Fiat Coupe Club UK

Looking for a word...

Posted By: JKD

Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 13:32

When someone who has wronged another person acts as if THEY are the victim and speak in a tone as if to shift all blame onto the other person.

Example, I cut a big tree down which falls onto someone's house. I then act as if I'M the one being inconvenienced because it's going to take me extra effort and time to clear up the damage and I have a go at the person for having that tree next to their house.

Or a driver goes through a red light and knocks down someone crossing the road and then, as that person lays bleeding on the ground, the driver gets out and shouts at them for damaging their bumper.

I know 'taking the piss' is one way of saying it. But what's another word of describing such behaviour?
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 13:37

Self-victimization? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_playing

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 13:38

Sorry, I just edited my original post a bit - would you say the driver example comes under this too?

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 13:47

Also yes I agree self-victimisation is applicable but I'm sure there's another word.
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 13:49

Yeah, it may be applicable... but I can't find the proper term for the situation you described. smile

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 14:25

It's a sense of, having no self accountability then being a cheeky fker on top of that and complaining when you have absolutely no right to complain at all. It's like, how dare you have the gall to complain in such a situation!
Posted By: clanger

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 16:45

Originally Posted by JKD
When someone who has wronged another person acts as if THEY are the victim and speak in a tone as if to shift all blame onto the other person.

Example, I cut a big tree down which falls onto someone's house. I then act as if I'M the one being inconvenienced because it's going to take me extra effort and time to clear up the damage and I have a go at the person for having that tree next to their house.

Or a driver goes through a red light and knocks down someone crossing the road and then, as that person lays bleeding on the ground, the driver gets out and shouts at them for damaging their bumper.

I know 'taking the piss' is one way of saying it. But what's another word of describing such behaviour?

Sociopath
Posted By: respace

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 17:25

Boris Johnson?
Cognitive Dissonance?
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 19:03

JKD,The word you are looking for begins with a "C" and ends with a "T"
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 19:14

Cat? crazy
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 20:24

Originally Posted by PeteP

Well it's definitely not cricket
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Looking for a word... - 18/12/2019 22:44

Originally Posted by PeteP

laugh
Posted By: williamsdad

Re: Looking for a word... - 19/12/2019 13:00

Blameshifter
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Looking for a word... - 20/12/2019 08:48

A Sociopath...with a sprinkling of Narcissitic Personality Disorder
Posted By: paulmakin

Re: Looking for a word... - 25/12/2019 20:07

i think "scapegoater" is a real word ?

in a psychological context, "displacement" could describe the process

paul
Posted By: Punto16VT

Re: Looking for a word... - 30/12/2019 13:11

Plonker comes immediately to mind. Self-centred arse likewise, but I'd agree with "Sociopath"

"noun: sociopath; plural noun: sociopaths

a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behaviour.".
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK