Fiat Coupe Club UK

Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone - 17/04/2019 20:09

First race of the season - Classic Alfa Challenge on Silverstone National.

Quali was a disaster with the low voltage lead to the coil falling off on the first lap. Meant I had to qualify “out of session” and start the race from the back (of about 24 starters). Made for a fun race making my way through the field to finish 2nd overall (8s behind the winning Alfetta GTV of the very experienced Chris Snowdon) and first in class

https://youtu.be/bNweCzRcbhQ

Next up - Silverstone International with Fishy Dave and CSCC 4th May.
Posted By: Fishy_Dave

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone - 17/04/2019 20:13

Well done, cracking result. See you in a couple of weeks. smile
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone - 18/04/2019 15:11

Wow! Great result. How is WL going this season? (We'd still be happy to spray the yellow corner, although I imagine you might have done it yourself with a rattle can by now!

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone - 18/04/2019 19:09

Thanks, Jim. WL is generally going well though I found a crack in the body when I first arrived at Combe a couple of weeks back and spent a few happy hours repairing it then, on my cooling down last lap of the day, the brakes went to the floor. Turns out a shrink ring on the rear axle had shifted and the disc had warmed up the caliper. New shafts, without shrink rings, fitted and all is good.

When could you do the yellow because, yes, I’d very much like it done?

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone - 19/04/2019 08:32

There's always *something*, isn't there?! Glad the car is going generally well after all the work you've put in.

We don't have a mobile capacity anymore, so I think the best way to get the corner done would be to drop the car off to us on your way back from a race (or when you have no events for a while). We can then sort it out before you need to take her home or to the next race. Alternatively, we could come out to you and spray it with cans - not quite the same, but a bit more flexible...

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone - 19/04/2019 19:48

Hi Jim - wonder if there’s a happy compromise as I have a big F-off compressor that can supply plenty of air if that’s what you need to avoid cans?

Alternatively I’m at Silverstone on 4th May and could drop it with you that evening if you’re around.

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone - 22/04/2019 16:31

I think we're away that weekend, sadly, but MrsC and I reckon we could get everything we need into our Panda and come to you one Sunday.
If you suggest a few dates, we'll confirm one with you and put it in the diary.

What connectors do you have on the compressor hose? We have 1/4" BSPP male couplings on the guns.

Re: Classic Alfa Challenge Silverstone - 22/04/2019 18:24

Cool - OK, Jim - let me take a look. And I’ll also figure out what couplings I have - used them for so many years I’ve no idea what they are.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK