Fiat Coupe Club UK

Wasp Nightmare

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 06:37

At about 4am this morning, a chunk of plaster fell off the sloping ceiling in my rented cottage and the room started to fill with angry wasps. I scarpered (I don't mind admitting) and shut the door. I could hear wasps smacking into the door for the next hour or so. My phone, inevitably, was in the bedroom so, once I thought there'd been a bit of time for things to settle down (as measured by smacks against the door) I dressed in my race overalls, gloves and balaclava and sealed the hole up with a carrier bag and tape and opened the windows. The room was full of wasps. It's settled down a bit now but it wasn't a great start to the day! And I could have done with the sleep after my fraught weekend racing.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 06:57

Don't mind admitting I hate wasps. Had a nasty experience as a young boy stung in the mouth while cycling. Best of luck with those stripy terrors.
Posted By: Possum

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 07:22

What, no can of insect spray to give them a "hurry up" or would that be "slow down" as they dropped to the floor?

It is mandatory that the Insect Spray is kept under the kitchen sink in our house.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 07:48

This thread is useless without pictures!

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 08:45

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
This thread is useless without pictures!

I will post some later, Jim
Posted By: one4seven

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 09:15

Crikey, that sounds mildly terrifying!

I recently discovered a giant underground lair of wasps in a pile of top soil at the bottom of my garden. Granted not as a bad as them literally falling into your bedroom, but your post made me laugh as I too dressed up in full overalls, then proceeded to flour-bomb the general area with wasp nest powder.

I think the neighbours thought I was attempting some sort of progressive dance movement.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 09:17

click to enlarge
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 11:55

Make sure the landlord's insurance is up to date and then set fire to the house.

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 13:31

Originally Posted By: ali_hire
Make sure the landlord's insurance is up to date and then set fire to the house.

That's the estate agent's solution, right there!

It does sound pretty uncomfortable, MRS, though the mental image of you tackling the critters in fireproof overalls is, unintentionally, very funny - does your company make any hi-tech anti-wasp devices...?!
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 13:40

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell

That's the estate agent's solution, right there!

"This is an extremely rare opportunity to purchase a property in need of some general refurbishment.

Open house launch this Saturday, please call to confirm your attendance and to make us aware of any allergies you may have.

Offers invited."
Posted By: Emjay

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 14:27

An ideal home for wildlife lovers. Close to amenities, but you will still never feel far from nature. It just buzzes with potential, a perfect place to nest. Rumour has it a queen once stayed here.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 14:53

Oh behive you lot.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 15:00

"This is an extremely rare opportunity to purchase a property in need of some general refurbishment.

Open house launch this Saturday, please call to confirm your attendance and to make us aware of any allergies you may have.

Offers invited."

(as advertised on Bing)

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 15:01

I've just vacuumed (Dyson'd) up about 50 wasps from my bedroom floor - the wasp buster came this morning.

I had to laugh to myself, Jim, about my attire - I did briefly consider the helmet too laugh But the idea of being stung by an angry swarm of wasps wasn't something that appealed.

I'll take a pic of the offending hole though it's not that interesting.

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 15:16

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
Posted By: Wishy

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 27/07/2016 15:17

EFA as the original solution requires going near the house with the aforementioned wasps.

Make sure the landlord's insurance is up to date and then set fire to the house take off and nuke from orbit.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 15/08/2016 10:10

Its almost like owning a broom yellow Coupe - anytime I open the garage door the wasps come in to check out my Coupe.

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 20/08/2016 10:58

Your story is now legend at Caroline's work!

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 20/08/2016 12:11

Ha - I'm hoping the ceiling will be repaired when I get back...

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 22/08/2016 17:33

I'm not sure what a wasp buster amounts to, but all you need is what they use in restaurants in Greece. A jar half-full of sugar water, and a lid that lets the buggers in, but not out. Just put it on the window sill.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 22/08/2016 17:39

We used to do that when I was a kid. Simply punch holes in the lid with a large nail, the jagged edges stop them crawling back out.

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 23/08/2016 06:40

Originally Posted By: Enforcer
I'm not sure what a wasp buster amounts to, but all you need is what they use in restaurants in Greece. A jar half-full of sugar water, and a lid that lets the buggers in, but not out. Just put it on the window sill.

There must have been 200 in the room when I finally went back in and plenty more still in the roof. I'd have needed 2 buckets of sugar water and still the best would have been there wink
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 23/08/2016 10:25

Only 200, you had it easy!

Giant wasp nest in the spare room
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 23/08/2016 11:42

Flammenwerfer.

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 23/08/2016 13:10

Originally Posted By: Mark_S
Only 200, you had it easy!

Giant wasp nest in the spare room

WTF. She goes in that room often then....
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 23/08/2016 19:44

And I was worried about a two-inch long hornet in the conservatory. Admittedly the most awkward bit was thinking, ok, I've got it in a glass with a cover, now how the hell do I get rid of it?

Re: Wasp Nightmare - 23/08/2016 23:44

If it's any comparison I've just found a hedgehog in the garage. Reckon that'd win in a fight with a swarm of bees.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK