Fiat Coupe Club UK

Atari ST book on Indiegogo

Posted By: Anonymous

Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 25/10/2017 13:23

Seeing as it's only got a few days to go on Indiegogo and it's looking like it probably won't reach the target I thought I'd mention this here as there must be a few folks old enough to remember the Atari 16 bit scene.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-atari-st-and-the-creative-people-vol-2/x/17489653

Volume 1 is still available here:

https://www.microzeit.com/atari-store/books/

great for a few hours of nostalgia if nothing else. smile
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 26/10/2017 11:50

I had an ST when my mates either had the Spectrum 128, C64 or even the Amiga.

Never did any graphics work, but certainly played some good games. wink
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 03/11/2017 18:13

I had the ZX81, then the Spectrum 48k and then the C64. The C64 was absolutely brilliant for games.

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 04/11/2017 15:29

Originally Posted By Submariner
I had the ZX81, then the Spectrum 48k and then the C64. The C64 was absolutely brilliant for games.

I started with a ZX81 too. I never had a C64 but it was great for games and was cheap, hence it sold more than double the ST and Amiga put together before the PC finally finished them all off.

The ST book on Indiegogo reached the target on the last day so it's going ahead after all. Looking forward to that for next year and they may even have an interview with me in it for the hacking section if I can remember anything from 25+ years ago. laugh
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 04/11/2017 16:14

You're all young whippersnappers, playing with the latest toys... I started with a Sinclair MK14, then a Microtan Tangerine, a Nascom, a ZX80 and a couple of single board kits and homebuilds before I got anywhere near the ZX81 (and then wished I hadn't, and swapped it for a Jupiter laugh )

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 04/11/2017 17:29

Originally Posted By barnacle
(and then wished I hadn't, and swapped it for a Jupiter laugh )

Jupiter Ace? The machine that came with Forth when everything else had Basic? I remember using one in a shop once but they soon disappeared.

I had a neighbour who had some of the rarer machines (around here anyway) from the early 80's, he went from an Oric 1 then a TI99/4A to an Apple II , but found that being the only one with a particular machine meant no access to pirate software so he never had much to run on any of them, unlike the rest of us who had the more popular hardware.

I went from the ZX81 to a BBC Micro then the Atari ST before moving to PC's. Also had an Amiga and Acorn Archimedes for a while but they didn't stay around for long, the Arc was a great machine though and learning ARM on it was useful later. smile
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 04/11/2017 21:38

Yep, the Ace; I was using Forth at the time for machine control.

Still writing ARM code in the day job... though to be fair the compilers are so good these days I rarely have to delve into the machine code.

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 03/06/2018 09:00

Wow.. blast from the past mate.

I still have a couple of STs and STEs! ... used them for games initially and then for midi sequencing... still work great.

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 03/06/2018 10:06

Volume 2 is almost done and should be going to the printers by the end of the month.

He got sent so much info. on the ST hacking scene that he's hoping to do a separate book on it, hopefully will be up on indiegogo this year. smile

Re: Atari ST book on Indiegogo - 18/10/2018 13:37

Volume 3 has a few days to go on Indiegogo and only at 73% of backing goal :

https://bit.ly/2OHbMAW
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK