Fiat Coupe Club UK

BT automated message, driving me nuts!

Posted By: Countrycruising

BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 10/07/2018 12:57

For 3 or 4 weeks now I keep getting automated calls apparently from BT saying my internet will be terminated unless I "press one to speak to an advisor" or "press two to agree to it being turned off".

For a start I don't have any BT accounts any more, secondly the call centre is in India so their ascent is very difficult to understand, and third pressing one or two gets you to the same people who put the phone down as soon as they realise you know it's a scam..... meh!

Has anyone else been receiving these calls?
Posted By: jimboy

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 10/07/2018 13:13

I get similar scams. If I'm in the mood I will play with them & tell them all the shite of the day & keep them on the phone as long as I can, but only if I'm feeling really in that frame of mind. I even try different accents especially Indian & try to find out if I'm related to the caller. I call myself Mahatma Coat laugh or AngusMacoatup laugh
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 10/07/2018 15:04

Posted By: jimboy

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 10/07/2018 15:10

Seems I'm already registered. I still get scam calls.

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 10/07/2018 15:14

Originally Posted By jimboy
I get similar scams. If I'm in the mood I will play with them & tell them all the shite of the day & keep them on the phone as long as I can, but only if I'm feeling really in that frame of mind. I even try different accents especially Indian & try to find out if I'm related to the caller. I call myself Mahatma Coat laugh or AngusMacoatup laugh

I like it Jim, next call I'll string them along for a little while, I'll be Mr McCoupé, or M Mouse laugh

I spoke to XLN my business phone/internet supplier and for £3.50/mth + vat they can bar any calls that are withheld numbers so at this rate I'll have to pay to silence these nuisance calls, more expense as it all adds up.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 10/07/2018 15:45

Yes, common as muck, feel sorry for the unspecting older folk for example that get mugged this way.

That's pretty stingy from your provider Joe, for example Talktalk* will provide this service FOC. Maybe a little pressure will encourage your provider to extend this option?

Do you have a display of the number who's calling? Google it if possible and then fire it at XLN and tell them they're not protecting their customer.

*Dial 14258 after the last caller to block.....

Posted By: cyborg7

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 10/07/2018 19:17

I was killing time in PC World the other week and noticed the landline phone display - must have been about 40 or so display boxes all lining the wall and every single one without exception had the primary tag line on the box '100% call blocking function'.

It make me wonder that if that's the 1st thing they use as their selling point, what's the use of having a landline any more. I can see why people are increasingly moving away from them (if they have the option that is).
Posted By: barnacle

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 10/07/2018 19:40

The TPS doesn't apply to calls originating outside the UK. And of course, the carriers want their terminating fee, so they don't care.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 11/07/2018 06:43

Originally Posted By barnacle
The TPS doesn't apply to calls originating outside the UK. And of course, the carriers want their terminating fee, so they don't care.

It will soon thumb

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 13/07/2018 11:48

Originally Posted By Edinburgh

*Dial 14258 after the last caller to block.....

Just had another call so tried dialling 14258, service not available on my line frown

......... but I did have the guy on the phone for over 20 minutes on and off hold as I said I needed to change phones as I couldn't understand him, HA.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: BT automated message, driving me nuts! - 13/07/2018 13:32

Get his number and after you've dangled him a bit tell him he's now reported and he'll face a fine/keel-hauling?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK