gear just as much as the marginally less daft ones like last night’s. So long as they keep a balance between the two throughout the series, I’m happy enough.

I still remember how deathly dull the original Top Gear became. I much prefer the ‘light entertainment with cars as the theme’ show they make nowadays.

As for the i8 … I saw one in the flesh recently and whatever you think of the technology it’s an absolutely gorgeous thing to look at. BMW’s designers have managed to make it beautiful as well as futuristic.

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 15:01

Last night's episode was good, I thought.

A couple of car 'reviews', a couple of entertaining guests and a piece about an icon of the car world (although I could have done without the winching up a Dam bit).

All in all, a standard Top Gear episode but without the ridiculous stunts and set up bits.
Posted By: MCMike

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 15:29

Last night's episode was a return to form, the ambulance escapade the week before I really did find a cringe. laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 16:01

You could really see the fear in Hammonds face winching up that dam.

I enjoyed last night episode but then again I like all of them.

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 16:07

Hmm... I rather suspect that the good Mr Hammond was never more than a few feet off the foot of the damn.

Either that or they edited out the safety ropes remarkably well.

Re: new series of top gear - 16/02/2015 21:41

I refuse to believe TG stage anything for entertainment purposes wink

Re: new series of top gear - 17/02/2015 05:16

That Merc was quick. A Merc V8 is definitely on my shopping list.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/02/2015 08:45

I liked the SLS too. Sounded great. Also like the rear - kinda remind me of a Porsche 928.

The damn bit was a bit strange. You could tell from the start that it was never going to get to the top without moving the anchor point. Hammond also didn't have a helmet or seatbelt on either, and the roll bar didn't exactly look that thick!

Re: new series of top gear - 09/03/2015 19:11

That Jaguar low drag GT sounded wonderful

But £850,000! One for the rich and famous I suspect

Re: new series of top gear - 09/03/2015 19:19

should be good next week... about classic cars

Re: new series of top gear - 09/03/2015 19:43

I love the look of the new gen of Jag F types. Stunning cars.

Re: new series of top gear - 09/03/2015 19:52

I love the look of the new gen of Jag F types. Stunning cars.

Totally agree Toby! Want one!!! cry
Posted By: Darlo_Nick

Re: new series of top gear - 09/03/2015 20:06

Me and a mate were meant to have the use of an F-Type today, as agreed as part of the deal when buying an Evoque last year.

So we turned up at 09:30, nice and excited after watching Top Gear last night, only to find the car we were to use had apparently been sold at the weekend!! cry

Hopefully we'll be able to have one for a day in a few weeks instead!!

Re: new series of top gear - 09/03/2015 20:31

Jag seem to like their crackly exhaust notes...

V6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J1m3oOqtqc

V8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10HvJcNlQc

Re: new series of top gear - 09/03/2015 22:04

A good watch...
Posted By: Emjay

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 17:00

Apparently no Top Gear this Sunday. Mr Clarkson has been involved in a "fracas" with a producer.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 17:04

So it seems.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 17:05

Yep, he's been suspended too.

The 'you might be interested in...' story below it was about Clarkson saying he'd been given his final warning by the BBC. I wonder if this will be his final final warning!

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 17:19

Oh dear oh dear... what now.

I bet he wishes he hadn't sold his share of rights to Top Gear now....

Won't it just mean he'll pop up on ITV or C4 instead, like Jonathan Ross did after the Sachs scandal?

I bet Hammond and May are livid.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 17:28

Yup - I wonder if the BBC have a contingency plan and what it is. Being that TG allegedly is a reasonable money-spinner, they must have a plan.. Chris Evans? wink

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 18:08

Scenario: Clarkson gets fired by the BBC for "speaking his mind" like the common sense, man of the people that he is. This leaves him un encumbered by difficult ties to a public service broadcaster and free to stand as a UKIP candidate in the General Election.

And on that bombshell...

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 18:11

Jeremy has done a great job in developing the TG brand, but to be honest, he's probably now THE weak link?
How about the BBC have a role reversal i.e. The Stig does the presenting and Jeremy makes everyone's new car look uncontrollable out on the track? crazy
Should be fun for at least one episode? Bit like a soap cliff hanger....Who dies first????
Only joking....

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 18:44

Perhaps even Clarkson realises Top Gear has jumped the shark and now is as good a time as any to bail out. Easier to tell the other two that he's been sacked than abandoning them!

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:16

Sounds like The Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda (aka The BBC) may finally have an excuse to cleanse themselves of that last, stubborn, non-PC worshipping presenter.
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:20

Man of the people. Sorry but if you only knew....

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:25

A few of my friends have met him at various times. I hope never to have the "pleasure"...

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:29

To be fair some things i like about him but... And itsa huge BUT he it is a a titanic cloud9. I learnt something about him through work recently which beggers belief.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:30

I've met him briefly and he seemed ok. He was a bit abrubt telling my Mum to hurry up with trying to work my camera, but I don't think he realised her life was at risk if she'd failed to take a decent photo of us laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:31

Dear sirs,
I've been watching top gear which I do not like, presented by persons whom I do not like. During the latest episode broadcast I'm sure JC pulled a strange face as the camera scanned past a person who looked to be of non British decent. I find this wholly offensive and wish for him to be sacked.
Yours,
0.001% of viewers.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:33

Whether it's genuinely his personality or just a character he plays for entertainment purposes is irrelevant, I'd still be sorry to see the last non-PC worshipping presenter (that I'm aware of) leave the BBC.

It would be particularly ironic considering how much they extol the virtues of "diversity". Diversity in all things, excluding opinion, apparently.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:35

Couldn't agree more Graham.

He's about the only tv personality with a personality.
I hope he doesn't vanish into obscurity with frankie Boyle.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 20:41

Originally Posted By: GrahamL
Whether it's genuinely his personality or just a character he plays for entertainment purposes is irrelevant, I'd still be sorry to see the last non-PC worshipping presenter (that I'm aware of) leave the BBC.

It would be particularly ironic considering how much they extol the virtues of "diversity". Diversity in all things, excluding opinion, apparently.

I guess you don't watch HIGNFY (which Clarkson occasionally presents very badly)

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 21:14

Ironic that the one and only episode of the series I was actually waiting for (feat. the fiat spider) gets pulled 5 days before it goes out. rolleyes

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 22:45

Unfortunately it was only a matter of time before Clarkson would be in hot water again!

I don't however understand why the BBC decided to pull the show? Surely the people who pay the TV licences should have a say in it?

Now what am going to watch on Sunday evening?

Re: new series of top gear - 10/03/2015 23:40

Top Gear on Dave perhaps?

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 07:03

I'm gutted. My intermediate years since leaving school have always had Clarkson in them. He's part of my petrol head life. Theve got it in for him. It's a media witch hunt.
Posted By: H_R

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 07:36

Its the "nobody is bigger than the BBC" thing same thing happened to Chris Evans in the 90's on Breakfast radio, but i do think he was a total Pr*ck back then especially to his loyal fans, although he seems ok now and dedicated once more
Clarkson seems ok to his Fans other than a bit of banter, which is all that matters! I couldnt give two stuffs what he is like to the BBC but obviously somebody in the BBC doesn't like this and being told what to do! and i cant see a way back for the BBC!

I do think Hammond and May will stay loyal to Clarkson as i think they dont have to worry to much about work and or getting any!

Previous post has stated Clarkson has sold some of his share in TG this could be a sticking problem for both parties regarding the Name (not sure about the format) but if the bbc got Tiff back to replace i'm certain it would instantly flop

They will pop up somewhere else just got to be patient i suppose They have all done some decent Documentaries too

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 08:01

Home of witty banter, only no one's home

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 08:04

Hammond and May have been involved with good, well presented, documentaries and have made them interesting. Clarkson on the other hand is a bit of a one-tick-pony. His oafish TG face fits TG. It made TG what it is but what else has he done that was any good at all?

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 08:31

^^^ - What he said - JC has been pretty unsuccessful in almost everything else he's tried, but Hammond and May have both developed secondary presentation careers that would probably do very well without the TG ball & chain

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 08:37

Neil have you never seen a Clarkson documentary? He is well educated and does fastidious research.
He's presented quite a few passionate documentaries on "Great Britains" and past wars as well as doing motorworld (which was a great series).

He's not a one trick pony by any stretch.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 08:51

Neil have you never seen a Clarkson documentary? He is well educated and does fastidious research.
He's presented quite a few passionate documentaries on "Great Britains" and past wars as well as doing motorworld (which was a great series).

Well said,
He was well educated in private school (repton) although he at the time did not come from a wealthy family ,and has made some very touching documentaries about the war and the engineering that won the war from a very neutral point of view.

The top gear presenter he's associated with is a marketing gimmick and certainly isn't a portray of his image off screen,which is a far more serious character.

He's recently sold his shares from top gear and iirc the same producer is also the husband of fifth gear presenter vbh.
Not to mention he's one of the highest paid and highest profile individuals paid by the bbc.

Its easy to criticise what he has done on air but don't forget that top gear and the bbc regulate these program's prior to reaching the air.
His opinions aren't that of an individual as were led to believe but are that of an organisation profiting from his somewhat marmite image.

Either way if this isn't a marketing plot then another channel will soon pay a premium for his popularity
As for the other two presenters there not strong enough without him for it to work,although I do enjoy james mays documentaries from time to time.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 08:55

Yup but only one or two! I vaguely remember him in the Arctic Convoy Disaster documentary. Was presented OK - actually better than TG - but that was about it. You might have guessed I'm not a Clarkson fan. I'm a car fan and that is why I watch TG. The Clarkson character in TG is painfully predictable but that is what is expected of him I suppose.

Well educated? That depends on ones definition of education smile Research? That also depends on who really does the research.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 09:07

I suppose it was only a matter of time before it happened but the BBC seem to have over reacted by pulling the remaining programmes. I would think it means a final split for JC but doubt TG could remain as a going concern without him as he has made it the popular programme it is whether you love it or loath it.
In some ways move to channel 4 or sky might work but the rights owners to the show may prevent it.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 09:43

Well said BM.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 09:44

One day, in some way, Top Gear was going to end. I imagine the three musketeers must have discussed it at length over a beer or cocoa or whatever. To be honest, it's earned everyone a fantastic drink for a very long time, so nobody can really complain.
It makes me laugh that half the people (that give a sh1t) are saying that the BBC commie Pinko PC brigade have been longing for an excuse to get rid of Clarkson, whilst the other half express their incredulity that he is still at the BBC and "anyone else would have been sacked years ago".

When I said earlier that Clarkson was a "man of the people", I meant it in the sense that he "says what everyone is thinking, but dare not say it because of PC gone mad", not in any way that implies he could give a flying toss about anyone that isn't him or one of his cronies.
If you want proof of his populist appeal, check out how many people have signed the "reinstate Clarkson" petitions on an Internet near you.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 10:16

The reason the shows have been pulled is the studio sections are filmed not long before the shows air so they would only have the features to broadcast.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 10:33

Indeed. They are probably editing up to the day before broadcast.

Clarkson has had a 'push it a bit over the limit and then apologise, looking all hurt and misunderstood' persona on TG for years. He's had is warnings and pushed it once too far.

He'll probably find something else to rant about, but I shan't worry about finding it. TG has been half a show for too long; time to put it in a nice box with brass fittings.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 10:35

When I was in the Beeb there were basically three immediately sackable offences: being caught having sex; fighting; or gross misconduct such as disobeying a senior managers instructions or running off with a sound desk.

Decking someone over a sausage roll probably comes under one of those three.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 11:00

I don't dislike JC - some of what he says makes me chuckle, but its all a bit predictable now

However, I rather wonder if the BBC have left themselves with any choices now - as Neil says above, thumping a colleague (regardless of reason, but certainly not over catering) can only be classed as gross misconduct, leaving the employer with very little option

the fact that he's had multiple warnings only adds to the pressure to "let him go". He also has previous form for violence, but that was against Piers Morgan, so its allowable...... wink
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 11:03

But what will all the shambling zombies that act as the audience do now?

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 11:21

I reckon that James and Richard should drag Jodie Kidd on board and keep TG going - would be far funnier to see Jodie doing the tall/short jokes AND she can drive properly AND she's a fair bit easier on the eye than JC....

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 11:25

I can see a franchise called "Bottom Gear" popping up on ITV.

wink

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 11:30

I can see a franchise called "Bottom Gear" popping up on ITV.

wink

With Jeremy Clarkson and Adrian Edmondson...

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 11:43

Originally Posted By: Nigel
I reckon that James and Richard should drag Jodie Kidd on board and keep TG going - would be far funnier to see Jodie doing the tall/short jokes AND she can drive properly AND she's a fair bit easier on the eye than JC....

Good Call. or failing that maybe Sabine Schmitz. Or Danica Patrick. All in the cause of balance you understand.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 11:49

Originally Posted By: Nigel

I thought Jodie would be a good temporary fill until the dust all settles and TG sees where it goes from there...
The chemistry is bound to be better than with Quentin Wilson and seeing May and Hammett suffer at the hands of Kidd, will do wonders to address the slightly sexist bias TG has been accused of. wink

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 12:15

What else is on the BBC? That was the one and only program I watch on tv. Other than that we watch Netflix or Amazon.
Imo the BBC is not worth that pretend licence fee. It should be a subscription service.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 12:47

The more I think (hope?) about this, the more I can see it working

Jodie would clearly walk all over James and Richard behind the wheel, so there would be some genuine driving interest

Losing JC and replacing him with a girl might remove the fairer sex alienation that JC seems to engender

Jodie seems capable of simultaneously being a very girly girl and a bit of a tomboy, so she'll be entertaining on the "TG special" shows where they have to camp out in a desert/swamp/mountain, while driving three cheap, unreliable and totally unsuitable secondhand cars across a picturesque but challenging country (did anyone mention predictable?....)

I reckon Jodie versus the two remaining lads would be rather better than the cringe-fest with Quentin

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 12:52

Agreed, a female would make a refreshing change.

But, the 3 boys taking the p*** out of each other is part of the show. Not sure how it would work with May and Hammond being all gentlemanly around Kidd.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 12:59

I think Jodie Kidd would be more than able to hold her own in the banter stakes, in fact it would add a new dimension. love
That's assuming of course, they could all get along.
The elephant in the room would always be what would Jeremy have said....which in itself would stop anyone getting too serious....

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 13:04

Agreed, a female would make a refreshing change.

But, the 3 boys taking the p*** out of each other is part of the show. Not sure how it would work with May and Hammond being all gentlemanly around Kidd.

I reckon that she would walk rings round them on the banter too....

The only fly in the ointment is that AFAIK, JC writes most if not all of the scripts for the show, so another scriptwriter may not get it quite right. However, it could be argued that JC writes the script pretty much around himself, so maybe its time that changed.

Much as though I'd love it to be much more of a car programme, its difficult to deny that steering it into an entertainment programme with cars as a side-show has worked well for the Beeb. They just need to inject some fresh ideas.

For me, the biggest change over the last few years has been the occasionally stunning cinematography - proper goosebumps stuff and deeply impressive (for a car show, anyway). I reckon it all started with the three supercars over the Millau viaduct - for me, that was a pivotal article that brilliantly conveyed the utter futility and total joy in owning a "proper" exotic car. I've wanted to drive the Coupe over the viaduct since that episode over 9 years ago

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 13:08

Has anyone seen VBH on fifth gear? She was the reason I stopped watching 90's TG, appalling presenting and crap commentary.
I watch TG as a magazine show, bit of light entertainment. Anyone who thinks it's a serious car programme has issues far beyond not liking a presenter / personality / screen persona.
Ross did far worse and still does on ITV!

Has anyone seen the comments on the BBC news site?
Full of name calling and hate offset by people who either love TG / JC or both!

I stick by my views, if it offends, is a risk it will or you don't enjoy it then don't watch it waiting to complain. That's like standing next to a puddle in the road waiting to be splashed. cloud9 stupid.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 13:29

What about the BBC tendering for a new motoring show?

Give production companies a brief with an idea of budget and tell them to go away and come back with an entertaining motoring-based pilot.

Then, instead of another series of Top Gear, we get to watch the 10 completely new pilots and vote for the one we, the viewers - want made.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 14:16

Has anybody seen the other country versions of TG? I'm interested to see how they work (if they work) and, if so, how.

The problem with Clarkson is that he's really not that smart. You only have to see him on HIGNFY to see how wooden and out of his depth he is. There are plenty of people as irreverent and un-PC as him - they are just a lot sharper and know how to wrap a joke up so that the DM readers don't understand it well enough to complain. Clarkson's humour isn't that subtle (I still remember one of the first times I saw him on TG learning to be a chauffeur - and trying to look up a skirt ). It would certainly make sense if he writes much of TG's material which helps explain why it's so repetitive.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 14:39

Originally Posted By: nissansteve
I'm gutted. My intermediate years since leaving school have always had Clarkson in them. He's part of my petrol head life. Theve got it in for him. It's a media witch hunt.

how true, anyway there's now another name on the petition....moi laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 15:19

I thought there was an army of scriptwriters on top gear, including that bloke behind sniffpetrol and an evo column?

Given he's probably still in the country, I would get that US version presenter in to cover the last few - he can certainly pedal a car better than Clarkson....

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 18:16

Nope, if you read the stuff he writes you'll find he's not daft or anything else and earns his pay on TG through writing and presenting.
Funny how so many people can comment on him without actually knowing anything about him. I have most of his books and have watched tg since around the time he took the helm 198-something. Yes that's right, around 30 years heading up the show....
Also strange that no one will accept it's not a car show (5th gear) anymore. It's designed to appeal to more that which? Magazine buyers and dullards who think driving a diesel passat is ok.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 18:52

I've seen a couple of the American series and it didn't well to me. Even though the format was very familiar it almost looks a lot cheaper in the production.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 18:52

Nope, if you read the stuff he writes you'll find he's not daft or anything else and earns his pay on TG through writing and presenting.
Funny how so many people can comment on him without actually knowing anything about him. I have most of his books and have watched tg since around the time he took the helm 198-something. Yes that's right, around 30 years heading up the show....
Also strange that no one will accept it's not a car show (5th gear) anymore. It's designed to appeal to more that which? Magazine buyers and dullards who think driving a diesel passat is ok.

I've been watching him for as long (or maybe longer - as I say, I saw him in a bit part on TG long before he headed the show). I used to read his column in the back of whatever car magazine it was (Fast Lane?). I've read some of his books. I don't think he's that smart. I think the "man in the street" relates to him and his irreverent approach. There are plenty of much smarter people around.

I don't know why you say that no-one will accept it's not a car show. Everybody understands that. Quite a few people, however, don't much like the silly repetitive "slapstick" (let's crash into each other's car again) which plays to the lowest common denominator. Frankly, I'd rather some Passat Diesel than have this dull sh1te an 8-year-old could dream up dished out again and again. What's frustrating, and why I still watch, is that they can get it right - but only half the time.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 19:32

I'm sure the producers could stitch together the last 2 or 3 programmes from the features already recorded, and even do the star in a car stuff. They could even get a guest presenter each week to do the news bit and 'interview' the star if James or Hamster aren't up to it. Maybe they could bring on the Stig and make the star interview themselves.

This last series seems to have been more variable, some ok weeks, but some terrible ones, that Peugeot stuff was absolute mindless cr@p and painful to watch.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 20:00

End of series 20 was fabulous; a vista of British manufacturing and motoring ingenuity lined up along the Mall. I can only suspect they blow the budgets on one or two great features and the rest ends up being ill-considered filler?

Re Clarkson and the show being pulled... Assault is not something anyone should get away with. That said I don't think many of his other faux pas are the gargantuan criminal events they're made out to be.
Hope this isn't the end for Jezza on Top Gear but it might be better for the show if others take more control of the content.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 20:08

Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider

I've been watching him for as long (or maybe longer - as I say, I saw him in a bit part on TG long before he headed the show). I used to read his column in the back of whatever car magazine it was (Fast Lane?). I've read some of his books. I don't think he's that smart. I think the "man in the street" relates to him and his irreverent approach. There are plenty of much smarter people around.

I don't know why you say that no-one will accept it's not a car show. Everybody understands that. Quite a few people, however, don't much like the silly repetitive "slapstick" (let's crash into each other's car again) which plays to the lowest common denominator. Frankly, I'd rather some Passat Diesel than have this dull sh1te an 8-year-old could dream up dished out again and again. What's frustrating, and why I still watch, is that they can get it right - but only half the time.

In some sort of order:

The constant moaning about it having no proper car review...
His columns / books read better than alot I've read.
If people don't like it, don't watch. Or if you do stfu moaning about it as you know the general gist of what will happen.

If he's committed gross misconduct then the BBC have the right to release him from contract. The risk is he'll take his talent for gaining viewers elsewhere and the massive 350 million world wide viewers with him.
(obviously to script a show that's copied around the world and broadcast around the world shows how stupid he is)

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 20:18

It's a funny sort of hero-worship that means people aren't allowed to give an objective opinion on what they've been served up by an employee of the public service broadcaster.. If it's crap, it's fine to say it's crap. No need to "stfu"

I don't know about "releasing" him - he should be fired if he's done what's alleged. The attitude that somehow because he's a celebrity with earning potential he should somehow be treated differently is exactly how Savile got away with his despicable behaviour.

Just because he's popular doesn't make him smart. There are plenty of popular, high-earning celebrities who are thick.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 20:22

His columns / books read better than a lot I've read.

Wow, you must have read A LOT of Dan Brown.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 21:02

It's a funny sort of hero-worship that means people aren't allowed to give an objective opinion on what they've been served up by an employee of the public service broadcaster.. If it's crap, it's fine to say it's crap. No need to "stfu"

I don't know about "releasing" him - he should be fired if he's done what's alleged. The attitude that somehow because he's a celebrity with earning potential he should somehow be treated differently is exactly how Savile got away with his despicable behaviour.

Just because he's popular doesn't make him smart. There are plenty of popular, high-earning celebrities who are thick.

Hero worship, not really just can't stand people who watch a programme and moan about it. That's why I said stfu,I have no issue with opinion, hell why would I 'worship' a man with so many in such an out spoken way? No, my issue is all the moaning about watching it and then complaining after The person has watched it. Why? Why turn it on in the first place??
Err, I think all the daft stuff he's done has been widely reported on, I believe Saviles weren't, oh and he never apologised. Not a very good comparison....

Who said being popular made him smart? I said he wrote the script of a global show. So yes, clever at what he does.

I believe fired is a common term for being released from contractual obligation Whilst in employment.

Suarez bites people but that's fine......

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 21:04

Lol Jim, never made it to themed of one....

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 21:32

I haven't involved myself in this, but I've read a lot of the arguments/counter-arguments over TG and the current issue.

I do know I don't like Guinness. It tastes like shit and is over-rated. So I don't drink it then complain it tastes like shit.

I think Soaps are shite. I dont watch them.

I think Russell Brand is a total knobber so I don't watch anything he's on.

I think Chris Evans is an irritating ginger cloud9 so I don't listen to his slot, and turn over when he appears on my telly.

It appears you can have control over your exposure to something you dislike. At least if it's on the telly or radio.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 21:33

The filter doesn't pick up on shit?

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 21:44

Apparently not.

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 22:00

Jesus, he's made as lead topic on newsnight...
Think that's a bit too far!

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 22:22

I personally haven't missed an episode of Top Gear for many years [ to my knowledge]. I even watch the repeats on dave if i'm off and have nothing else to do at the time. The reason why ? It makes me smile. Simple as. Its amusing, light hearted and some times hilarious.
I agree that the programme needs a re-think, they do seem to need new ideas as people have mentioned on this thread.

But at the end of the day, if you didn't like it, why watch it. If there was a choice between watching someone going on about tappets and piston rings or watching top gear, I know which I would watch. Others on here would prefer the technical stuff, but I wouldn't slag them off for watching that, each to their own.
Television comes with many channel choices and also an off switch.
My father was a minister of religion. We watched the Black and white minstrels on tv, read bedtime stories about a coloured kid call Sunny Sambo [totally innocent stuff , I hasten to add ], watched Love thy neighbour, etc etc and never batted an eyelid about doing so. It was the norm to watch Alf Garnett ! Now its the norm to have totally the opposite ideals/views due to the human rights brigade etc etc, but lets face it who hasn't slipped up and muttered some racist/sexist/ageist comment, especially when driving the car !! . Clarkson does it and gets slated, we do it too so lets not be too hasty to hang him out to dry, think that would be rather hypercritical
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: new series of top gear - 11/03/2015 23:33

David Cameron is sticking his neck out a long way it appears....dangerous to get involved I would say.

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 06:12

The bit the "If you don't like it, don't watch it" crew haven't grasped is that some people find the quality variable. So, to use an analogy, it's a bit like the weather in the UK: there's some good days and bad days. It's not bad enough to make some people emigrate but they can still complain about the crappy days (especially if the weather usd to be better most of the time).

I still watch the show for the occasional good bits. Given TG is such a big car show, if I want to see the best cars, there's no other show that gets them. That means putting up with the puerile shit like the Peugeot feature.

To turn it around, if you don't like reading people complaining about the show, don't read the thread wink

My comments about Savile weren't to draw a 1 to 1 linkage - Clarkson hasn't done any of the same stuff. But if, as the 400,000+ petitioners want, we turn a blind eye to violence in the workplace just because it's a star, I think there some real similarities. We should hold him to the same standards.

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 06:49

Indeed. The issue is nothing to do with Clarkson's abilities as a presenter, it is to do with violence in the workplace.

Like every other large company the BBC has formal rules regarding this and procedures which must be followed, beginning with the suspension of the purported offender(s).

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 07:44

The bit the "If you don't like it, don't watch it" crew haven't grasped is that some people find the quality variable. So, to use an analogy, it's a bit like the weather in the UK: there's some good days and bad days. It's not bad enough to make some people emigrate but they can still complain about the crappy days (especially if the weather usd to be better most of the time).

I still watch the show for the occasional good bits. Given TG is such a big car show, if I want to see the best cars, there's no other show that gets them. That means putting up with the puerile shit like the Peugeot feature.

To turn it around, if you don't like reading people complaining about the show, don't read the thread wink

My comments about Savile weren't to draw a 1 to 1 linkage - Clarkson hasn't done any of the same stuff. But if, as the 400,000+ petitioners want, we turn a blind eye to violence in the workplace just because it's a star, I think there some real similarities. We should hold him to the same standards.

The bit the "if you don't like reading people complaining about the show, don't read the thread " crew haven't grasped is that some posts on the thread don't complain about the show. smile

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 07:52

And there's the balance wink smile

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 08:43

Forum politics aside:

It appears ITV have £10m waiting for him while many are saying he is "too white, too male and too British".

Positive discrimination at it's best.

And Barnacle, it's alleged violence - yet to be proven!
Posted By: Wishy

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 09:17

Hence suspension whilst it's being investigated and dismissal should it be proven.

I know that's what would happen to me if I was accused of lamping a colleague.

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 09:17

"purported offenders"
Posted By: jimboy

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 12:25

I've resisted enough. Kept out of this & the forum for mainly personal reasons.(things going on in family life)

I'm a fan of Top Gear for the simple reason I find it a hoot. All that's needed is... turn on, tune in & hang on for the ride, simple.
I also understand why some have varying opinions about the show.
Disliking certain things about it & expression an opinion free speech & all that is the right of anybody. Not wanting to offend anyone on here, I'm a bit surprised how Clarkson has got under the skin of some, & have went to great lengths to explain why & it looks like they really *hate* the man. Takes a bit of effort that does.Do you really hate a man you have never met. Mind you 50mill' in the bank, rude,thick or whatever, at a guess I don't think he'll be that bothered by a few blokes on a car forum.. laugh

I echo a comment by Roadking I think who said some time back on another thread how forums can be funny places. We don't really know certain individuals & some comments can come over as anal, very pedantic & aggressive. For me at worst I will agree to disagree. It's almost like a hobby for some though. I would be very surprised indeed if there was no criticism about TG on here, but the lambasting.

I suppose it's very easy to type things out from the comfort of your home on the computer, which leads me to my last wee story.....

When I first joined the forum I was hooked & soon I was in the thick of it, opinions galore, anyway had the chance to meet up with some other Scottish members on a rolling road session, fine, check out the health of my new toy. Not wanting to embarrass anyone I'll not mention any names, but a former member posted up a personal question & there followed a bit of banter. Met said member next day at the meet & I casually asked him about what he had posted up on the forum & had he came to any decision. At this point he became very embarrassed & started to mumble & obviously didn't want to speak......I'm a straight talker & would happily repeat anything I've said before. At a guess, that wouldn't count for everyone.

Out of sheer curiosity, there are some characters I would like to meet on here.... laugh Then again it's maybe better keeping up the mystique.
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 14:07

There are a couple of issues running here...

The first is the show. Being a car enthusiast I obviously have an opinion on one of the few motoring shows on national TV. I can't take the argument that if I don't like it I shouldn't watch. Surely if I, or anyone who is interested in the show are unhappy with an aspect we should have the opportunity to voice that displeasure.

The second issue is the man. Some say he is an outspoken individual who hates almost everything and views life through a set of 1950's specs. All I know is that if a young person wearing a baseball cap, or perhaps someone from a different social circle were to behave in exactly the same manner on our TV screens (Especially if they were being paid from the public purse) many of us would find the antics far less funny. As for his outbursts and behaviour. He is currently employed by an organisation that is scrutinised for every action. This organisation have been lambasted for their in-action over the criminal behaviour of previous members of staff so you would think that he would consider how his actions could harm or effect his employer.

None of us know what has occurred, all we have seen / heard are news reports, and we all know how accurate they can be rolleyes

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 14:11

Originally Posted By: jimboy

Out of sheer curiosity, there are some characters I would like to meet on here.... laugh

Be afraid... be very afraid...
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 14:22

Originally Posted By: Barmybob

None of us know what has occurred, all we have seen / heard are news reports, and we all know how accurate they can be rolleyes

Lets not have the truth spoil a good story laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 14:42

Originally Posted By: barnacle

Out of sheer curiosity, there are some characters I would like to meet on here.... laugh

Be afraid... be very afraid...

You obviously don't know me wink

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 15:09

JC, Suspended for something the BBC do not tolerate...

Rules out child abuse then

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 15:32

Originally Posted By: Carlscott
JC, Suspended for something the BBC do not tolerate...

Rules out child abuse then

laugh laugh laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 16:11

Y'know, just *once* it would be nice if people realised that 'one or two people knew and said nothing' does *not* equal 'a culture of'...
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 20:13

Copied from FB, but highly amusing smile

click to enlarge

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 20:34

I've said the same. I must admit all of the cloud9 I've met in the flesh seem to be reasonable people smile

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 20:41

Steve Coogan about TG from 4 years ago but still remarkably relevant today

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/top-gear-offensive-steve-coogan

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 20:55

Coogan makes some good points. There is a tendency to make light of underlying prejudice and make it into a joke.

I did think he contradicted himself about TG using stereotypes, when he himself says:

"I can tell you from my own experience, living in the US, Mexicans work themselves to the bone doing all the dirty thankless jobs that the white middle-class natives won't do."

He may have good intentions, but this in itself is a stereotype, and does nothing to dispel the idea that Mexicans are down at heal slaves to the middle classes.
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 21:01

Originally Posted By: Edinburgh
David Cameron is sticking his neck out a long way it appears....dangerous to get involved I would say.

Nah it's not like there is any history of any outspoken Yorkshire BBC personality having friendship and support from a number 10 incumbent is there?

Oh hang on...

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 21:19

Coogan makes some good points. There is a tendency to make light of underlying prejudice and make it into a joke.

I did think he contradicted himself about TG using stereotypes, when he himself says:

"I can tell you from my own experience, living in the US, Mexicans work themselves to the bone doing all the dirty thankless jobs that the white middle-class natives won't do."

He may have good intentions, but this in itself is a stereotype, and does nothing to dispel the idea that Mexicans are down at heal slaves to the middle classes.

I didn't read it like that at all. I think he was saying that rather than being feckless and lazy, it is Mexicans that do all the hard and dirty jobs. I don't think he intimates that all Mexicans do that or that's the only thing Mexicans do, rather that Mexicans are prepared to work harder than the typical US middle classes. If anything it is they, the Middle classes, who are being stereotyped.

Re: new series of top gear - 12/03/2015 21:21

I didn't read it like that at all. I think he was saying that rather than being feckless and lazy, it is Mexicans that do all the hard and dirty jobs. I don't think he intimates that all Mexicans do that or that's the only thing Mexicans do, rather that Mexicans are prepared to work harder than the typical US middle classes. If anything it is they, the Middle classes, who are being stereotyped.

I wouldn't understand. I am white, middle aged, hetero and male... and middle class !! wink
Posted By: JKD

Re: new series of top gear - 13/03/2015 15:11

Clarkson should have just got in his helicopter and gone to the chip shop like any normal person would have done.

Re: new series of top gear - 16/03/2015 16:32

so looks like Guy Martin is to replace Clarkson on topgear .

Re: new series of top gear - 16/03/2015 16:39

Well, according to the Grimsby and Scunthorpe Telegraph...

Re: new series of top gear - 16/03/2015 16:59

laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 00:49

Top Gear won't be shown this coming Sunday neither frown

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 06:39

I'm just trying to imagine GM doing it...

"Right, right, yeah, proper job, really nice that, proper! And you, thingie, Stig, get that helmet off and let's have a look at your face."

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 07:20

He'd only appear on TG if they changed the format to include Volvo trucks.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 07:38

A petrolhead like Rowan Atkinson who can also continuously develop the comedy/entertainment content would be the direction I would like to see.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 08:14

IIRC, Rowan Atkinson is painfully shy outside of his on-screen characters - an "unscripted" magazine show probably wouldn't work well with him, despite his petrolhead qualifications

Chris Evans would be the obvious male choice - I really like Guy Martin, but I don't think it would work

Still think Jodie Kidd would be worth a try.... love

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 08:29

Part of the problem with Rowan Atkinson may be that (according to a few people I know who have worked with him), he is pretty unspeakable.

I still don't see why you would want to try and parachute another person into a role that is already being questioned. Why not try to imagine a new show entirely, that is better than Top Gear?
The bits already filmed will emerge at some point in some guise, there's no need to stick to the same format.

I think it's really exciting that we might finally be allowed to think about replacing something that was regarded as untouchable. It's a massive opportunity. If I was a commissioning person at the BBC, I'd be finding out about the possibility of "Pistonheads - the TV show" (Shed of the Week, Smoker Barges, all the favourites). You'd have plenty of entertainment and all of it car-related.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 09:27

TG is a sort-of Hollywood for cars. It revolves around motoring jewellery.

Going the "Pistonhead TV" route has the associated danger of returning TG to a more normal car program which is what most TG fans don't seem to want.

On German TV, we get a lot of this type of "please all" programs, some with a more serious bent and others being more a more TG comedy copy. Many of the programs also look into used bargains, collectors cars, etc. Good if you like what they are reviewing at the time, but dull if they are comparing used, budget, mini people carriers!

Also, car programs around the world seem to be of a much higher standard these days and I think the BBC probably has to be given a lot of credit for its filming standards. The basic direction of TG is not that bad, but it is too rigid and has become stale. Apart from the filming, which is not so unique anymore, TG does not come across as a better standard of TV today. New blood could well return it to being good again.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 11:13

Don't think anybody can replace clarkson! Let's be honest if you like top gear you are generally entertained by the laddish banter that goes on and the amazing road trips
Clarkson can come across as a clown at times but there is usually a serious twist to him on car reviews and contrary to what has been said previously I think he comes across really well on the road trips and documentaries with a factual but fun manner
The Falklands road trip for one was brilliant anyway enough said on clarkson

Nobody can fill his shoes Guy as nice as he is would drown trying to fill the roll he just does not seem to have the ability to be nasty to anybody in a funny way!
there is only one Jeremy clarkson and anybody that tries to fill that roll
would only be imitating clarkson

So the best way forward for me is for the 3 of them to quit and start up on a different channel and let the bbc go back to the likes of tiff! Oh my god!
Anyway not sure if clarkson is hinting at quitting his style of entertainment or just quitting the bbc
Hope he comes back somewhere and yes I suppose adverts would be annoying but looks like that's the only option I can see!

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 12:30

Originally Posted By: H_R
Don't think anybody can replace clarkson! Let's be honest if you like top gear you are generally entertained by the laddish banter that goes on and the amazing road trips
Clarkson can come across as a clown at times but there is usually a serious twist to him on car reviews and contrary to what has been said previously I think he comes across really well on the road trips and documentaries with a factual but fun manner
The Falklands road trip for one was brilliant anyway enough said on clarkson

Nobody can fill his shoes Guy as nice as he is would drown trying to fill the roll he just does not seem to have the ability to be nasty to anybody in a funny way!
there is only one Jeremy clarkson and anybody that tries to fill that roll
would only be imitating clarkson

So the best way forward for me is for the 3 of them to quit and start up on a different channel and let the bbc go back to the likes of tiff! Oh my god!
Anyway not sure if clarkson is hinting at quitting his style of entertainment or just quitting the bbc
Hope he comes back somewhere and yes I suppose adverts would be annoying but looks like that's the only option I can see!

Nail firmly on the head. NEVER in the month of Sundays are you going to replicate Clarksons shenanigans or even come close with anyone else in a similar set up...FACT.

Top Gear is dead when Jeremy walks...End of. There was a tiny bit of the boy still in me that thought this was indeed a big advertising scam, but.....

Like it or not the Top Gear setup as it was will cease. As H_R says only way forward for the three TG chaps is another channel to even come near to pleasing the fans.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 13:52

The fact that Clarkson himself apparently reported the confrontation shortly before his contract was due to expire, suggests that he may have been looking for a way to get out of Top Gear without letting his fans know that he was bored with it.

He has made his millions out of it and "Just look - The nasty old BBC have kicked me out and ruined all my fans' viewing time"

And "Sorry Hammond and Mays but the BBC have killed your jobs off when they fired me."

I have been accused of cynicism before.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 14:15

The fact that Clarkson himself apparently reported the confrontation shortly before his contract was due to expire, suggests that he may have been looking for a way to get out of Top Gear without letting his fans know that he was bored with it.

He has made his millions out of it and "Just look - The nasty old BBC have kicked me out and ruined all my fans' viewing time"

And "Sorry Hammond and Mays but the BBC have killed your jobs off when they fired me."

I have been accused of cynicism before.

Bored, or, as I said, embarking on a political career!

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 15:11

The USA had Arnie, the UK have Clarkson!

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 15:26

More likely, reporting it yourself goes to your credit.

Of interest is that the punchbag is not saying very much, and what is said is via a lawyer.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 15:38

Originally Posted By: Emjay

Of interest is that the punchbag is not saying very much, and what is said is via a lawyer.

Yes, I noticed that. Some time-biding going on...?

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 16:32

I've looked up the punch bag, but came up with limited information about him. Where did he come from & what has he done?

I know this has no basis but his photograph of late makes him look a bit odd.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/03/2015 16:46

I hope TG isn't cancelled. Where else are we going to see a P1, 918 and La Ferrari showdown frown

Re: new series of top gear - 20/03/2015 20:21

Just for the hell of it..... A million & still counting, a stig in a tank, all for Jeremy. Well it really doesn't matter what you think about Top Gear, fans of the show their strength.

Can't remember such a strong following from the general TV watching public for a show never mind a fuel filled lads mag type one. Has to count for something..... driving

Re: new series of top gear - 20/03/2015 22:50

In a drunken deed, me and the mrs voted. So that means we are two in a million!

Re: new series of top gear - 20/03/2015 23:09

The issue the BBC now have is they are screwed either way. Being seen to let him off and they will criticised. And likewise if they punish him.

The more i see of the more i agree its JC plan.

Re: new series of top gear - 20/03/2015 23:32

I have a cunning plan my Lord..

Booby prize for naming the show and the character.

Re: new series of top gear - 21/03/2015 18:58

Is it 'As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?'

Re: new series of top gear - 24/03/2015 14:44

Newsthump said it, it must be true...

Clarkson to run for Mayor of London

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 14:11

Clarkson dropped.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 14:22

Yep. So that's that then !

I thought they would have to do it to make a point.

Coming to ITV soon !

"Bottom Gear "

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 14:36

To be honest, if everything the BBC are reporting is true then he deserved to be sacked.

I wonder if they'll continue without him.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 14:40

Interestingly enough, they've said they "will not be renewing his contract" rather than sacking him with immediate effect.

Might we see him in one final episode?

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 14:45

6 months away.

Undertake an anger management course.

Remorseful and apologetic.

Signs a new contract.

A new series of TG commissioned in 2016.

laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 17:25

It had to happen, you can't hit a college/colleges and get away with it regardless of who you are
Posted By: Azzura

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 17:48

It had to happen, you can't hit a college/colleges and get away with it regardless of who you are

Nope. I imagine you'd get several broken bones in your hand for a start, and possibly expelled for vandalism of the wall.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 18:28

Originally Posted By: Azzura

Nope. I imagine you'd get several broken bones in your hand for a start, and possibly expelled for vandalism of the wall.

laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 18:37

" we don't need no education...
just another brick in the wall [ missing maybe ] laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 18:47

Haha damn auto correct

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 18:53

May is selling his ferrari, guess that means he's not getting his wedge so I'd suggest it's over. Wouldn't be tg without the old git anyway

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 18:56

Well, look on the bright side, that's the last one of these threads!
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 18:58

Former presenter Steve Berry has suggested our man Guy for the job as presenter

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 19:04

Guy Martin could make a stonking car show, but why limit him to a 20-odd year old format?

Let it go, people, Top Gear has had its day. Bring on the new petrolheads show...

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 19:50

The BBC took no notice of a million petitioners so I think the show will go on, the brand is too big.
Hopefully new personnel will have new ideas.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 19:54

The BBC may as well finish it off rather than try and reinvent it, I suspect the three amigos may consider an alternative format on another channel?
Posted By: chrissy

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 20:03

Irrespective of all the wrongs Clarkson has done in recent years, Topgear is nothing without his odd humour and antics,

Oh I know, lets bring in Quentin Wilson.... laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 21:03

Top gear is dead.

A new show, new format totally new.

Guy Martin showing you how a car works, how to fix it and then driving it and complaining it's not a bike... Hmmm not sure.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 21:14

Perhaps they can broadcast a car show now

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 21:20

Originally Posted By: Cooperman
The BBC may as well finish it off rather than try and reinvent it, I suspect the three amigos may consider an alternative format on another channel?

and then stick the new show on at 8pm on a Saturday night just to knacker up the BBC's " strictly come prancing" garbage. See how the top knobs at the BBC enjoy that .

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 21:25

and with Mr Cowell and co on the other side, the remote control will become the golden chalice.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 21:43

I heard it was to be fronted by the ginger minger...

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 21:49

Well if TG is over, I confess I will miss it - much like I'd miss coverage of GPs if they went Sky only, but neither is essential and think of all the jobs we could get done around the place instead! rolleyes

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 21:52

Evans has already stated he's not remotely interested.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 22:19

Originally Posted By: Nello
Perhaps they can broadcast a car show now

Who wants a car show? 5th gear ended up on history channel as a car show. Ffs,it's entertainment!!! And ladish entertainment centered around cars, but now it's dead.

Hopefully the BBC will respect it's death and not try some resurrection shite with people pretending to be idiots rather than actually being idiots.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/03/2015 23:19

As much as I love ferrari's lambo's etc. I would not be remotely interested in a genuine car review show! When are the majority of the viewers going to go and by one based on a car review?!
This world is too serious, politically correct and legislated!! Why on earth do I want to watch something that conforms? Call it whatever you like top gear was about crossing the line, was based on Clarkson!
It's Clarkson that made me watch not ferrari's lambo's etc.
bbc has made a cock up although they didn't really have a choice! Bbc although politically correct will be the losers
I won't be interested in a general car show but will follow jc to his new posting
Loads of potential replacements but nah not interested thanks!
Posted By: chrissy

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 00:24

Originally Posted By: H_R
As much as I love ferrari's lambo's etc. I would not be remotely interested in a genuine car review show! When are the majority of the viewers going to go and by one based on a car review?!
This world is too serious, politically correct and legislated!! Why on earth do I want to watch something that conforms? Call it whatever you like top gear was about crossing the line, was based on Clarkson!
bbc has made a cock up although they didn't really have a choice! Bbc although politically correct will be the losers
I won't be interested in a general car show but will follow jc to his new posting

Ditto that!

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 02:35

Top Gear used to be a a Car Review Show! Ever heard of William Woollard?............I guess I'm knocking on....

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 06:33

How many times? It's *nothing* to do with the show and everything to do with the ability of the BBC's staff to do their work without being mugged by some egomaniac thinking with his fists.

It amazes me that the same people lambasting the BBC for having 'a culture of paedophilia' over Saville (where in all likelihood, only one or two people *knew* anything) are shouting just as loudly to keep this thug employed.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 07:11

Exactly Neil!

Just imagine working for a manager who might at any time turn around and start thumping you. This is not political correctness, it is simply the correct decision.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 07:24

In many ways I feel sorry for the BBC.

They've lost the most and Clarkson will undoubtedly come out of it gaining in the long run.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 07:25

Car review shows bore me. What I want to see is three chaps buying cars that are in my bloody price range, and then drive them across a dessert.
That gives me hope.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 07:48

Umm... Don't think I critsised the bbc other than stating the obvious! also stated they had no option! But then went on to say why I liked top gear, that it was interesting unique etc.
*not* how they should give him a job back! also said the bbc were the losers meaning *financially* and that I would follow JC and co to their next posting as I enjoyed watching that format!!

I do remember the old format! It was dull boring with patronising presenters in crimpolene trousers! Stopped watching it years ago and it was only after people started to talk about it at work that I started watching again never looked back since!

You can believe what you like about saville! I dont agree with your opinion!

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 08:07

Careful now, let's not resort to fisticuffs! wink laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 08:25

Originally Posted By: Nello
Top Gear used to be a a Car Review Show! Ever heard of William Woollard?............I guess I'm knocking on....

And it died a death and was reborn! Old top gear I'd 5th gear as they all moved to ch5, which died and went to distant sky channel. Which was my point.

The BBC had no choice but to let Clarkson go, he bust a guys lip so it's not like it was a bit of a premier league footballer fight!

It's strange how there are quite a few camps on this (I followed JC on twitter to see what was what)

We love JC
We hate JC
We love tg
We hate tg
BBC are wrong
BBC are right

Amazing that it's brought out so many people to comment!

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 09:48

Originally Posted By: chrissy
[quote=H_R]As much as I love ferrari's lambo's etc. I would not be remotely interested in a genuine car review show! When are the majority of the viewers going to go and by one based on a car review?!

Ditto that! [/quote ]

extra ditto smile

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 09:50

Blimey, we don't like change, do we...?

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 10:25

It's strange how there are quite a few camps on this (I followed JC on twitter to see what was what)

We love JC
We hate JC
We love tg
We hate tg
BBC are wrong
BBC are right

Amazing that it's brought out so many people to comment!

Can we be in all 6 camps at once? Or rather the first 4 + 6?

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 11:36

DaveG you can cross many! These just seem to be the angles of attack!
Posted By: Wishy

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 12:32

Can I put down for 1.5, 3.5 and 6 please?

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 12:37

Yes JC is the star of the show but not so sure he's completely irreplaceable. I've enjoyed many features presented exclusively by May or Hammond. If circumstances were different (imagine JC had been struck by illness) then I suspect the current series would have continued uninterrupted; merely a man down for the studio segments.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 12:49

May's solo programmes have been good. I like him. Hammond is not bad either.

I'm very interested to see what happens to the format of TG. Hammond and May must be wondering what to do.... since they aren't as rich as JC, they need steady employment !

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 13:05

May was interviewed by 5Live yesterday evening and he said he wasn't going to sign a new contract with the Beeb.

When asked where he'd work next, he said "Anywhere but the BBC"

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 13:13

Originally Posted By: bezzer
May was interviewed by 5Live yesterday evening and he said he wasn't going to sign a new contract with the Beeb.

When asked where he'd work next, he said "Anywhere but the BBC"

good....put them on c5 and let them say what they like....oops, that's called freedom of speech, we can't have that now, can we ?

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 13:19

frown Wonder what's so bad about working for the BBC? When you look back over the years these guys have been gifted a great many privileged experiences. Not to mention paid (I presume) rather handsomely for it.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 14:09

good....put them on c5 and let them say what they like....oops, that's called freedom of speech, we can't have that now, can we ?

I'd be interested to know what they could, or would, say on Channel 5 that wouldn't be covered by exactly the same rules as the BBC...

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 15:22

Although I found TG highly entertaining & to be honest disappointed it's now dead, I'm not going to defend Clarkson, however the BBC harbours a number of JC enemies that brought things quickly to the surface & the media have had a field day..stating the obvious over this.

The BBC indeed have their fans, but also their knockers. Full of controversial moments & scandals over the years going back several decades. They must have thought long & hard not to renew Clarksons contract being such a lucrative revenue. Just step back in history & there are in my mind anyway far worse scandals the Beeb were involved in, but hey it's their workplace & can play it their way.

Not so much as having a stab at the Beeb, more of an observation. As an end note, the Beeb must shoulder some of the responsibility here, certainly when it came down to scripts & the controversial humor that seemed to offend some people. They went along with this & the money kept rolling in. Anyone who thinks the BBC are clean need to look back at their history as I pointed out. Just saying.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 17:49

Originally Posted By: Barney
Yes JC is the star of the show but not so sure he's completely irreplaceable. I've enjoyed many features presented exclusively by May or Hammond. If circumstances were different (imagine JC had been struck by illness) then I suspect the current series would have continued uninterrupted; merely a man down for the studio segments.

JC can't be replaced because he writes the show... Anyone else would be a little more than imitation, or worse trying to be less of a bumbling idiot. Either way the show wouldn't work.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 19:06

Punch a producer, get sacked.

Abuse children, get a knighthood.

From Facebook.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 19:11

I'm a bit confused as to some on here still feel Jeremy Clarkson can be replaced & TG can carry on in a similar guise.

It's just aint going to happen pure & simple, Topgear is officially dead. There have been some ridiculous suggestions as to who may step into Clarksons shoes. Face up to the fact it's now like the Monty Python dead parrot....ceases to exist...

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 19:14

Off topic, jodie kidd is on ch5 with quentin doing classic cars.

It's dull but nigel may well be happy!

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 19:51

No there isn't a Clarkson clone that the masses would accept as a *direct* substitute. But it's rather far fetched to say the same type of content couldn't be generated by/with anyone else. Especially when you consider that the formula is so well established - to the point it sometimes disappoints regular viewers.
Wait and see the new Top Gears before deciding you must switch off. Not being the same doesn't necessarily mean worse.
Posted By: Azzura

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 19:54

Originally Posted By: nissansteve
Punch a producer, get sacked.

Abuse children, get a knighthood.

From Facebook.

Attack and bite a colleague - get promoted to Director General of the BBC ....

I won't watch. Simple.

And then I won't need to come on here and complain when I don't like it.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 20:18

And then I won't need to come on here and complain when I don't like it.

laugh

Looks like Evans is favourite to take over the mantle, wonder who his cohorts will be ? It wont be May or Hammond though. Looking forward to a new show with the three of them in it as long as they revamp it , but could be difficult to come up with new ideas and on a lesser budget, I bet . Hoping Sky don't go for it, I haven't got Sky !! [ ITV 2nd favourite at 7/4 to get it ]

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 20:23

Evans has stated live on radio that he has no interest so I doubt he'll do it.

Clarkson will land a chat show on itv, then perhaps something engineering related but I can't see a direct car show arriving.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 20:24

Thing is, will there be a Top Gear of any sorts? Will the BBC try to put something together? Top Gear as we all knew it will be no more.

I have no idea about anything else, so how the hell I can comment on something that's has no content I know of, I haven't the foggiest.

Re: new series of top gear - 26/03/2015 20:59

Given the Top Gear brand is such a cash cow for the BBC even more so abroad then I don't think anyone there can afford to take the decision to kill it off completely. Obviously it depends on what contractual rights (if any) JC has to the brand so it would be an odd decision for the BBC not to at least give it a go.

Re: new series of top gear - 27/03/2015 14:10

Guy Martin could make a stonking car show, but why limit him to a 20-odd year old format?

Let it go, people, Top Gear has had its day. Bring on the new petrolheads show...

I'd love for Guy to give it a go, but I doubt he'd ever agree to it.

Re: new series of top gear - 27/03/2015 14:58

If dubbed TG in Germany is anything to go by, replace the presenters with people of the same height and taste in clothes, no one will notice. The translation is done to suit the German language. It generally resembles the original wording but is often quite different, portraying the ideas in a locally understandable way. If the future content is basically entertaining enough, it could well still bring in good revenue worldwide, even if it is no longer as popular in the UK.

JC is not part of foreign modern culture like he is in the UK but TG is clearly still very popular. I believe the BBC could easily maintain the international revenue stream. The "UK side" on the other hand is actually the initial cost required to produce the program in the first place. Whether the BBC shows it in the UK or not might not even make any difference!

Re: new series of top gear - 27/03/2015 17:47

Would this one do? laugh
click to enlarge

Re: new series of top gear - 27/03/2015 17:57

Use this one and there would be no difference whatsoever. Except maybe in girth.

click to enlarge

Re: new series of top gear - 27/03/2015 19:12

Originally Posted By: Alesi
Would this one do? laugh
click to enlarge

Seen a report today suggesting the Russian Army TV want him to present their car show... http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/32070910

Re: new series of top gear - 27/03/2015 21:23

What about another feather ruffler by the name of Jeremy...

Paxman !

Re: new series of top gear - 08/04/2015 13:08

Well, well, well...

Clarkson back on BBC TV

Re: new series of top gear - 08/04/2015 19:15

He's sh!t on HIGNFY - it shows up all his inadequacies

Re: new series of top gear - 08/04/2015 19:23

Blimey, it must be a longer show than I remember...

Re: new series of top gear - 08/04/2015 19:45

The majority of people who appear on "have I got news for you" generally are shite & up their own arses. Anyone is fair game, some nasty lambasting done of course with a touch of humour at any cost.
Like anything else I suppose there is the odd diamond in the rough but not a huge fan.

Re: new series of top gear - 08/04/2015 21:23

The majority of people who appear on "have I got news for you" generally are shite & up their own arses.

Ideal for Clarkson then.....

Re: new series of top gear - 08/04/2015 22:02

Yawn.....

Re: new series of top gear - 08/04/2015 22:13

On that bombshell....page ten & counting. There are some on here who really get worked up over Clarkson & he obviously gets under their skin. Some individuals do irritate me on the box, but not like the repeated efforts on here. This takes time & effort....good night. laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 10/04/2015 05:27

Well, well, well...

Clarkson back on BBC TV

And then

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32244405

Re: new series of top gear - 10/04/2015 09:25

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Well, well, well...

Clarkson back on BBC TV

And then

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32244405

And then...

Nah, just kidding.

Re: new series of top gear - 10/04/2015 11:46

Paul and Ian would have ripped him a new 'un if he'd have gone on HIGNFY.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/04/2015 12:35

UK digital TV channel Dave has seen a huge spike in viewers following Jeremy Clarkson’s ‘fracas’ which led to him being sacked from the BBC.

Since its launch in 2007 Dave has regularly aired repeats of Top Gear, usually attracting around 300,000 viewers per episode.

But, since the show was axed by the BBC, up to 500,000 fans now tune into episodes shown during the 8pm slot on Dave – making it the most watched programme on digital channels after Sky Sports’ football coverage.

From MSN's car page...so i'm not alone then smile

Re: new series of top gear - 22/04/2015 15:00

Sue Perkins, the host of BBC One's The Great British Bake Off, was named the bookmakers' favourite to replace Clarkson a fortnight ago.

Bookmakers Coral said she was the front-runner for the job, followed by Dermot O'Leary and Jodie Kidd.

...if anyone of these 3 get the job, I for one won't be watching it again....looks like the un-shown footage from the last series is going to be shown later in the year smile

Re: new series of top gear - 22/04/2015 15:56

And - grotesquely - Sue Perkins (who was never approached to host the show, it was entirely a media invention) received death threats.

Re: new series of top gear - 22/04/2015 16:04

Doesn't really matter who they put in, if they do ?, no-one could replace the great oaf. May as well scrap the whole caboodle in my opinion, it will never be the same .
Dermot O'fr@@gin Leary, are they having a laugh, even Cowell got rid of him.

Re: new series of top gear - 22/04/2015 19:49

If jamiroquai wasn't such a hateful character he'd be a good replacement
Posted By: szkom

Re: new series of top gear - 22/04/2015 20:30

I reckon we'll get a HIGNFY style setup. We'll see a new presenter each week. Hammond and May are,IMO,strong enough personalities that it could work.

Re: new series of top gear - 22/04/2015 22:09

Stolen from another forum, posted by a friend who says he had too much time on his hands at work today.

JC on Time Team. That's a thought.

This is how I imagine the pilot show might run. I think it captures the essence of JC and the format of the show -

[Announcer] And now on Channel 4 we take you to Leicester where Jeremy Clarkson, James May, Richard Hammond and the rest of the Time Team are investigating an exciting find in a car park.

(Clarkson, May and Hammond are standing next to an archaeological dig surrounded by the invited audience with the more attractive females strategically placed in shot just behind.)

[Clarkson] Hello and welcome to Time Team. Some say it's a group of grown men fiddling with old ruins, some say we're just here to play with dirt. All we know is, we call it - The Dig.

This week we're in some godforsaken place called Leicester.

[May] What's wrong with Leicester?

[Clarkson] It's full of retarded halfwits that marry their own sisters.

[May] That's not true now, is it?

[Clarkson] Ok - cousins then.

[May] There are a lot of good curry houses that stay open late.

[Clarkson] No excuse to punch anyone then? What are you giggling about Hammond, you gerbil-sized girl?

[Hammond] I was just thinking........ we're in a car park, right?

[Clarkson] Yes?

[Hammond] Where they keep cars?

[Clarkson] Yes?

[Hammond] Didn't you use to drive those for a living once?

(Clarkson takes a step towards Hammond)

[May] JEZZA! STOP! You don't want us to end up on Channel 5.

(Clarkson composes himself and turns to camera)

[Clarkson] As you can see, we're standing at the edge of this pit where we're hoping to recover and reconstruct the skeleton of King Richard III.

[May] I love it when a Plantagenet comes together.

[Clarkson] These guys down there have been working for the last three months day in, day out, using only tiny paint brushes to uncover the find. The work is painstakingly slow - which is why I have brought THIS.

(Camera pans rapidly to giant JCB)

[Hammond] Oooooh! Can I have a go?

[Clarkson] Don't be silly you miniscule midget. You can't reach the pedals, and Captain Slow here won't be able to find the hole without a SatNav. Even if he does, he'll never finish it before midnight.

(Turns to camera)

[Clarkson] If this digger were a Hollywood film star it would be Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dolph Lundgren, and Vin Diesel on steroids all rolled into one. It's got a bucket nearly as wide as Cameron Diaz's mouth and it can swallow a huge load. Out of the pit lads, here I come!

(Jumps into JCB and trebles size of the pit with two scoops)

[Clarkson] Now that's how you dig a hole boys. Pick the bones out of that - and on that bombshell, we'll see you next week.

[Director] CUT!

[Clarkson] C'mon you two. Back to the hotel. I've told the producer to get us a huge steak dinner. Should be the perfect end to a good day's work.

Re: new series of top gear - 22/04/2015 22:55

Haha very creative and amusing, perfect format for television

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 19:08

Well it looks liks the final episode is going to get aired, and one of the slots features a Fiat 124 Spider vs MGB GT and Peugeot 304 cabrio, looks like Jezza's in the Spider so that must be the winner wink

Edit: my other car is a 124 Spider laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 19:29

Evans three year deal

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 19:37

Is anyone even slightly surprised by this?

The last half hour of the TFI Friday anniversary show was basically an audition for the part I thought.

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 19:43

He's no Clarkson but he is well suited to the part and we all know how enthusiastic he is about motoring, however In my opinion it won't work without Clarkson but I may and hope I end up eating my own words.

As for TFIF, how boring is Lewis Hamilton?? Born with a great gift but Sadly born without a personality.

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 20:12

Is anyone even slightly surprised by this?

The last half hour of the TFI Friday anniversary show was basically an audition for the part I thought.

That's exactly what my wife said!

He's checking out to see if he still really is popular on the TV and if so take the plunge with top gear as a ginger production! If tfi was a flop I'm not sure he would of had the bottle to do it!
Posted By: jasgol

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 20:14

Can't stand the cloud9, why are the BBC so in love with him?

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 20:20

Originally Posted By: jasgol
Can't stand the cloud9, why are the BBC so in love with him?

+1. thumb

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 20:29

Are we talking Clarkson or Evens here? Or Hammond or May for that matter.

Re: new series of top gear - 16/06/2015 23:58

As much as a car enthusiast as he is, and he is keen on italian cars, I just cannot stand the ginger tw@t either and would only bring myself to watch it to see how awful it has become. For me, he just reminds me of his tw@t-ish plasticine character on Bob the Builder rolleyes
Posted By: andyps

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 00:33

Listener figures for his Radio 2 show indicate he is popular, and how TV shows get good ratings. He is also very passionate about cars even if not as knowledgeable as Clarkson and May. Got to be worth a try and vastly preferable to some of the other names suggested, although they could still be part of the team I guess.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 06:32

Lets face it, as I said before TG is dead as we all knew it. Now, it doesn't matter who will host the show now, they will never live up to Clarkson. You can forget all the shenanigans of the past. The show is dead.

As for Evans, he's not all together the worst choice, I don't find that annoying.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 06:45

Lemme see:

Clarkson: loudmouth, opinionated, irritating, doesn't seem able to drive without smoking the tyres...
Evans: loudmouth, opinionated, irritating, don't know how he drives...

Not a lot to choose between, to be fair?

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 09:04

As the show is popular (for all it's failings, there certainly seems to be enough people watching it to say how shite it is if the threads on here are anything to go by) the only way I can see it remaining popular is to attract the C/M/H haters. Their supporters will hate the new format because they have to.

He can't be more of the same without trying to be Clarkson. He can't be anything less without being a pale imitation of him (which applies to his co-hosts The Gerbil And Capt Not Fast?). If he attempts to out-Clarkson Clarkson he'll be off air smile

He irritated the shit out of me on TGIF, I can't listen to him on the radio, so whichever way it goes, I'm out!

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 09:35

I'm in!

Well could be - depends what the sidekickery, if there are any, turns out to be. Loudmouth? check, irritating? check, boring, juvenile public school schtick? not check. It can only be better.

and I used to drink in the same pub as him (Steele's) when he had a Spitfire.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 10:16

As long as he does not bring along the TFI mentality he should be ok and will hopefully be a return to form for TG. He does like his cars............

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 11:57

Lot of hate for Evans.

I don't mind him. I enjoy his shoe on Radio 2 on the way to work and he's probably the best fit to replace Clarkson.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 13:29

Really can't make it more clear than I've already stated ....Top Gear is dead as we all knew it. The capers that the trio got up to, good bad or whatever made the show. All the haters that come on here & give their tuppence worth still used to watch & obviously in doing so felt the need to let off steam, perhaps making them feel better.

Although it seems Top Gear is going ahead with Evans, it's never going to be the same. I was never a huge fan of Clarkson "but" he was very good at what he did in TG & along with my wife we were entertained & liked what we saw, so it would seem the rest of the world thought so to. Evans is a very different kettle of fish altogether. I think his manic style may indeed irritate some fans. I'll be watching, I don't find him too irritating, after all it's only a show, nothing really to get all worked up about...no wait, ach lets see what the haters come up with.... smile

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 13:49

I think Chris will do quite well on a motoring show with some light entertainment thrown in, I also think he will do well with a female co-host. Think back to Big Breakfast with Chris and Gaby Roslin, they had some hilarious moments. Add the big budget the BBC throws at Top Gear and it should make an entertaining show.

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 13:56

You can't help who irritates you. Alan Carr, Keith Lemon, Paul O'Grady and Graham Norton are never on my TV, not even as guests on shows I do watch.

So although I don't like Evans, I won't be posting on here about how crap TG is now he's on it! smile
Posted By: robcoupe20vt

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 14:11

Lets face it, as I said before TG is dead as we all knew it. Now, it doesn't matter who will host the show now, they will never live up to Clarkson. You can forget all the shenanigans of the past. The show is dead.

As for Evans, he's not all together the worst choice, I don't find that annoying.

Top gear will change and providing they get the other two presenters right it will be good . Clarkson and evan are similar they are both like marmite people hate them people like them . Clarksons stupidness was ruinning the show . I am not a fan of evans but hope the show works . Most likely takes a couple of years

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 15:29

most on here wished that top gear needed tweaking as it was getting a bit stale, now we have our wish. Maybe we should just wait and see what he brings to the role and then air our views. Must be a better viewing spectacle than that rubbish with Quen and Jodie. [ 2 people who couldn't blend together in a blender ]. Roll on the last of TG when they air it.
Posted By: one4seven

Re: new series of top gear - 17/06/2015 16:30

Chris Evans is a top choice, proper petrol head and has more than a few brain cells (unlike Clarkson).

It'll be different, sure, but as long as expensive cars continue to be hooned around accompanied with the breathtaking camera/production work we've come to expect from TG, I'll be happy.

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 08:33

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I think Chris will do quite well on a motoring show with some light entertainment thrown in, I also think he will do well with a female co-host. Think back to Big Breakfast with Chris and Gaby Roslin, they had some hilarious moments. Add the big budget the BBC throws at Top Gear and it should make an entertaining show.

Evans confirmed earlier that there will be a female co-presenter.

So who will it be................

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 08:39

Jodie Kidd - easy on the eye love and she can drive better than most blokes - also a bit of a tomboy, so should fit well in the environment

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 08:50

Sandi Toksvig will be looking for a new gig after she quits the News Quiz this series... tongue

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 09:04

Good call but not sure if she's tied into any kind of contract with Channel 5 for The Classic Car Show.....

I quite like the idea of Sabine Schmidt. Now that girl can drive!

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 10:29

Danica Patrick?

Seems Suzi Perry is being hinted at

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 11:11

I can understand Suzi being in the shortlist, but she's simply not knowledgeable enough to cut it - I also don't think she's spontaneous or quick-witted enough

Yesterday, Chris said they were going to be holding auditions, which was exactly how Hammond and May were recruited

Edit - seems Jodie has Clarkson's blessing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11680835/Chris-Evans-Top-Gear-will-have-a-female-presenter.html

She has mine too....

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 11:36

Based on her F1 performance, it'd be another reason to body swerve the new TG!

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 14:09

The thing is, little of those points are relevant. It doesn't matter how quick witted and funny the presenters are, the show is scripted within an inch of its life - which is why James Kay's opinion of the nurburgring and car development on TG are identical to Richard Porter's in his Eco column.

Pretty well all the track driving, apart from the bits to camera are performed by a batallion of current and ex professional drivers, so the presenters don't have to be handy behind the wheel.

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 14:22

Originally Posted By: oxfordSteve
The thing is, little of those points are relevant. It doesn't matter how quick witted and funny the presenters are, the show is scripted within an inch of its life - which is why James Kay's opinion of the nurburgring and car development on TG are identical to Richard Porter's in his Eco column.

Pretty well all the track driving, apart from the bits to camera are performed by a batallion of current and ex professional drivers, so the presenters don't have to be handy behind the wheel.

Pretty much my thoughts. What ever line up happens I'll watch, but I'm pretty sure this wont cut the mustard. Can't see me making the effort I used to do when Clarkson was on Top Gear. As for the girly bit nah! most, if honest just want to see female bits, nothing wrong with that, but for me it's a man show driving Obviously not all will agree with me on that one wink

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 16:06

Originally Posted By: oxfordSteve

Other way round - because Clarkson, Hammond and May aren't particularly brilliant drivers, they have to draft in pro drivers. If at least one of the presenting crew is a handy pedaller, they won't need to.

Fifth Gear get on just fine with Tiff, Jason and Vicky - they don't need to draft in anyone else

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 16:22

Fifth Gear get on just fine with Tiff, Jason and Vicky - they don't need to draft in anyone else [/quote]

Fifth gear is an entirely different show altogether.

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 16:31

The point I think Nigel was making was that if they get in some presenters that can properly drive (like Fifth gear have got) they wouldn't need to draft in additional drivers. Content and presentation styles etc is something different.

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 16:42

Well aware what's being said. Top Gear is a show for grown up school boys good/bad/haters alike..it works. Those that watch quite happily are really not that bothered in what means or how they go about the end result....simple but effective. I'm also aware that the haters have a point & don't like the show, no big deal. I'm not being flippant I'm just stating facts. smile

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 16:53

I dont think anyone suggested they did care (or not) - it was a couple of observations as to how the driving is done.

Personally I think a show for petrolheads would benefit from presenters who really know how to drive. As I said the content, presentations styles, production methods can/could all be retained but just use the presenters for more than just presenting.

I am on the fence on the whole saga to be honest so have no agenda but as the changes has already happened I think you may as well get some presenters that can actually drive on a car show rather than the current situation. YMMV.

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 17:20

I think you're missing my point, I'm only pointing out Top Gear is what it is, & is liked simply for the very thing that others don't like it. 5th gear was mentioned, different set up altogether.

I'm not wanting people to be exactly like me & agree that TG is the best ever, I accept some will hate the show. Hell I come from a time black&white telly (if you could afford one) was the norm'. Car shows back then in fact any kind of bloke show was dire. Top Gear for me is/was two fingers up to the establishment & entertaining along with schoolboy humour. OK not the end of the world because of it's demise, but I really can't see anything coming close to fill the shoes of the TG trio. Just my thoughts, but at an educated guess there will be more like me the world over.

RIP Top Gear as we all knew it.

OK I went a bit overboard soapbox

Re: new series of top gear - 18/06/2015 23:13

Best motor show on tv is " wheeler dealers " in my opinion, as least they show some technical stuff and how the work is carried out. Learnt more from this programme than any of the others or all the others combined.
Top Gear was more a comedy show, loved by millions worldwide.

Re: new series of top gear - 19/06/2015 11:34

Wheeler dealers is getting less and less technical as the show goes on. In series one it was a massive head ache when they removed an engine. Now they seem to do it every week!

Re: new series of top gear - 19/06/2015 12:57

The bloke who does all the work is ok, but that other one is a waste of space.

The first series of For The Love Of Cars on channel 4 was well worth watching, the second was a bit....a lot of a let down.

Re: new series of top gear - 19/06/2015 21:53

Originally Posted By: cyborg7
Given the Top Gear brand is such a cash cow for the BBC even more so abroad then I don't think anyone there can afford to take the decision to kill it off completely ... so it would be an odd decision for the BBC not to at least give it a go.

I think Chris Evans is as good as choice as any. Any decision was going to be divisive, but at least he's a genuine petrol head. I don't remember Clarkson ever attending Autoitalia and chatting to the proletariat, despite it being on his doorstep.

It may not work and like you say in any case the old format is dead and buried. Let's hope they just come up with a completely new format as futile to breath life into the old (which everyone was bored with anyway).

Re: new series of top gear - 19/06/2015 22:05

I'll watch any half decent car program.

Bring it on.

Re: new series of top gear - 20/06/2015 04:39

I'll watch any half decent car program.

Bring it on.

Exactly

Re: new series of top gear - 24/06/2015 15:36

All car shows are contrived one way or another, although that in itself doesn't put me off watching any petrol head show. Wheeler Dealers is no exception but one of the more cheesier efforts, easy going, still worth a watch. The punter who buys the car at the end of the show is generally fake. It's scripted to a degree, but hey, I like to see all the shiny bits.

Re: new series of top gear - 25/06/2015 20:33

shocked Next you'll be telling me the rows between Paul Sr and Paul Jr on American Chopper are staged?

Re: new series of top gear - 25/06/2015 21:24

I've only seen that show a couple of times by mistake, it's really bad, had to switch off before I punched the screen, no it is very disturbing for more than the obvious.... crazy

Re: new series of top gear - 25/06/2015 23:33

Here is a car show from the last century I used to like.
1998 with me and the Missus in it blush

Lego on Deals on Wheels

Wish I still had the Subaru Legacy Turbo that I changed it for love

Re: new series of top gear - 28/06/2015 21:43

RIP top gear . The last ever episode in this format with these three presenters and instead of going out with a bang it was poor to say the least . The funniest part and it had nothing to do with cars was Hammond on the plane . Anybody noticed Clarksons attitude like he had given up on the show and did not want to be there . Maybe he wanted the sack all along .

Re: new series of top gear - 28/06/2015 23:42

funny how they got away with the word " basta@d a few times, normally wouldn't ! Not bad tonight, thought they could have ended it with a bit more grace, instead of a half hearted thanks for watching.
Out with the old and in with the new.

Re: new series of top gear - 28/06/2015 23:50

It was all a bit half hearted and not the way I would have wanted TG to depart. Oh well let's see what comes next smile

Re: new series of top gear - 29/06/2015 08:07

Although stitched together with the bits they had canned, I thought it was quite a funny episode. I don't think the new series will be anything like as farcical

Re: new series of top gear - 29/06/2015 17:14

No real surprises here, as said bits & pieces that were put together. The trio weren't really allowed to do o proper send off. To me it looked like Hammond & May seemed not to have their hearts in the studio without Clarkson. It was what it was. Top Gear really couldn't go on indefinitely, the trio all new this. Reading between the lines Clarkson had major enemies in the circuit. I honestly think that we will never hear the 100% truth about other issues.

OK it was only an entertaining car show/high jinks, but it certainly worked for a lot of viewers.

Re: new series of top gear - 13/11/2015 15:47

Quote:

And there we have it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34809758

Re: new series of top gear - 13/11/2015 15:58

Mmmm, read this as well. I have no take on the Irish one, & I'm certainly not in possession of all the facts of either side. I have no doubt that some on here will not shed any tears towards Clarkson, but I suspect the Irish chappie will feel the force from Clarkson's fans. Easy money I observe if the Irish one wants to go that way.

Re: new series of top gear - 13/11/2015 21:22

Can't help but think the timing is very deliberate given Clarkson has teaser adverts out at the moment.

Re: new series of top gear - 13/11/2015 23:04

Why was Michael shouting into the camera from about 6ft away?

Re: new series of top gear - 14/11/2015 09:59

Mmmm, read this as well. I have no take on the Irish one, & I'm certainly not in possession of all the facts of either side. I have no doubt that some on here will not shed any tears towards Clarkson, but I suspect the Irish chappie will feel the force from Clarkson's fans. Easy money I observe if the Irish one wants to go that way.

Why would the "irish chappie" feel the full force of clarkson fans . Hes left the BBC and got his much better paying gig ? Clarkson is a goof and top gear is dead .

Re: new series of top gear - 14/11/2015 12:06

Why would the "irish chappie" feel the full force of clarkson fans . Hes left the BBC and got his much better paying gig ? Clarkson is a goof and top gear is dead . [/quote]

Erm, just an observation, slightly tongue in cheek. I have no idea about Tymons situation.

Aye forums can be funny places at times & things can be interpreted in different ways, try not to take things too personally. smile

Re: new series of top gear - 14/11/2015 13:34

Why would the "irish chappie" feel the full force of clarkson fans . Hes left the BBC and got his much better paying gig ? Clarkson is a goof and top gear is dead .

Erm, just an observation, slightly tongue in cheek. I have no idea about Tymons situation.

Aye forums can be funny places at times & things can be interpreted in different ways, try not to take things too personally. smile [/quote]
i dont take things serious but curious to know why Clarksons fans would care . If i was in that situation and he hit me i could do two things . Either hit him back and given him a pasting or sued him for assault . I cant make my mind up ?

Re: new series of top gear - 14/11/2015 14:10

Originally Posted By: robcoupe20vt

Aye forums can be funny places at times & things can be interpreted in different ways, try not to take things too personally. smile

i dont take things serious but curious to know why Clarksons fans would care . If i was in that situation and he hit me i could do two things . Either hit him back and given him a pasting or sued him for assault . I cant make my mind up ? [/quote]

Aye, that's life for you, always keeping you wondering.... chinny

Re: new series of top gear - 04/02/2016 11:24

Didn't see that coming - Matt LeBlanc as presenter?!

Re: new series of top gear - 04/02/2016 11:31

Selling it to the Yanks

Re: new series of top gear - 04/02/2016 12:25

Originally Posted By: mikndo69
Selling it to the Yanks

They've been selling it to the Yanks for years.

Re: new series of top gear - 04/02/2016 21:38

Thought there was a yank version

Re: new series of top gear - 04/02/2016 22:41

I think there are versions all over the world as the franchise was sold widely.

quick wiki scan

Top Gear Australia, Australian adaptation of the UK series
Top Gear France, French adaption of the UK series
Top Gear Korea, Korean adaptation of the UK series
Top Gear Russia, Russian adaptation of the UK series
Top Gear (U.S. TV series), U.S. adaptation of the UK series
Posted By: andyps

Re: new series of top gear - 04/02/2016 23:17

The photo Chris Evans tweeted today confirmed that Chris Harris is part of the team for Top Gear - https://twitter.com/achrisevans/status/695269671054999552 - so at least there is one motoring journalist involved.

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 05:53

Good luck to them. Cant be any worse than the last, at the end the attitude and antics of Clarkson was really annoying; all of the episodes and antics were clearly staged!

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 05:54

Chasing Classic Cars is good; over on Discovery. It's a laid back kinda show, and Wayne is not the most "fun guy" you'll ever meet, but the cars and the buying and selling parts are great.

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 14:38

Originally Posted By: patch234
Good luck to them. Cant be any worse than the last, at the end the attitude and antics of Clarkson was really annoying; all of the episodes and antics were clearly staged!

Come off it Patch laugh Of course the whole show was staged & contrived ..... It was what it was. Tune in, hang on & enjoy the ride, simple.

What's coming next will be a whole different show. Obviously we will all wait & see how they'll go about things... chinny

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 14:59

Originally Posted By: patch234

Come off it Patch laugh Of course the whole show was staged & contrived ..... It was what it was. Tune in, hang on & enjoy the ride, simple.

What's coming next will be a whole different show. Obviously we will all wait & see how they'll go about things... chinny

I agree Jim, but it got worse ... more contrived and more staged over the years, so much that latterly, it became blatantly obvious. I like CH, let's see thumb

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 16:12

CH?? Cheese? Chess? Chests??
Chimps? Chickens??

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 16:22

CH?? Cheese? Chess? Chests??
Chimps? Chickens??

I think he means Chris Hevans?

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 16:37

Chris Harris - and I like cheese too

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 16:58

Standards are slipping Patch nerdJust initials or shortened versions will not do at all. nono

laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 17:32

Although I think Chris Evans will do a good job, I did like the Newsthump take on it...

http://newsthump.com/2016/02/05/leblanc-...st-acting-role/

Re: new series of top gear - 05/02/2016 20:22

Been posted... deleted!

Re: new series of top gear - 07/02/2016 07:29

ITV News reporting that the EJit (Eddie Jordan) is set to join Evans too.
Posted By: mr_tickle

Re: new series of top gear - 07/02/2016 10:51

rolleyes
suicide

Re: new series of top gear - 07/02/2016 14:39

Does anyone actually like Eddie Jordan? laugh

Re: new series of top gear - 07/02/2016 19:43

Eddie Jordan perhaps?

Re: new series of top gear - 07/02/2016 20:05