Fiat Coupe Club UK

Top Gear

Posted By: barnacle

Top Gear - 17/02/2019 20:59

Time to start the debate again!

In this one, an awful lot of Norwegian roads the Barmybob and I drove along a couple of years back - including the Atlantic Highway and the TrollStiegen. laugh
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Top Gear - 17/02/2019 22:14

Certainly great scenery!
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Top Gear - 17/02/2019 22:20

I tried to watch it and lasted until they got silly battering a Suzuki Ignis and a Fiat Panda Cross into rocks going off-road up a great big hill.

The scenery was good especially the Norwegian part.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Top Gear - 18/02/2019 14:37

Aye, scenery was good.
Posted By: Freddie

Re: Top Gear - 18/02/2019 16:21

The roads looked great, I need to take the coupe there

Re: Top Gear - 18/02/2019 18:54

80kph speed limits on the vast majority of roads, rigidly enforced...

Re: Top Gear - 18/02/2019 19:23

Generally a mixed bag???? confused
No real surprise Matt Le Blanc is stepping down.
By way of comparison, I also watched the latest Grand Tour, which was enjoyable and frustrating to an equal degree with TG.
Both formats need a new direction as they are both getting a little tired?
That said, I am glad they are both still around as I enjoy their petrolhead content. smile
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Top Gear - 19/02/2019 09:17

Yeah. They are flogging an old format and the chemistry between the presenters just isn't there for me. I just enjoyed watching the Fiat win ... And yes the scenery was stunning.

As above, I'm glad they are both still around, but the format is tired.

Re: Top Gear - 19/02/2019 17:23

Whatever Sabine is smoking, I think I could use some!
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Top Gear - 20/02/2019 13:48

Tyres I think, Neil.

I find I have to force myself to watch TG now. I used to look forward to viewing it. The Grand Tour is pants too. Maybe I’m just getting old?
Posted By: Freddie

Re: Top Gear - 20/02/2019 14:21

Mind you I thought the panda looked good against the ugly Suzuki,not sure about the rear end of the Ignis though sick

Re: Top Gear - 20/02/2019 15:41

Top Gear is really rather crappy these days, apart from the cars. Blanc the Yank is off after this series. No surprises there, I'm not going into specifics. There was a time, there was a time. driving
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Top Gear - 01/03/2019 08:33

Got free Prime for a month, now watching The Grand Tour with a coffee and enjoying the Colombia Special, laugh out loud panto moments. The presenters do appear to have stuffed pillows in their shirts.

Re: Top Gear - 01/03/2019 20:33

Originally Posted by Submariner
Got free Prime for a month, now watching The Grand Tour with a coffee and enjoying the Colombia Special, laugh out loud panto moments. The presenters do appear to have stuffed pillows in their shirts.

A fine advert for comfortable living and middle age! laugh
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Top Gear - 07/03/2019 21:28

Originally Posted by barnacle
Time to start the debate again!

In this one, an awful lot of Norwegian roads the Barmybob and I drove along a couple of years back - including the Atlantic Highway and the TrollStiegen. laugh

Some very good memories from that trip.

Re: Top Gear - 11/03/2019 13:09

Not a bad episode last night. Though a classic return of the "buy the most ridiculous car for £6k" and compare it with a Dacia.

Still no chemistry between the presenters though IMO....

Re: Top Gear - 11/03/2019 18:18

Deja vu came to mind..... chinny

Re: Top Gear - 15/03/2019 12:14

Watched it on catch up.
They possibly could have come up with some more intriguing £6k options? idea

Re: Top Gear - 18/03/2019 16:41

I actually enjoyed TG last night. The fiesta ST review was good, and I'm biased as it was all filmed in Wales. Llandow circuit also featured.

I still think the chemistry between the 3 presenters is forced though.

200bhp from a 3 cylinder 1.5litre turbo engine is pretty impressive too.

Re: Top Gear - 18/03/2019 21:56

I agree Toby the last TG episode was a good one.
The Fiesta review had me reminiscing about my old XR2 which was pretty slow in today's terms, but was great fun on a b-road.
The ST is a good size....food for thought????
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Top Gear - 19/03/2019 20:55

My favourite moment was Harris's introduction to the compact SUV class.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Top Gear - 20/03/2019 07:17

I’m absolutely with Harris on usable power. Even the 310bhp in my SL was pointless most of the time. For driving fun, give me a nimble, light car every day of the week. For a long motorway journey, my old E320 CDI is almost every bit as good as the SL.

To Brilly’s point, my Sud Ti QV, with a tarmac shredding 105bhp, was just fabulous on the back roads of Sussex

And, yes, SUVs we agree on too. China has to take quite a lot of the blame for the flood of SUVs, especially the “prestige” badges, because you’ll almost never see an estate in China: saloon, people carrier or SUV. I’m sure that’s why the Alfa Stelvio (still yet to see one on U.K. roads) exists.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Top Gear - 20/03/2019 08:38

Originally Posted by MeanRedSpider
I’m absolutely with Harris on usable power. Even the 310bhp in my SL was pointless most of the time. For driving fun, give me a nimble, light car every day of the week. For a long motorway journey, my old E320 CDI is almost every bit as good as the SL.

To Brilly’s point, my Sud Ti QV, with a tarmac shredding 105bhp, was just fabulous on the back roads of Sussex

And, yes, SUVs we agree on too. China has to take quite a lot of the blame for the flood of SUVs, especially the “prestige” badges, because you’ll almost never see an estate in China: saloon, people carrier or SUV. I’m sure that’s why the Alfa Stelvio (still yet to see one on U.K. roads) exists.

Ditto - could not agree more. :-)

Re: Top Gear - 20/03/2019 17:04

Saw loads of Stelvios in Geneva last week - they are a popular holiday rental, but very few here in the UK.
They are a BIG car in the flesh and to my eye, a tad ugly at the rear? shocked

MRS - I would certainly have loved to have driven a Sud on a b-road back in the day, but once I had a Golf after the XR2, I was pretty blinkered, so missed the chance. crazy
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Top Gear - 20/03/2019 19:41

Sud grip was mental. A mate scared the crap out of me turning right at a roundabout when I assumed we were going straight on!
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Top Gear - 21/03/2019 02:23

The little Fiesta did look and sound interesting.

Sadly most modern 4 pots sound boring. Without the induction roar through throaty carburettors the 4 cylinder struggles to inspire much emotion. Many manufacturers now add speakers, attached to the firewall, or play engine sounds through the car radio, to "Enhance" the engine sound of their four pots. The sound works, for most. My colleague is always going on about the sound of his Golf R in sport mode. Don't have the heart to tell to tell him it's FAKE frown

So well done ford for getting the interesting little 3 cylinder to deliver so much and sound so intriguing too.

That said back in the late 80's I remember throwing around a little car that seems so similar. A Daihatsu Charade GTTI that a German colleague had. This little white car with its tiny white wheels was a cracking little thing. It had an entertaining engine noise and a raspy exhaust note, it was also a real hoot to drive. In its day this little car was a thorn in the side of it's much bigger rivals but the diminutive little car was dismissed by most folk, including me!

Well this new little Fiesta appears to show that the little Daihatsu was well ahead of its time.

Re: Top Gear - 01/04/2019 11:30

I'm glad they've gone 3 cylinder. It adds to the light weight simplicity concept of what makes a good sports car. Hopefully the 3 cyl gives better torque than the equivalent capacity 4 pot, but the main appeal is the noise. They do sound rorty like a slightly rough V6. I've always quite liked the 3 cylinder Smart Roadster turbos, which only have ~80bhp, but are great fun. Less is more; especially if the car has an excellent chassis.

I've been close to buying a 3 cylinder bike too. I think they are the best compromise between size, smoothness and power. Sticking with my slightly vibey parallel twin for now though.

Talking of old small fun cars, I remember my friends Peugeot 106 Rallye (the 1.6 version) which had about 100bhp. It follwed the stripped down idea, with no power steering (I think) but the handling was ridiculous and was seriously quick in the corners. The inside door handle still has grip marks from my terrified hands as we flew round B road bends at speeds which seemed to defy the laws of physics.

Perhaps with the move towards restricing speed, the era of slower cars with fun handling is back.

© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK