Fiat Coupe Club UK

Bath taps

Posted By: Theresa

Bath taps - 07/02/2017 00:05

Hi all smile

I currently have something similar to these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-edwardian-deck-mounted-bath-shower-mixer-tap/13762

While the shower unit is no good as a shower, it's handy for cleaning the bath out, cleaning car parts laugh and rinsing my hair.

Anyway, when trying to run a bath, it takes about an hour and I've put up with this for over a year now and it's really starting to pee me off grr
The cold water just dribbles out and the hot water isn't much better, although more of the hot than the cold, which means I have to turn the hot tap right down so that dribbles out too, so my bath isn't scalding hot shocked

My bath panel is a pain to get off and so is changing the taps, so am wondering if anyone knows what could be inside these taps that's possibly failed? I know there will be washers, etc inside, but could it be something restricting the flow?

If I have to take the bath panel off, then I'm changing the taps back to my originals if I can find them as this mixer unit thing is getting on my nerves.

It's one of a few things to get sorted this year that's been bugging me for a while.

Cheers smile
Posted By: szkom

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 05:23

Has the new tap been better in terms of flow? You do get taps rated for high/low water pressures.

I can't think what would have failed in the tap. I'd think the valves in the taps would be standard 1/4 turn cartridges which means they're cheap and readily available (check ebay once you have the spindle measurement). If you've feeling brave you can take the tap apart. With some hot water and Vaseline it's often possible to clean up sticking washers and reseat them if you don't have a cartridge valve (check youtube). Other than that, are there service valves under your taps? Could be possible these aren't open fully.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 06:05

If the shower works fine but flow from the taps is poor then surely that points a finger at the valve which switches between shower and single outlet for the taps?

What's the water like in your area T? I had a similar problem from one of my bathroom sink mixer taps, it was a small gauze on the single outlet of the tap that was filled with limescale looking material, the gauze unscrewed from the end and all the debris fell out.

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 19:19

I don't think there are any service valves under the taps from what I remember.

The shower part of it just dribbles out too frown Doesn't matter if I switch to bath or shower mode, its the same.

The water is good in my area, so no limescale problems cool

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 20:00

Has it always ran slow with the new tap? Sounds like the water pressure is pretty low. Not sure new taps would change anything either if both tap and shower run slow.

Do you have any trouble with the sink? I'm wondering if there's a leak in the street which is losing pressure.

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 20:03

No, it's only started dribbling out the last year, before that, it was fine.

The sink taps are fine/normal.

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 20:08

Do the taps turn fully?

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 21:27

Yes, they do.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 23:18

None of the grandkids missing a couple of toes T?

Re: Bath taps - 07/02/2017 23:38

No, lol laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK