Fiat Coupe Club UK

Grammer

Posted By: came2dance

Grammer - 13/06/2017 15:06

Just putting this out there hehe
People who constantly pick up on grammar mistakes mostly is
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 15:34

Along with how many times the yoof of today can say like but not in the real context it is intended. I dread to think how the English language will survive the constant onslaught of slang and misuse in the future.
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 15:40

IMO language evolves over time? We don't talk like the Elizabethan English or the Victorian English any more. This is natural and to be expect d as nothing stays the same
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 16:01

Mmm close the thread now please mods!
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 16:22

Originally Posted By Cooperman
Along with how many times the yoof of today can say like but not in the real context it is intended. I dread to think how the English language will survive the constant onslaught of slang and misuse in the future.

Aye, this sounds about right to me. I've never considered myself an expert regarding the English language & all that it stands for I'm an Aberdonian by birth laugh , but I've witnessed for some time now the demise of our words shortened & played about with. You don't really have be a sad b*****d to wonder how things will end up as Cooperman has said in the future, will we all communicating by a code for the yoof & something different for the oldies. chinny
Posted By: JKD

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 16:45

click to enlarge

Who else hree has got the msot ueslses spuowreper eevr?
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 16:53

It's not just da yoof doh.

Some people use the term "strong and stable", when they mean "ad-hoc agreement with dinosaur-denying-witch-burners"
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 16:54

Close it?

Damn it all, chaps, the fun has barely started. Just orf to get my horsewhip!
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 16:57

Where is the line between less and fewer?

I could be bothered to count the amount of mozzie bites I got on gozo, but I can't be arsed.

I just wish there were less of them...
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 17:12

Originally Posted By barnacle
Close it?

Damn it all, chaps, the fun has barely started. Just orf to get my horsewhip!

Here we go.

Oh well at least the other one's not here anymore.

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 18:31

Actually if I'm 100% honest the way speech is delivered really bugs me. Vocal fry & the dreaded upward speak are two very annoying instances of what's on offer at the moment. Another close runner up is the white men born & bred & lived all their life in Britain, adopting the Black mans lingo "far out man"
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Grammer - 13/06/2017 19:00

Born and bred- well it is a thread about grammar.
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Grammer - 14/06/2017 09:06

Originally Posted By jimboy
Another close runner up is the white men born & bred in Britain, adopting the Black mans lingo "far out man"

But don't you think "pal" and "mate" are now becoming out of date or is it just me being abroad as I don't hear those terms anymore.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Grammer - 14/06/2017 11:32

I like to use "old bean" , "young fellow," "chum" and a variety of 1940's greetings. Preferably in the voice of John Mills or David Niven.

cheerio chaps

laugh

Re: Grammer - 14/06/2017 14:21

Originally Posted By neil_r
Originally Posted By jimboy
Another close runner up is the white men born & bred in Britain, adopting the Black mans lingo "far out man"

But don't you think "pal" and "mate" are now becoming out of date or is it just me being abroad as I don't hear those terms anymore.

Perhaps I should have explained a bit more, it's not really the words or lack of words, it's the Americanisation accent that some white chaps adopt, the "black rasta" accent etc. White born&bred in Inverness/Aberdeen/Manchester/London & you've got this weird accent going on. Most annoying & daft at the same time.

Re: Grammer - 14/06/2017 17:46

It's not just grammar: there seems to be a cultural delight in not knowing the meaning of the words people use - particularly radio presenters.

I would expect anyone to know the difference, for example, between 'insure' (to bet with a third party whether they'll collect more in premiums payments than they'll pay out when you break it) and 'ensure' (to take pains to prevent an event occurring). And yet the second is almost never heard, and the first replaces it incorrectly.

Bah! And likewise, humbug.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Grammer - 14/06/2017 20:36

It's a general mayonnaise malaise of not knowing what words actually mean, or have meant, which can so easily lead to misunderstandings that causes me rolleyes

Picked up an interesting one from Jacob Rees-Mogg on C4 news recently in reference to a comment on the recent election result...

Shambles = (or used to mean) Slaughterhouse laugh
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Grammer - 15/06/2017 05:38

I've stopped worrying about the murder of language (living with teenagers will do that), but I do find some usage puzzling.

The use of momentarily to mean "in a very short while", rather than "for" is one I've noticed.

As in "I'll be with you momentarily".
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Grammer - 15/06/2017 09:58

Originally Posted By Edinburgh

Picked up an interesting one from Jacob Rees-Mogg on C4 news recently in reference to a comment on the recent election result...

Shambles = (or used to mean) Slaughterhouse laugh

"Shambles-Five" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse-Five" does it?

Re: Grammer - 15/06/2017 10:29

laugh
Posted By: Downhillryder

Re: Grammer - 15/06/2017 10:48

I know it's about grammar not spelling but someone please correct the title on the thread, or is it some sort of irony ?

Re: Grammer - 15/06/2017 10:49

I'm equally unconvinced about 'Celcius 232.778'...
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Grammer - 15/06/2017 11:34

laugh or Kelvin 505.928

Re: Grammer - 15/06/2017 12:31

Originally Posted By Downhillryder
I know it's about grammar not spelling but someone please correct the title on the thread, or is it some sort of irony ?

Knowing (post history only!) C2D, this... laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK