Fiat Coupe Club UK

Named driver

Posted By: jasgol

Named driver - 17/05/2019 10:15

My insurance company want to charge me for not declaring a speeding fine, she’s a named driver on my policy so fair enough, however, I’m a bit pissed off with them for various reasons and would like to stick it to them, I won’t pay and won’t let her drive my car! (It’s ok she’s got one)
This seems a bit too easy, what’s the catch?
Cheers!
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Named driver - 17/05/2019 11:30

The catch is that they will come after you for the charge. I had a similar dispute with Greenlight more than 10 years ago with the Porto 20vt Coupe. It was modified including Carelli seats which didn't go forward as much as the originals, so my wife as named driver never drove it, but she was insured. For a couple of years it transpired that her accident history had not been accounted for, I argued that they never sent me a renewal schedule confirming basic details like that, but they insisted on pursuing a claim for previous additional premiums through the courts. I went to court, but there was only me and the "judge" but rather than throwing out the case, he encourage us to come to a compromise and in the end I paid £300, I can't remember what the original claim was for. Naturally, I've never used Greenlight since...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Named driver - 17/05/2019 13:13

jas - how much are they trying to charge you, are they backdating several years?

Re: Named driver - 17/05/2019 14:16

Thanks Dave, I’m not sure yet Suba, I’m waiting to hear after they’ve ‘investigated’ us. It’s my first renewal with them.
I’ll keep you posted
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Named driver - 18/05/2019 10:05

‘They’ know due to something called a ‘potential household member’ report. The speeding ticket doesn’t affect current policy cost but it does on renewal and that’s where the premium might be different. If you don’t declare (having signed to say you agree the terms) then you can get stung. The amount of data insurers have access to is quite frightening really. Although Clearly not in your case, they use the data to catch out those who deliberately lie to get reduced premiums, and we all suffer as a result.

Re: Named driver - 27/05/2019 08:09

They wanted £54 to amend my policy or £40 to cancel so no brainier for me. That e mail from the business development team didn’t go as well as they’d hoped.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Named driver - 04/06/2019 11:17

Originally Posted by jasgol
My insurance company want to charge me for not declaring a speeding fine, she’s a named driver on my policy so fair enough, however, I’m a bit pissed off with them for various reasons and would like to stick it to them, I won’t pay and won’t let her drive my car! (It’s ok she’s got one)
This seems a bit too easy, what’s the catch?
Cheers!

Stick it to them by walking to a new firm - one your happy with.

Your the customer....and these people clearly aren't your friend, are not on your side and can you imagine what they would be like if you made a claim?

I don't think you will be happy any other way...

MM
Posted By: Dan

Re: Named driver - 06/06/2019 11:42

I got screwed over by Elephant in a similar way. I was insured by Elephant and my girlfriend by Admiral. She was a named driver on my policy. Someone damaged her car whilst she was not present and left their details. Their insurance paid for the damage. Four years later I got a letter claiming that I had failed to declare the 'incident' (despite no claim being made, and the insured not even being present, it still counts as an Incident). They sent me a bill for £650 which I ended up having to pay.

Her insurance didn't go up at all following the 'incident', but I had to cough up £650 retrospective costs to my insurer...
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Named driver - 07/06/2019 04:38

Originally Posted by Dan

I got screwed over by Elephant in a similar way. I was insured by Elephant and my girlfriend by Admiral. She was a named driver on my policy. Someone damaged her car whilst she was not present and left their details. Their insurance paid for the damage. Four years later I got a letter claiming that I had failed to declare the 'incident' (despite no claim being made, and the insured not even being present, it still counts as an Incident). They sent me a bill for £650 which I ended up having to pay.

Her insurance didn't go up at all following the 'incident', but I had to cough up £650 retrospective costs to my insurer...

Ouch! In your position I would have tried using the official dispute service via the financial ombudsman as in the circs described that’s not fair even by insurance company standards
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK