Fiat Coupe Club UK

Who knows about wine?

Posted By: mattB

Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 19:24

I am nowhere near sophisticated enough to drink wine - I'll stick to beer; however my parents do and I'm there for Christmas.

I thought I'd take them a couple of bottles and that perhaps the good people of fccuk could assist with recommendations. Guidelines are:

- Red
- I can buy it at Tesco/Sainsburys
- They probably wouldn't normally spend much more than £5, so something <£15 would do nicely

Go!
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 19:27

Red or white or something else?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 19:34

A good New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is a quite good aperitif, tangy and citrus/gooseberry-ish.

A red....a decent Rioja is full-bodied, or a Medoc if you can get it at that price. For Italian, a nice Chianti.

Look at the back to see if it's oaked, that'll give it a sort of oily texture but many people like that and it's often a tad stronger.

Too much choice! But spend more for a better result.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 19:49

Red Shiraz or Pinotage, get any around the £7 and that should be fine.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 19:51

I like Merlot in red and Sancerre in white - but the choice is massive. At £10 or above, you probably won't wrong on quality just taste.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 19:52

Agree with Simon on the white. Pinot Gris another lovely white.
Push the boat out for a stonking red.. Southern Rhone...Chateauneuf De Pape. A very big spicey wine.
Posted By: H_R

Re: Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 20:06

Rioja about £10 mark possibly a reserve
Failing that a hardys crest but cannot remember my preferred variety there are 2 or 3 I think
French and Italian can be nice but in my opinion only if you buy the dearer wine around £10 plus but I cannot recommend one of the top of my head
Generally anything above £10 should be nicer than the £5 stuff you say they normally drink!
Have fun
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 22:04

Alsace Pinot noir = happy parents party
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Who knows about wine? - 21/12/2015 23:57

Originally Posted By: jimboy

Push the boat out for a stonking red.. Southern Rhone...Chateauneuf De Pape. A very big spicey wine.

If it wasn't for the price difference this is the one I would have plumped for.

Mmmmm....
Posted By: andyps

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 00:05

Originally Posted By: magooagain
Alsace Pinot noir = happy parents party

Get me a bottle and I'll be happy too!! Difficult to find in the UK unfortunately,and may push the boundaries of the £15 too.

Can't remember how much it was but pretty close to the £15 Aldi had a Margaux last time I was in, that should be a very good wine and is good value in the UK - Aldi wines generally are pretty good.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 00:52

I don't usually like any red wine, but as some people on here know, I recently tried one that I actually like and still do, above any others I've tried.

Most on here will turn their nose up at my suggestion, but as I know you'll get want to go and get it bought, without the messing around, then I would suggest the Gallo Family Pinot Noir.

This is it: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=272854500

Available in Tesco and Sainsburys for around £6.50 a bottle or if you are near an Asda, it's currently £5.50.

As you know, I'm a unsophisticated beer drinker like you Matt laugh but even if you don't get this for your parents, try it yourself, it's not bad cool
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 09:33

If you can find a Margaux, I'd share andyps's suggestion, but wines vary in flavour so much that one of your parents might hate it, the other llove it.
My personal bargain favourite at the moment is Hardy's Crest at £5 in Tesco. Big flavour and easy to drink.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 11:50

Originally Posted By: andyps
Aldi wines generally are pretty good.

Great call. I've got all my Christmas wine from Aldi. They have an award winning Kiwi Pinot Noir which is to die for at less then £7 a bottle.

If it's a White, then their Australian Riesling is wonderful.

But as has already been said, everybody is different...
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 12:07

For easy drinkers (not too heavy etc) try a Cotes du Rhone (Villages or Cru) or a nice Beaujolais.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 21:27

We recently tried and really enjoyed a Chilean Melbac wine from Tesco, quite smooth and full bodied and only £6 a bottle, a real bargain in my view
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 22:02

Red from Argentina
White from Chile
Red from South Africa
Red from Australia
White from New Zealand

Won't go far wrong with this rule of thumb smile
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 22:15

Waitrose do a couple of nice Malbecs around the £10-12 mark.
Posted By: Possum

Re: Who knows about wine? - 22/12/2015 22:22

Originally Posted By: Mark_S
Red from Argentina
White from Chile
Red from South Africa
Red from Australia
White from New Zealand

Won't go far wrong with this rule of thumb smile

Agree with this comment.

If you can find some reds from Margaret River region of Western Australia, suggest you try one. Vasse Felix Merlot is good and retails here for around $15 (about 7.50 GBP).
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who knows about wine? - 23/12/2015 08:33

If your folks are used to spending a fiver just go and buy any merlot for around a tenner. Merlot is the most rounded - read a bit bland and lacking any distinctive character - so will go down without any offence. For white, Villa Maria sauvignon blanc (big bold flavour - as they're always saying on Masterchef) or a ten quid prosecco. Ten quid proseccos are usually pretty good.
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Who knows about wine? - 23/12/2015 08:40

I am drinking an awfully large volume of Argentinian Red at the moment. Nice and big and fruity.

Jim swapped a bottle of Rioja for an Xbox a couple of years ago that was absolutely stunning. Can't remember what it was called though....
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Who knows about wine? - 23/12/2015 12:35

Originally Posted By: oxfordSteve

Jim swapped a bottle of Rioja for an Xbox a couple of years ago that was absolutely stunning. Can't remember what it was called though....

It was recommended by a proper expert, but I can't even remember his name, never mind the wine's...
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Who knows about wine? - 23/12/2015 15:22

As this thread shows there are wines out there for everyone. I've been a lover of the grape for many a year now, but you don't really need to be an sommelier to appreciate this beverage.

For the eager pupil who wants to sample the varied differences between wines or even just curious, I would recommend going along to Oddbins or Majestic wine tastings or any other tastings that you know of. A cheap & pleasurable way of getting to know about the grape varieties....

At the end of the day it's all down to you & your tastebuds or whoever you are purchasing for.

Just for the record Aldi do for the price some half decent drinkable wines, their Argentinian Malbec ain't half bad, you said your folks prefer red Matt.
Posted By: H_R

Re: Who knows about wine? - 23/12/2015 16:13

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
Originally Posted By: oxfordSteve

It was recommended by a proper expert, but I can't even remember his name, never mind the wine's...

Must of been a mighty fine wine then! hehe

As Jim says you cannot go to far wrong with a wine from the Southern Hemisphere including Argentinia!
Posted By: Possum

Re: Who knows about wine? - 24/12/2015 08:21

Just had a glass of Yellow Tail 2015 Shiraz. smile

A very drinkable young red, enjoy.
Posted By: MCMike

Re: Who knows about wine? - 24/12/2015 08:29

I like Chablis smile
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Who knows about wine? - 24/12/2015 11:21

Originally Posted By: MCMike
I like Chablis smile

I don't think that's the full story somehow Mike?
Posted By: mattB

Re: Who knows about wine? - 26/12/2015 09:25

Thanks for the recommendations folks - given the variety in feedback, in the end I used my best guessing skills to select two random bottles. One was consumed yesterday; Sainsburys Taste the Difference Barbaresco which seemed to be enjoyed.

The other was/is a Malbec which looks to have been started at some point last night, though no feedback yet....
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK