Fiat Coupe Club UK

Official Belgium GP

Posted By: bezzer

Official Belgium GP - 21/08/2015 10:00

50 minutes into practice and the headlines so far......

Hamilton fastest.
Rosberg still in the garage.
McLarens 3+ seconds off the pace
Maldonado has paid a visit to the wall rolleyes

Predictions -

Quali
-----

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel.

Race
----

As above.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Official Belgium GP - 21/08/2015 10:23

Hopefully the racing will make up for the underwhelming pre-race.

Ferrari have retained Raikkonnen (to my surprise), which knocks on to Bottas (presumably staying at Williams) and possibly Button, who may now get retired in favour of Magnussen (shame, as I think Button would do a better job developing the McLaren, but I think he'll be happy enough in whatever he goes on to do).
Posted By: bezzer

Re: Official Belgium GP - 21/08/2015 14:09

Remember the tyres from a couple of years ago that would without warning just explode? Well, Rosberg has just had one. Quite spectacular. Luckily nobody hurt but a bit of damage to his Merc.

The Pirelli chaps are now very busy in all the teams garages!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Official Belgium GP - 21/08/2015 14:33

The footage of the tyre slowly disintegrating was quite amazing. How it did not get noticed in the car amazes me.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Official Belgium GP - 21/08/2015 14:59

Incredible. One lucky boy
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Official Belgium GP - 21/08/2015 22:03

Got some pictures and video of the Sauber being recovered.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Official Belgium GP - 23/08/2015 18:34

I can understand Vettels frustration over the blow out but trying to one stop at Spa was always going to be a big ask on these tyres!
Once again Lulu shows he has the pace over Rosberg who must be wondering just what he has to do to get on even terms. A pact with the devil maybe:)
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Official Belgium GP - 23/08/2015 20:58

Fantastic trip, just finished our last meal in Stavelot.

Back home tomorrow. Saw vettel go past and can imagine the disappointment for the tyre to let go so late on.
Lewis on form as expected when seeing him in qualifying.

Full review on return if people consider going next year.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Official Belgium GP - 23/08/2015 22:17

We waved, Rueben, but you didn't wave back!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Official Belgium GP - 24/08/2015 12:33

Seb was certainly pushing it with a 1-stopper - especially with Spa's distance per lap but I've also not seen them be so aggresive over the kerbs there before - especially over the top of Eau Rouge and in to Radillon. I'm sure that must also have been a contributing factor.....
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Official Belgium GP - 24/08/2015 15:11

I think the point that they were trying to argue was that there was no warning (like a large drop-off in grip) to pre-warn them. Tyre failures and punctures in general seem to be far less common than a generation of drivers ago though.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Official Belgium GP - 24/08/2015 15:58

Pirelli are stalling with their excuses imo.
Yes the top of eau is VERY bumpy if you get all four wheels on the red and yellow,s. It does unload the car quickly though.
But the tyre should not explode it should wear out.
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Official Belgium GP - 24/08/2015 18:55

Given that Pirelli said that the tyre was good for 40 laps, and they gave up after 28, I think finger-boy has a point
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Official Belgium GP - 24/08/2015 19:29

On a Friday Waggy finger along with Hamilton and Alonso voiced serious concerns over the tyres. Surely if you really were that concerned you would not have chosen to run a tyre, one that is designed to wear out, well beyond what anyone expected of it. The 40 laps thing can't have been official advice to everyone, if it were more teams would surely have attempted it.

The finger boy was I suspect also upset with the team too but chose not to be publically angry about that. During the race he did question the team advice to run the tyre to the end but still followed their decision, rather than his own. For me this made his outburst a little shallow, had he finished he would have been standing their taking the plaudits for making an inspired decision.

Posted By: barnacle

Re: Official Belgium GP - 24/08/2015 19:51

Said it before and I'll say it again: stay between the white lines and half the tyre problems go away. It's time the officials were more aggressive with the drivers that can't stay on the track.

If it's painted red and yellow or green, it's not there to drive on.
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Official Belgium GP - 24/08/2015 20:00

Put all the gravel traps back, they'll give it more space then!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK