Fiat Coupe Club UK

Thurso and surrounds

Posted By: Edinburgh

Thurso and surrounds - 19/10/2016 00:49

Forum (?Scottish) powah required.....

Going up to Thurso next week for a gig on Friday and deciding to take a day off on the Saturday while we're in the area.

There seems to be pretty well zero in the way of National Trust or Historic Scotland which Mrs Ed is keen on but I'm thinking more scenery/drives/coast etc.

Does anyone have recommendations for must-see locations?
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 19/10/2016 13:38

Um - from what I know, the answer is No.

How are you getting there? If you're driving, I'd look elsewhere
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 19/10/2016 14:51

There must be something of interest??? Some "highlights" are listed here:

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/thurso-p243991

A drive across some of the north coast must also throw up some nice landscape. People who live in Scotland are spoilt and don't realise how pretty the place is smile
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 19/10/2016 15:06

Thurso, Wick and JOG are known for having nothing interesting about them (compared with anything further south or west). I'm sure it's nice but there's much nicer not far away.

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 19/10/2016 16:07

I've just been thrown an idea -

a day-trip to Orkney.....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 19/10/2016 19:52

I've a very good friend who lives in Thurso. From what he tells me your accent isn't going to be well received! wink
Hope he's joking but wear a stab proof vest just in case eh.

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 20/10/2016 00:20

Originally Posted By: Barney
I've a very good friend who lives in Thurso. From what he tells me your accent isn't going to be well received! wink
Hope he's joking but wear a stab proof vest just in case eh.

Well he's also living far from your own tuneful northern brogue!

Anyway, ferries and hotel booked in Orkers cool
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 20/10/2016 20:49

My grandfather, god rest his soul, had a prize champion racing pigeon called Thurso.

I have one of his trophies.

As you were.
Posted By: srm6

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 21/10/2016 12:50

Orkney is definitely worth going to - I've driven up there twice and is beautiful - with a desolate tone at this time of year I suspect.

Places you may want to go there: i) Highland Park distillery; ii) Italian Chapel; iii) Churchill barriers; iv) Scapa flow; v) Ring of Brodgar; vi) Standing stone of Steness; vii) St Magnus Cathedral; or viii) Bay of Skaill (not a lot there, but very beautiful).

Far more than you'll get round in a day, but gives you some options depending what you fancy (and all on the mainland / connected Islands).

The A99 heading south from Wick is a nice coastal drive which you could do either as your trip up or down (depending where travelling from).

Re: Thurso and surrounds - 21/10/2016 16:36

Thanks for the heads up srm6, those are my initials btw cool
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK