Fiat Coupe Club UK

Bingo! It's a tech help request from me!

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 16/02/2017 06:32

Hi everyone,

I have so little time these days to post, my days are just filled with painting cars and the surrounding admin... All good, but exhausting!

Added to the mix, we've sold our house and are moving to a rented place - and here's the issue:

Big old house, with virtually no mobile reception for any provider. We (plus our various kids) have phones on O2, Vodafone and EE, all of which need to be able to get at least some coverage for work.

Do mobile signal boosters such as the one below actually work? Are they worth the money?

Multi-network mobile phone home signal booster

What do you reckon?
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 16/02/2017 06:59

I guess for a booster to work, Jim, you need a signal in the first place so I'm guessing it depends on the quality of your current signal at the new location.

An alternative to consider is internet enabled network. I've just been offered TU Go app by O2 which claims to do just that and seems to work. It's just an app that uses WiFi to fill voids in network coverage. I know I had something slightly different from Vodafone which was a box that plugged into the network at home as a proxy "mast" - the downside of that being it only worked at home.

Good luck with the new location - you change houses more often that I change cars but I'm delighted to hear that business is brisk
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 16/02/2017 09:05

Three and EE have WifiCall which uses wifi to call if there is no/poor mobile signal. Worked seemlessly for me on iphone but not tried with any other phones.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 16/02/2017 09:15

Originally Posted By MeanRedSpider
Good luck with the new location - you change houses more often that I change cars but I'm delighted to hear that business is brisk

Jim changes his house more than I change my underwear!

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 16/02/2017 21:01

Originally Posted By bockers

Are you suggesting that 23 house moves is a lot in 51 years?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 16/02/2017 23:37

Originally Posted By Jim_Clennell

suicide

laugh
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 17/02/2017 05:28

Counts on fingers... runs out of fingers and has to start on next hand... yup, six in fifty-seven years, two of which were parents moving.

There are things available - and I have next to no data about them - which make a micro-cell using a local wired internet as the backbone carrier to the supplier. No idea as to cost or running costs, but I think they're available as both domestic and commercial varieties.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 17/02/2017 06:16

Originally Posted By Jim_Clennell
Originally Posted By bockers

..................................................................................gypsys moves around less than you Jim !!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 20/02/2017 11:56

Jim, I installed a similar device at my old property in the UK which had 2' thick stone walls in a relitively poor phone signal area.

While the phone indicated I had good reception, I would get complaints I couldn't be reached and the phone would regularly drop calls when I made them. I wasn't too impressed with it.

I had the Vodafone Sure Signal installed and instantly enjoyed real phone reception.

Re: Bingo! It's a tech help request from me! - 20/02/2017 18:53

Thanks Jim - great to have real experience rather than online reviews (although it is actually your online review...)
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK