Fiat Coupe Club UK

Prince RIP

Posted By: Anonymous

Prince RIP - 21/04/2016 19:05

Another celeb gone. What is going on this year?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Prince RIP - 21/04/2016 19:11

Such sad news, three great names this year already, RIP Prince frown frown frown

Re: Prince RIP - 21/04/2016 19:34

More shocking news. I am gutted.

One of my favourite Prince performances..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y&list=RD6SFNW5F8K9Y#t=5

..although there are other great ones (Superbowl)
Posted By: H_R

Re: Prince RIP - 21/04/2016 20:20

Agree really sad news!
I went to see him back in 1990 I think and I'm sure it was Milton Keynes?
He was amazing to watch really talented! Will definitely be missed!
The film was really good watched it a few times and as recently as last year!
I also have the video of the 1995 USA concert! Is a really brilliant concert and Purple rain for 18 odd minutes awesome!!!

R.I.P. Prince

Re: Prince RIP - 21/04/2016 20:39

Couldn't stand him or his music or his self indulgence.

Not very old at 57 though.
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: Prince RIP - 21/04/2016 20:47

I saw him around 1990 too! Wembley arena, also recently 2015 at the Leeds arena, superb musician/songwriter it was like watching Little Richard playing like Hendrix at times another proper instrument playing artist gone.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Prince RIP - 21/04/2016 21:36

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
Couldn't stand him or his music or his self indulgence.

Not very old at 57 though.

I'm the same Muzzie.I found his patter irritating & very bizarre.

Re: Prince RIP - 21/04/2016 22:45

I saw him at Wembley as well. Late eighties for the Lovesexy tour, I'd been there a few times and he was the only one that made the hanger work - round stage in the middle. When walked out on the gantry closest to us he was about 20ft away, Janet Jackson was sitting directly behind us. Unforgettable night and I've still got a dollar bill ftom the thousands that fell from the ceiling.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 01:34

frown RIP Prince.

Not a big fan, but a couple of his songs stuck with me, as well as some he wrote for others.

57 frown
Posted By: Clintos

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 03:01

Originally Posted By: Barney
Another celeb gone. What is going on this year?

They are human too and can't live forever, although a few of them think they can

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 07:39

This article sums it up better Clintos:
Clicky

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 08:26

I never usually respond to things such as this, mainly because those who have passed I never knew and they never knew me. It's simply evolution at work. I doubt they or their family would mourn my passing so I won't mourn theirs. To put it bluntly.

As far as Prince goes, he came along, had a few hits and a probably many parties in 1999 and lived the life of riley thereafter.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 08:41

I saw him twice, the best Live act I've ever seen. A very talented musician and songwriter.

RIP.

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 08:53

Thousands of people will die today .... all of them I am sure did something great

.... Maybe I am being a tad grumpy today...

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 10:19

TBH Phil, I don't really know why you commented on this thread.....

I like the guys music, I like the music he wrote for other artists and I saw him Live and enjoyed every moment of it.

That's why I commented on an 'RIP Prince' thread.

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 11:24

Originally Posted By: bezzer

I like the guys music, I like the music he wrote for other artists and I saw him Live and enjoyed every moment of it.

Yeah, you're right, my bad bezzer. Should of kept thoughts to myself smile

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 11:50

Originally Posted By: patch234
Originally Posted By: bezzer

Yeah, you're right, my bad bezzer. Should of kept thoughts to myself smile

thumb

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 12:01

I wasn't a massive fan, certainly not enough to have ever spent my own money on his music, but I always found him fascinating and different to every other artist. He was a true artist too, he almost always played all the instruments on his records and he was highly accomplished at them all - his guitar-playing was right up there with the best at times, and so many different styles!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 14:33

Originally Posted By: proccy
I wasn't a massive fan, certainly not enough to have ever spent my own money on his music, but I always found him fascinating and different to every other artist. He was a true artist too, he almost always played all the instruments on his records and he was highly accomplished at them all - his guitar-playing was right up there with the best at times, and so many different styles!

Very well put.

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 19:40

Slightly off topic but this thing of people offering up their sympathies to someone who has died in the media one way or the other is relatively new to be honest, & in lots of ways this is in keeping with the "tinternet" & almost a fad, but I accept this seems to be accepted by certain age groups forums of many a subject. Like Patch I rarely comment on someone croaking it, but there have been the odd occasion I've forced my view selfishly on the ones that have been legends one way or another in my life so far.

I have no real thoughts on anything if someone wants to comment on such things, the problem starts when someone takes observations/information according to another's views personally. Like it or not, not everyone has the same thoughts/views of you,me or others.
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 21:47

On the contrary. Look at footage outside Gracelands in 1977. No internet then, and it was almost 40 years ago.
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 21:48

Or footage post the JFK shoot. 53 years ago.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 22:07

We have lost some great talent this year and prince is one of them.
I have great memories of the recently departed songs etc.

But I think the older posters here are just coming to terms what wait's

I am in that group.

But what a journey we are having, 60,s 70,s 80, s.!

Thankyou Mum and Dad for our freedom.

Re: Prince RIP - 22/04/2016 23:04

[quote=Roadking]On the contrary. Look at footage outside Gracelands in 1977. No internet then, and it was almost 40 years ago. [/quote

Ah RK, you know exactly what I mean. It's one thing to express a view, but this thing nowadays where the "tinternet" & all that it entails, where it's just too easy to post up anything you want & put out there things, faceweb etc, etc etc......Well as I said, you know where I'm coming from. So don't come the hippy with me.. nono
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 09:25

I think there's a recent change in public behaviour, in the last twenty years ago. I suspect the influence is from the States, but I don't know... fan behaviour has always been driven by group mores, whether it's how to behave at a football match or a music gig, but this sudden expression of public grief is recent.

As recently as WW2 it was considered extreme bad manners to do anything other than maintain a dignified silence on news of a death, even of a close family member. Now we have people who claim to be unable to function without the presence of *CELEB* whom they might never have met or possible even never seen.

Strange.

Seems to me that the correct response to learning of the death of someone with whom you have no close relationship is 'Hmm, that's a shame.'

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 10:06

Nail on the head Barnacle.

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 11:33

Celebrity culture and obsession with celebrity - particularly how anyone it seems regardless of talent are deemed to be a 'celeb' these days just by appearing on tv - is a fascinating and interesting subject (but a whole different subject for another day)

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 11:43

Quote:
Seems to me that the correct response to learning of the death of someone with whom you have no close relationship is 'Hmm, that's a shame.'

Which is more or less the limited depth of sadness being expressed here along with respect for what the man did during his time. Can't we simply acknowledge his death and show some admiration for his talent without having to quantify or justify it?
IMO people have discussed recent events long before the internet and I really don't understand how this is any different. It is under 'General Chat' after all.

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 12:48

Barney, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. For me I'm referring to social media sites & the way over the top explanations some post up about putting a huge spin on some trivial matter. Of course people have discussed events/deaths/you name it long before the "tinternet",face to face & that's fine. The norm nowadays seems to be a singular event & keep in touch by some form of electrical gadgetry phone my point is that(not on here) some post up way over the top stories/views to all & sundry out there, & it's like a hobby for some, a fashionable thing to do, wearing a badge of honour if you know what I mean.

Perhaps I'm a wee bit over the place but there seems to be a spin on almost anything these days, just for the hell of it. Even as a grumpy git I feel social media sites/some forums express way over the top views........Deep breath...... hippy

On the bad side of this & off topic, remember Jane Goody & the vast onslaught that was directed towards here via social media when she died. She may not have been everyone's cup tea, but it was way out of order that some posted up about her. OK that's me done now..... shout

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 20:10

Unfortunately this age of mass communication and connection means your just going to hear more & more out pourings from grumpy bastards making negative comments when they just should say nothing. laugh

Yes the guy was a Divo and there were lots of things I didn't like about him but that's not what the thread was posted for.

Nothing wrong with giving a nod to someone played a part in your life however big or small. I have significant memories of times and events when his music was playing as well as playing certain tracks like this one Turn up the volume really loudly over and over again as I love the base line.

Last week before his death - on a subway train in Frankfurt, this joyous spontaneous happening occurred because of a Prince song You have to watch this

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 20:52

Fair point Lego, I would much rather have a point of view of something rather than nothing. I take full responsibility for my views for straying off the original post relating to Prince. Just because I wasn't a fan of his music, didn't really detract from his fans base.

As said before we are all entitled to our own points of view. I honestly try to take a holistic view on things. The only thing that I tend to notice that some take things personally, whether they realise or not.

Just for the record I'm a self confessed grumpy git, but I'm certainly not a bastard...... nono

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 21:16

Originally Posted By: jimboy

Just for the record I'm a self confessed grumpy git, but I'm certainly not a bastard...... nono

laugh
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 23:22

I would like to make a point for everyone that has made ? What a name for them selves? A star in a certain path.

What is true of all people on all types of life and success is at some point they have worked bloody hard to achieve thier goal. And therefore deserve respect. In my opinion.

Re: Prince RIP - 23/04/2016 23:57

Lego, thanks an absolute bunch for posting that Frankfurt link - that was great and I never would have seen it otherwise. Cheers, have a good weekend.

Re: Prince RIP - 24/04/2016 04:22

Originally Posted By: FreakinFreak
Lego, thanks an absolute bunch for posting that Frankfurt link - that was great and I never would have seen it otherwise. Cheers, have a good weekend.

A pleasure mate. I think it has had close to 50 million views on Facebook. I watched it at least 5 or 6 times. Just fabulous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6shrBX4L8

Re: Prince RIP - 24/04/2016 04:32

Originally Posted By: Lego

Last week before his death - on a subway train in Frankfurt, this joyous spontaneous happening occurred because of a Prince song You have to watch this

Very good, as was the girl sitting on the box (or her drum), trying to be cool, who said ... "I don't know the f****** lyrics to this song .... Hahahahaha!

Must say, this has been an interesting thread and read. Seeing all the differing points of view.

One of my friends posted this on Facebook...

"Roll up. Who's is going to be first of the Usual suspects, The Attention Seekers who use the Internet to feel closer to Celebrities, Sportsmen by sending them best wishes or condolances but don't know them ? No-one has wished the Queen Happy Birthday yet ? Surely the most sincere thing to do today"

laugh

Re: Prince RIP - 24/04/2016 04:41

Guys. please also take a moment for another celebrity who recently passed.

Stuart Little .....

click to enlarge

(A little humour sometimes helps)

Re: Prince RIP - 24/04/2016 09:50

Like your style Patch. thumb I'm sure there's a song in there somewhere, but I don't know the gnikcuf lyrics either .... laugh
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Prince RIP - 24/04/2016 11:50

And whilst on the subject, why do people insist on saying "passed" ? Passed what? Wind? Their driving test? What's wrong with saying passed away or even "died"? After all, that's all they've done, just like plenty of other people on the same day rolleyes
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Prince RIP - 24/04/2016 13:00

Originally Posted By: patch234
Guys. please also take a moment for another celebrity who recently passed.

Stuart Little .....

click to enlarge

(A little humour sometimes helps)

Not to be mouseist, but isn't Stuart Little white? That looks like Fievel to me.
Posted By: JKD

Re: Prince RIP - 24/04/2016 18:23

I would die a very happy person if someone did this for me after I died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAVvTzoTaJk
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK