Fiat Coupe Club UK

Satnav+handsfree

Posted By: Edinburgh

Satnav+handsfree - 03/03/2020 22:02

Looking for something to replace my defunct one..has anyone used these?

Garmin Drive 61LMT-S

or Garmin DriveSmart 51 Europe

It needs to have Europe and UK updating as well as handsfree/bluetooth, but doesn't need USA
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Satnav+handsfree - 03/03/2020 22:18

I have one of these and it is awesome. Got me round Europe twice without issue. The only thing to note is a 5in screen would probably better fit the space between dash and the slanted windscreen of the coupe, but the 6" screen still fits within the space

Re: Satnav+handsfree - 03/03/2020 22:33

Yep, just found that I think - added it to my original post.

Seems I should expect to stump up three figures anyway for this spec of gizmo

Re: Satnav+handsfree - 03/03/2020 22:45

Apparently the 5" unit is around 7" wide in total which is still chunky....especially in my favoured position under the driver's airvent, stuck on the end of the dash strip with a strong magnet smile

It's powered by a usb cable which is concealed behind the A frame trim, runs above the roof lining and into a double usb socket box tucked in behind the driver's mirror.

One advantage of having a coupe-owner mate who's a dab hand at these ingenious solutions....

Re: Satnav+handsfree - 03/03/2020 22:57

Don't know where I read those dimensions rolleyes

14cm wide = 5.5"

Re: Satnav+handsfree - 06/03/2020 12:46

After reading some quite iffy reviews about the time it takes the Garmin to recalculate routes for one thing, I'm now looking at TomTom, for example
TomTomGo50

It may be obtainable at a lower price on fleabay but anyone use these?
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Satnav+handsfree - 06/03/2020 14:22

I've been using a TomTom Via 53 for the past couple of years and am very happy with it. Full Europe maps and free updates until they decide the thing is obsolete.
Traffic updates en route via your smart phone and can be used for hands free phone all via Bluetooth.

The Go 50 looks to be very similar.

It replaced a Garmin something or other which was very slow, notably on a roundabout in Verviers near Spa which it never cottoned onto. I finally replaced it with the current TomTom after the bloody thing had tried to send me down an off ramp on the A23 after a Christmas lunch at the Bolney Stage.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK