Fiat Coupe Club UK

Coup in Turkey?

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Coup in Turkey? - 15/07/2016 21:53

Blimey - never a slow day this summer!
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 15/07/2016 22:32

Thought you'd forgotten to paste a link until Newsnight started!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 15/07/2016 22:36

What next?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 15/07/2016 22:46

Whatever happens, coups don't normally end well frown
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 15/07/2016 23:03

I blame immigration!

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 15/07/2016 23:07

It was only a matter of time. Many unhappy people when I lived there and things have gotten worse since then.....

Erdogan is a pretty tough and long lived ruler!! When I was there, there were riots and beatings to people trying to protect an ancient part of Taxim from being turned into a shopping mall ...... making money for someone .... I wonder who?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 15/07/2016 23:55

I thought this was a Coupe spotting thread rolleyes but just read the news, I never thought there would be a Coup so close to home...

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 00:23

No thoughts about Nice?

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 07:08

Seems the coup has failed.

Hard to know what to think about Nice. It felt to me more like one of those random American mass killings, by a disaffected (and clearly mentally-ill) man, rather than any kind of political statement on behalf of Daesh. Although, obviously it was "inspired" by their insane notions.

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 08:47

If Erdogen can sort this problem in 24 hours, maybe we can send him and his troops to Afgan, Iraq and Syria. Would have ISIS rounded up in a week ! Its took us years and years to round up a few r..heads.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 08:55

Sweepstake on what's next: comet found on a collision course with Earth?

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 08:58

Labour winning the next election ? Nah, too unlikely smile

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 09:10

Glenn apologising for casual racism?
Posted By: H_R

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 09:30

Oh bugger supposed to be going on holiday to turkey! confused

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 10:15

Originally Posted By: Enforcer
No thoughts about Nice?
.......finally ISIS own up to this .
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 11:26

Originally Posted By: H_R
Oh bugger supposed to be going on holiday to turkey! confused

Bugger, just paid for ours, good chance they'll get cheaper now.

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 16/07/2016 12:30

Thomas Cook rep said she would be happy to go to Turkey and follow Foreign Office advise and stay indoors!

Really useful advice after being on hold for 40 mins

or amend holiday but you will loose all your money! how can you amend something that will add the total additional cost for the new holiday on top of the holiday you have booked i.e. total loss of money from original booking!

Anyway my thoughts are with the good people of Turkey!

Hope it gets all sorted and is safe as i would still like to go as its a fabulous Country with many happy memories there!

RoadKing
Yep prices already dropping you may have a distance selling clause (cooling of period) if you have JUST booked online?

Lira is now 3.979 to the pound! so its dropping big time
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 17/07/2016 01:15

H_R, booked in March, just settled final payment. Spookily going to Marmaris (where Erdogan was) in Oct.

We love Turkey as well. Although I'm probably the only person who had some sympathy with the Coup plotters! Some will have only done what they were told to do.

A tank that doesn't want to be taken can cause an awful amount of damage, it would seem the crews didn't want to! Makes me wonder about the lower level commitment. Somebody badly misjudged the situation.

This seems to have been an extreme example of anti-establishment/status quo feeling, which everyone is blaming Brexit, and other examples of dis-satisfaction across Europe, on. Maybe governments should start listening to their citizens.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 17/07/2016 06:08

No need. They can always impeach their citizens and elect a new lot...

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 17/07/2016 12:11

Originally Posted By: FreakinFreak
Glenn apologising for casual racism?

Comet looking more likely...

Re: Coup in Turkey? - 26/07/2016 13:55

The government gave everybody a five day holiday just before this kicked off some are thinking it sounds a bit dodgy (brits) but most turks not really prepared to talk about it!

RoadKing i went to Olu Deniz just got back only thing we noticed was a demonstration of support near Dalaman airport drove past it just flag waving in the square
Olu Deniz was a bit quieter more Turks not as many brits as last year but still plenty, (was a bit earlier school holiday wise than when i have been before) price's seem a tiny bit dearer not much but certainly noticed less "happy Hour" offers as last year perhaps slightly feeling the pinch due to events but there was a never ending stream of paragliding so they were doing ok
We were the only Brits on a boat trip rest were Turks
Lovely holiday still as friendly as ever nothing to worry about that i was aware of

Have a great Holiday anybody else that is going to Turkey too!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK