Fiat Coupe Club UK

Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed

Posted By: DaveG

Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 05/02/2019 20:37

My oldest son, in his quest for a little extra fuel economy (and to avoid giving lifts to too many people wink ) has removed the rear seats from his Punto Evo, along with each rear side seat belt buckle and the centre belt/buckle (rear side belts and mechanisms still in place).

Will this be an MoT fail? Discuss!
Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 05/02/2019 21:42

No, he will get an advisory about (rear seats removed)

My crewcab tippers come back like that - the rears are converted/part converted to tool storage - seatbelts still there, buckles not.

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 05/02/2019 22:02

That's what I thought, thanks!

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 06/02/2019 08:16

It passed with no advisories smile
Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 06/02/2019 08:21

Originally Posted By DaveG
It passed with no advisories smile

How superbly consistent !!!!!!
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 11/02/2019 21:57

Given that, will he need to inform his Insurance company?

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 12/02/2019 00:17

Why, because it is a "modification"? Hmmm, dunno!

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 12/02/2019 08:36

Dave if the seats are not designed to be removed for cargo/passengers as per OE spec I reckon it would be grief if anything should happen requiring a claim/assessors involvement and it would be an obvious glaring modification; especially given the usual reason why people remove seats from cars i.e power to weight and increased performance, even more so that the belts and gubbins have also been stripped out.

I have had a quick google and read some posts that state the insurance companies class it as a mod and will not insure in some cases...guess if it is a more bespoke policy rather than an off the shelf mainstream insurer you may be ok.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 12/02/2019 15:23

Originally Posted by Submariner
Dave if the seats are not designed to be removed for cargo/passengers as per OE spec I reckon it would be grief if anything should happen requiring a claim/assessors involvement and it would be an obvious glaring modification; especially given the usual reason why people remove seats from cars i.e power to weight and increased performance, even more so that the belts and gubbins have also been stripped out.

I have had a quick google and read some posts that state the insurance companies class it as a mod and will not insure in some cases...guess if it is a more bespoke policy rather than an off the shelf mainstream insurer you may be ok.

Or you could be taking something big and bulky to the tip, or the 100 million other reasons to remove the seats.

Re: Rear seat belts and MOT if rear seats removed - 12/02/2019 15:32

Sure thing and the seat belts fell out too smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK