Fiat Coupe Club UK

White Goods

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

White Goods - 21/02/2017 19:37

We need to obtain a washing machine and fridge freezer for the house we're moving into in Cambridge

Normally for washing machines I'd go straight to Miele, buy, and forget for 15 years but we only need use of this one for a few months. It could stay there for the tenants afterwards but I'm loathe to spend a grand on that.

Any ideas as to the best to buy and from where? Costco had some deals on washers (fridges are massive) and we got our last Miele washer from AO.com who were good. Beko washers seem pretty well reviewed for the price. Any thoughts?
Posted By: rayzer82

Re: White Goods - 21/02/2017 20:45

Google "hot UK deals washing machines"

Then search through the posts...I always go there for a bargain

Re: White Goods - 21/02/2017 20:46

http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/washing-machine

Re: White Goods - 21/02/2017 20:58

I tried there but was a bit disappointed by the results on this occasion

Re: White Goods - 21/02/2017 21:06

Sorry that's about the extent of my bargain hunting expertise

Dunno if http://www.offeroftheday.co.uk/compare/washing-machines/
Is any good

Re: White Goods - 21/02/2017 22:21

That's a really good site - thanks!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 06:40

I've heard that Beko are quite good for the cash and a very posh Cotswold kitchen designer told us that AO.com is where he gets white goods from...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 06:45

AO seemed pretty good for us
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 06:46

beko are cheap for a reason, especially their cookers

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 09:14

The reviews of Beko seem generally very good (for the money) for washers. I want to avoid the mid-priced "branded" stuff like "Hoover" and I'm never going near anything AEG/Electrolux again (total rubbish - and dangerous with it).

The John Lewis washer seems well-reviewed and has a 5-year warranty
Posted By: X19_pilot

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 10:01

I'm sure my last washing machine was a Beko, apart from having to replace the belt (from espares about £15), it lasted about 9-10 years. When it finally gave up the ghost, I took the drum out and used it as a fire pit... which is still in use at my friends house 5 years later! biglaugh
I bought a Beko under counter fridge at the same time (around 2002) and that only packed up last year.

In my experience, I got great value for money. If you are buying both appliances, it might be worth finding an independent company where you can normally have a deal on the two items.
Euronics sometimes have in store managers specials too.
Posted By: bockers

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 10:18

Our 2 month old Beko dishwasher caught fire! That's the end of Beko for me. Luckily it was not on an overnight delay wash!
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 11:09

Originally Posted By MeanRedSpider
I'm never going near anything AEG/Electrolux again (total rubbish - and dangerous with it).

The John Lewis washer seems well-reviewed and has a 5-year warranty

I bought an AEG washing machine through John Lewis in Cambridge. They price matched an on-line retailer and included a guarantee extension (5 years) too.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 11:20

I had a Bosch washer/drier that lasted over 20 years, needed a new pump once or twice, replaced with AEG when pumps were no longer available, and when AEG were a good alternative to Miele, before being taken over by Electrolux. That lasted less than 10 years before the bearings went, couldn't be arsed to replace them, and got another AEG, still OK so far. I've tended to look at the Which? reviews before buying.

But if you want to buy cheap and only need for a few months and don't care about leaving it behind, I'd buy used from eBay or similar, local facebook ads, etc., and even if it packs up, you can buy another cheap one...

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 12:17

AEG was all over our kitchen when we bought the house

Under counter freezer - just frosted up over and over. Door obviously didn't fit properly

Microwave - first one kept popping a fuse even after a "professional" "repair". Replacement (same style to match oven but different model) at around £500 keeps "freezing". Needs to be "power cycled" to unlock.

Oven - poor heat distribution (crappy Yorkshire puds) and temp probe messes up all the settings. Wife hates it. Neighbours version glass door exploded during pyrolux cleaning.

Dishwasher - control board burned - repair guy said he could solder it but said they'd been fire issues so we paid £100 for a new board. That caught fire properly. Called AEG about it - not in the slightest bit interested. Quite shocking.

Never ever going near AEG again.

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 12:19

Originally Posted By bockers
Our 2 month old Beko dishwasher caught fire! That's the end of Beko for me. Luckily it was not on an overnight delay wash!

Talk to either the fire brigade or appliance repair guys and they NEVER run appliances overnight. Tells you all you need to know.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 12:40

+1 for Bosch. Both our dishwasher and washing machine are over 10 years old and going strong.

We did have a "recall" on the dishwasher for a potential fire risk, but the inspection revealed it wasn't a problem but replaced the circuit board anyway.

Mind you, our cheapo Hotpoint Iced Diamond Fridge Freezer is 16+ years old and refuses to die !!! Apart from needing an occasional freezer defrost, it is faultless.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 13:09

We have two AEG ovens, one a microwave combi, both been OK so far (coming up for 3 years) but never tried pyrolytic cleaning, prefer an occasional chemical/elbow-work clean myself. But as for the induction hob, we are on our third, and that's been repaired, but finally works OK...and the washer/drier is often running overnight ooo shocked
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 14:04

Costco if they have what you want. The returns policy is second to none in my experience.

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 15:27

Yup - Costco have washers. The fridge/freezers are for fat Americans wink

Costco delivery can be a bit shaky though.

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 16:38

Never tried the delivery / online service to be fair. Their head office/store is down the road from me.
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 16:56

+1 for ao.com, very impressed with the service.

I bought a side-by-side fridge freezer from them but I'd measured my doorway incorrectly. They allowed me to reorder a more appropriate size and delivered it the next day at no extra cost.

Re: White Goods - 22/02/2017 18:46

Originally Posted By Hyperlink
Never tried the delivery / online service to be fair. Their head office/store is down the road from me.

Ordered some jewellery for Mrs MRS 50th - utter disaster. And Costco were terrible. I've been a member for about 25 years or so.

Re: White Goods - 23/02/2017 09:09

Fair enough. Maybe not as good unless you can get to store then.
Posted By: whatmoretyres

Re: White Goods - 24/02/2017 16:48

to be honest, grab a cheap own brand one - JL, Currys both will be fine

AVOID BEKO

Re: White Goods - 24/02/2017 17:35

Originally Posted By whatmoretyres
to be honest, grab a cheap own brand one - JL, Currys both will be fine

AVOID BEKO

What's wrong with Beko? I've honestly been a bit surprised by how well reviewed all of Beko's washer are..

Re: White Goods - 24/02/2017 21:17

I have beko fridge freezer...8 years no problems , beko oven, 8 years no problems and beko washing machine 9 years with no problems at all....guess like most things luck of the draw....

Re: White Goods - 25/02/2017 07:33

In the end I bought a popular well-reviewed Samsung from John Lewis which has a 5 year warranty. I figured at least if it goes wrong, it will be covered.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK