Fiat Coupe Club UK

Mac Apps and stuf

Posted By: Hyperlink

Mac Apps and stuf - 20/02/2015 11:50

So I have got a Macbook Air to have a play with - any recommendations for Apps etc I should consider?

Already install most of the one I use on a PC so have many of the usual recommended ones. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 20/02/2015 12:32

For games: WELDER is the best word game I've ever seen, if that floats your boat, and The Room 1 & 2 are great puzzle solvers. Monument is a fun way to pass a few hours.

Not that I spend my entire life on my iPad playing silly games, you understand.
Posted By: paulw

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 20/02/2015 14:12

To be honest, the most appropriate answer is .....

only the ones that you need!

It's too easy just to install apps that might be useful or have been recommended, but usually remain dormant on the desktop.

I never look for, or install anything until I have a need and a current application can't do what I want.

Takes will power mind you smile

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 20/02/2015 14:48

Thanks Jim but I am interested on OSX apps rather than iOS wink

Paul, was thinking more of good mac alternatives that I might not know about or that aren't available on PC to try out. I only install something if its likely to get used.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 20/02/2015 16:11

I only have the ones I need installed. The Air is great but suffers from limited storage so I keep mine pared down to the minimum
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 20/02/2015 16:15

Depends what you need to do on the machine, then.

What are you using it for?

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 20/02/2015 18:16

I have the 256 gb version so not that bad on storage but much less than my shity dell. So what do you installed MRS? I have a couple of usb3 disks i will probably use to use for large storage when travelling.

What I am looking to use it for is to replace my very heavy and large Dell xps. Its not as powerfull but has enough grunt more most things. I am rebuilding a desktop plus i have a xeon based server for more hardcore stuff like gaming.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 20/02/2015 18:27

I have mostly just the standard Mac stuff (Notes, iMovie etc) plus a few bits n bobs like MyExpatNetwork, Garmin Connect and stuff like that. It's really my on-the-go machine.
Posted By: paulw

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 22/02/2015 22:33

Sorry, haven't been able to connect again until today ....

If you a looking for Mac equivalents for Windows type apps. or just good Mac versions I can probably list a few that I have found extremely useful, but it would help if you could give an indication of the type of thing you want.

Your needs are probably a bit different to mine!

A short list that might help ....

• Coda 2 - Excellent for web development
  • MS Office 2011 - Cheaper than the Windows version as well
  • Handbrake - for ripping CDs / DVDs and re-coding them
  • 1Password - excellent password vault and generator

There are lot's of excellent apps out there for most things. I made the switch to all Mac about 5 years ago and would never go back.
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: Mac Apps and stuf - 25/02/2015 02:20

f.lux
coconutBattery
OnyX
FuzzyClock
AppZapper
Airfoil
CleanMyMac
Undercover or Prey
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK