Fiat Coupe Club UK

Do we still 'run-in' new cars?

Posted By: respace

Do we still 'run-in' new cars? - 02/07/2019 11:10

I've just picked up a new car for my stepson, it's been a long time since I've driven a new car but it occurs to me that despite all the sales pitch there was no mention of having to run in the first 1k miles or so.
Do modern engines not need to be treated carefully initially?
Posted By: bockers

Re: Do we still 'run-in' new cars? - 02/07/2019 11:41

I'd think it always best, regardless of how new. It's not a case of just driving at low revs and not stressing the engine. It's more a case of limit at 4-5k revs, but do make sure to accelerate to these revs often. no doubt there is a lot of conflicting advise about.

Re: Do we still 'run-in' new cars? - 02/07/2019 11:54

Thanks, I'd agree, it's was the lack of any advice I found confusing.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Do we still 'run-in' new cars? - 02/07/2019 17:33

I haven't seen a car which advised running in in the last ten or twenty years. Even the coupe claimed it was not necessary.

I differed... remember the makers want the car not to last too long past three years laugh so I'd, as John said, run it part throttle up to 3/4 of the red line, but regularly, for the first 500 miles or so. Then I'd change the oil and filter.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Do we still 'run-in' new cars? - 02/07/2019 18:27

You could run a car in but I’d only bother if you’re expecting to keep the car for life. Manufacturing tolerances and finishes are so much better these days and lubricants so much better that, personally, I certainly wouldn’t bother.
Posted By: Morrison

Re: Do we still 'run-in' new cars? - 02/07/2019 18:43

There was nothing to suggest Mrs Morrisons 500 needed running in when new (2015), even the first service a year later didn't include an oil change (we paid extra to have it done).

I kind of did follow the old school running in, no screwing the engine, just the occasional blast through the range for the first year.

When new we were getting 30mpgs, now at 10k miles we're getting nearly 50mpgs. Still feels like it's not run in fully.

From what I've read on the net I get the impression that the engines are given a good thrashing at the factories before being sent out these days.

Re: Do we still 'run-in' new cars? - 05/07/2019 18:15

I'm of a vintage when cars had to be treated carefully for the first 1k miles for fear of dire consequences, even then they were often worn out before they made it past 80k, how times of changed! Something in my brain starts nagging away every time I put my foot down (not that much happens it's a Renault diesel). Hardest thing is stopping myself reaching for the ignition to turn the engine off (it's keyless) you have to work out how to start it but it's automatic to reach for the key to stop it!
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: Do we still 'run-in' new cars? - 08/07/2019 11:54

Manufacturing tolerances have improved which is why the run-in period isn't required.

But i was reading an article on a used M3 purchase (straight six) where they have issues with bore wear if they have been been ragged from cold, you have to warm them up if you don't want to be replacing the engine. I would imagine that applies to most engines.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK