Fiat Coupe Club UK

NC500

Posted By: jimboy

NC500 - 23/07/2020 08:09

Well it’s seems the NC500 is attracting more drivers than ever according to the local news paper, only the staycationers are not prepared for the lack of facilities, and parking overnight anywhere they can., even in play parks and cemeteries. The usual litter and camper vans stopped in the road taking in the scenic views all lead to crappy driving...... crazy

A far cry when we did the Scottish tour on here....... driving
Posted By: Submariner

Re: NC500 - 25/07/2020 09:32

Giving most of the camper van excursions a miss this year, the amount of chumps that have bought-in and currently destroying the countryside and peacefulness is jaw-dropping. Hopefully when normal service is resumed next year they will have got bored had their Bear Grylls experience and *%$£ed off back to Spain on holiday again.

Re: NC500 - 25/07/2020 10:14

Police have stopped many for speeding, drink driving, drugs apparently, crashes, you name it these people who come up here are really pissing locals off. Sadly it’s only going to get worse I fear. These types have been locked up for some time and all of a sudden they have been set free.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: NC500 - 25/07/2020 13:02

We did part of the NC500 last year on honeymoon. We planned to do it in our Bongo van, but it cooked its second alternator and stranded us for a week in Dornoch, while we waited for the replacement. It wasn't poor old Bongos fault either. It had been wired in wrong to the camper split charger causing it to fry.

Inverness parcel depot was closed over the weekend hence the wait. But, Dornoch - What a lovely town to be stuck in. Great food and walks and friendly people. By the end of the week, we were on first name terms with the locals, having eaten in every restaurant and pub in town.

Madonna got her hid christened in the cathedral there and Elon Musk got married there. How strange. Anyway it's a popular destination (like much of Scotland and Ireland) for American tourists, and the local golf club is famous apparently.

So, breakdown cover included a hire car (Vauxhall Crossland) So we whizzed diagonally across Southerland via Loch Shin to Cape Wrath (missing out John O Groats) taking in Smoo Cave then headed down the east before returning to Dornoch. Not quite the tour we'd planned. But it means we're itching to go back (and it's not from the midges).

I've always loved the Highlands and felt very at home there. It's like my native Wales on steroids.

I wouldn't mind moving there if I could find a job.

Re: NC500 - 25/07/2020 14:16

Well Gripped if you are ever up here again give me a shout. I’m in a wee village 8 miles North of Inverness. Less than half an hour from Loch Ness and an hour or so from the West coast. Some cracking Coop friendly roads up here.... wink Dornoch is a lovely place right enough, did you sample many Whisky? Lovely day up here. Wife is out in the garden, and I will be making macaroni and cheese for supper, with refreshment of course..... beer We do tend to be a friendly bunch, and if all else fails, the weather or plans go awry, there’s always the pub... laugh
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: NC500 - 26/07/2020 06:26

I missed the Highlands. Dornoch - I did a Twitter bike ride with Lance Armstrong there - got him to sign his cancer story book for Charlie. I prefer the beach at Embo - quieter (like, you get a mile or two to yourself). Did some sprint races at Golspie on the kart track.

TBH, Jim, I found the local “yooth” by far the worst for littering - like they didn’t realise the beauty of the place in which they’ve grown up.

Re: NC500 - 26/07/2020 07:10

Aye Mrs, you can always tell when the kids are on holiday. We used to have a wee shop/post office, and the owner told me if it wasn’t for the sweeties the kids bought, there would be no profit. When the shop eventually closed some years ago, the village litter problem cleared up over night, literally....... chinny
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK