Fiat Coupe Club UK

Garage Floor Coating.

Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Garage Floor Coating. - 04/11/2019 18:00

Have a concrete / cement garage floor. I would like to seal it, then coat it with a tuff floor paint within an economy budget.

Any one else have a coated garage floor and how your prepare the floor before coating?
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 04/11/2019 21:12

I used a concrete sealer, the kind that soaks into the concrete, three coats worth. It will not flake, unlike paint, it will eventually start to flake. Paint may look pretty, but I've chosen to just leave the grey look.
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 05/11/2019 07:23

I used a couple of coatings of PVA glue and the some value floor paint from Screwfix. Cost me around 30 quid all in and 2 years later still as new
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 05/11/2019 07:37

I painted my floor without sealing first. I found that the paint tended to pull away with the tyre treads leaving 4 bald patches rolleyes
Posted By: paul

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 05/11/2019 09:48

I'm, the same as Ballypete,

I first sealed the concrete using a few coats of watered down pva glue.

Then painted it with 2 coats of Grey Protex floor paint (£24.95 for 5 litres locally up here) , I re paint it every 2-3 years (easy after initial coats)
make sure its fully dry before parking your car on it (especially if its cold or damp weather ) ,or it will come of with car tyres sitting on it for while.
think you can get it in Grey or Dark Red ......but I;m sure there are various makes out there.

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 05/11/2019 15:49

With the sealer I used (two tins £15 each) coat & forget, no follow up needed...... thumb
Posted By: paul

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 05/11/2019 16:27

Originally Posted by jimboy
With the sealer I used (two tins £15 each) coat & forget, no follow up needed...... thumb

good point smile
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 05/11/2019 16:31

I guess if you used an acrylic sealer you wouldn’t be able to apply paint in any case...

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 06/11/2019 06:53

Just checked on when I did the floor, nearly four years ago & still fine.
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 06/11/2019 11:57

I'm also in the process of planning what I should do. One garage is smooth and level but bare concrete; the other is quite worn and needs resurfacing first.

Ordinary floor paint comes away even if you leave a rubber floor mat on it. It shouldn't be suitable for cars. Two component paints are apparently the way to go but very expensive. Ceramic tiling can work but it is a lot of work and if tiles crack, one has more work.

The easy but expensive solution seems to be click-fit PVC tiles. Once you have a level base, such tiles seem to work out at 6-700€ for a single garage out here.
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: Garage Floor Coating. - 11/11/2019 18:28

Thanks for the replies. Plenty to think about.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK