Fiat Coupe Club UK

Self levelling compound experiences

Posted By: Richard24

Self levelling compound experiences - 13/10/2017 18:21

I need to pull up the old kitchen floor tiles from a concrete floor, very bad tile job by previous owner.
Planning on vinyl flooring so I’d need a nice smooth floor.

After pulling up the tiles and chipping away as much tile adhesive as I can then I was thinking using self levelling compound.

Has anyone on here had much experience with this ?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Self levelling compound experiences - 13/10/2017 18:50

Get as much of the adhesive off as possible. Then fill any deep holes with ordinary mortar.

Clean and Hoover the floor. Then coat the floor with a recommended primer.

Usually leave for 24 hours.

Mix the leveler compound with an electric whisk/drill. You may need a couple of coats depending on how well it's got over the old surface.
Posted By: cyborg7

Re: Self levelling compound experiences - 13/10/2017 18:58

yes it's horrible stuff that always seems to go off quicker than you need. It might be worth paying someone as if you're putting vinyl down then the glossy surface of vinyl will show up any imperfections like a sore thumb. If you were going back with tiles then you can lose a lot of the problems, but not so much with vinyl. If it's a small area then you'll probably be ok, but it's one of those things that I've always regretted doing myself in the long run.
Posted By: X19_pilot

Re: Self levelling compound experiences - 15/10/2017 09:23

I echo cyborgs comments, small areas aren't too bad but large areas are tricky. If you notice any imperfections, then sand them down, especially with vinyl flooring... I learnt the hard way many years ago, after a few weeks, the vinyl looked a mess!
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Self levelling compound experiences - 15/10/2017 10:25

Problems occur when the mix is too thick and a ridge forms because it has not flowed enough.

It really does need to be very liquid.

Preparation is key.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK