Fiat Coupe Club UK

New MOT extension

Posted By: Theresa

New MOT extension - 19/04/2020 17:17

My Coupe is due it's MOT in May. I understand this can/will be extended to last until November 2020.

However, after looking on the Government website, I can't find a clear answer as to whether my next MOT will be due as usual next May 2021, regardless as to whether I take it in, up to November 2020, or if it will be valid for a year from date of testing?

So, if I took it I November this year, would it still need testing next May 2021 or would it be valid until November 2021?

I know I could ask my MOT tester, but he's not there at this time of the day and I want to know now laugh
Posted By: andyps

Re: New MOT extension - 19/04/2020 23:28

My understanding is that they will be valid for 18 months if they expired after the date established (March 29th? from memory) so if yours is May it will last until November and then November will be the anniversary date. All that careful timing to get MOTs in the warmer, drier months has just been defeated!!
Posted By: samsite999

Re: New MOT extension - 20/04/2020 08:49

there are still garages doing MOT's, its a really tough time for small inderpendent garages, I still want to be sure stuff is as it should be for the bits i cannot see or feel, get your mot done!
Posted By: PeteP

Re: New MOT extension - 20/04/2020 09:22

T, They are extending the MOT expiry dates as shown on their website about 7 days before the original expiry date.

From the gov.uk website:

How the 6-month extension works

Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be automatically extended by 6 months if it’s eligible. This will be done about 7 days before it’s due to expire.
This means that:

your vehicle will still have a valid MOT certificate for an extra 6 months
you can still tax your vehicle - you might need to wait to do this until later in the month if both your MOT and vehicle tax run out this month
your insurance will still be valid
your vehicle’s record will be updated so the police can see you have a valid MOT
You will not get a new paper MOT certificate with the new expiry date on it.
You must still keep your vehicle safe to drive.

Posted By: barnacle

Re: New MOT extension - 22/04/2020 15:53

I had an enlightening conversation with my local MOT place when I had Anita's Cupra MOT'd last couple of weeks ago... he pointed out that people whose cars have traditionally passed (i.e. been serviced, looked after, whatever) have still managed to get them in for tests and they're passing. The ones that are waiting for the extension are the kids who do maintenance only when something drops off or the car doesn't go...
Posted By: Ali_and_Marvin

Re: New MOT extension - 24/04/2020 10:45

Mine was due 29th April. I've just checked the .Gov website now I'm within 7 the days and it now shows a valid MOT to 29th October.

I was originally planning to book Marvin in with Joe this month for a pre-season fettle and MOT at his local station. I may be able to get the MOT done by my local garage (who look after my Agila) but I'd rather wait and get it all done at once. I believe there's nothing to stop me having the MOT done before October and if that happens the anniversary date would obviously change again.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: New MOT extension - 26/04/2020 20:03

Originally Posted by barnacle
The ones that are waiting for the extension are the kids who do maintenance only when something drops off or the car doesn't go...

laugh I'm 48 though! laugh

I've decided to take mine next week as if I allow the extension and MOT it in or near November, then come next year, I won't have the spare money as it'll be going towards Christmas, etc. Best to get it done now, as usual, while I have the spare money!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK