Fiat Coupe Club UK

Another kidney thread!

Posted By: Edinburgh

Another kidney thread! - 29/03/2018 12:15

Must be the season.

By pure chance a routine CT scan to check on airbag progress after my bout of double Christmas pneumonia unearthed the unexpected...a "mass" or lesion on a kidney frown

An early capture though, at 5 cm or so it's modest, and they see up to 20cm shocked

Anyway it's nephrectomy by laparoscopy for me on 16th April (must take in a scrabble board) as they want to whip it out asap.

And it's right at the beginning of "project car" season rolleyes

Mustn't grumble, the entire health team from the hospital down to my super-conscientious GP has my back as they say and have been exemplary in their cohesion and support. Nice to be able to give them deserved credit. smile
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Another kidney thread! - 29/03/2018 12:49

That’s good to hear that they are good. Generally, I’ve found these teams excellent.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Another kidney thread! - 29/03/2018 15:08

Hope you are up and about soon after Simon, maybe i am getting older, but im seeing so many of my friends and family come down with the dreaded C. fingers, toes, eyes crossed its just a benine thing
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Another kidney thread! - 29/03/2018 15:32

Best wishes, Simon. Yours sounds more serious than mine; I have the 'urgent' scan requested at the beginning of the month, er, next wednesday.
Posted By: JKD

Re: Another kidney thread! - 29/03/2018 16:40

Best wishes Simon, get well soon! smile
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Another kidney thread! - 29/03/2018 18:21

Best wishes Simon for a speedy recovery.

Re: Another kidney thread! - 29/03/2018 18:33

Originally Posted By barnacle
Best wishes, Simon. Yours sounds more serious than mine; I have the 'urgent' scan requested at the beginning of the month, er, next wednesday.

A matter of perspective maybe Neil, yours are excruciating whereas I would be none the wiser.....however it is said that "whatever it is" - and they've been somewhat cautious with giving it an exact description - looks self-contained and in theory should be dealt with without collateral damage.
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Another kidney thread! - 29/03/2018 19:17

Simon - my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Another kidney thread! - 30/03/2018 07:03

Hope everything goes well, Simon.
Posted By: X19_pilot

Re: Another kidney thread! - 30/03/2018 08:36

I hope you make a speedy recovery Simon.

I had this procedure about 18 months ago, I was back to work within 2 weeks albeit taking it very easy, I hope your recovery goes just as well!
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Another kidney thread! - 31/03/2018 04:24

Get well soon Simon, there's been a few health issues on here of late right enough.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Another kidney thread! - 05/04/2018 13:11

Best wishes for full recovery Simon!

A check to see what it is - and if there is a diagnosis - important to remember that there are many forms of CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) and you can have an impact in kidney function - but it can be stopped from getting worse and many people can have kidney issues- that after treatment don't worsen significantly.

Chin firmly up sir- Project Car Season will start as normal I'm sure!

Great that this has been caught - best wishes,

MM

Re: Another kidney thread! - 05/04/2018 13:14

And best wishes to barnacle too- same thing Barnacle - I am sure that all will be well!

Regards

MM

Re: Another kidney thread! - 05/04/2018 17:07

I finally got my urgent scan yesterday... it seems I have at least three - one in each kidney and one in transit at the moment... will be seeing the doc tomorrow night.

Re: Another kidney thread! - 05/04/2018 18:06

I finally got my urgent scan yesterday... it seems I have at least three - one in each kidney and one in transit at the moment... will be seeing the doc tomorrow night.

Ouch....would these not be treatable with ultra-sound?

Re: Another kidney thread! - 06/04/2018 17:04

Turns out they're small enough that they should find their way out on their own, review in a year, expect some eye-watering pain at some stage... it seems the little ones cause the pain as they move around; the big ones just sit there.

Re: Another kidney thread! - 06/04/2018 17:52

That sounds like painful but positive news Barnacle,

I know on occasion they can put a claw tool up your urethra to pull lodged stones out.....ouch!

Ultrasound and a lot of water sounds far better to me.

Will they allow you to float any via ale rather then water? Self medicating AND supporting local brewers....win win for everyone?

MM

Re: Another kidney thread! - 06/04/2018 20:19

Turns out they're small enough that they should find their way out on their own, review in a year, expect some eye-watering pain at some stage... it seems the little ones cause the pain as they move around; the big ones just sit there.

Flood 'em with water, have some painkillers handy.....

You've obviously already reviewed your diet and fluid intake.
Posted By: X19_pilot

Re: Another kidney thread! - 06/04/2018 20:43

Sounds like you are in for a painful call of nature. cry

I have read somewhere that vinegar/lemon juice/anything acidic can help dissolve them if you can stomach drinking that stuff... I think I would be trying it rather than the alternative! ooo

Re: Another kidney thread! - 08/04/2018 06:29

I too have read the drinking acid trick, but not yet an explanation of (a) how to avoid damaging your throat while drinking it or (b) how this mild acid is going to get past the much stronger acid (hydrochloric) in your stomach... so for now, it's back to the diluted orange squash.

I have also read that to much coke can be an issue (the phosphorous) which is rather a shame since I'm a software writer... laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK