Fiat Coupe Club UK

Viva Northumbria!

Posted By: Edinburgh

Viva Northumbria! - 16/08/2020 21:38

Mrs Ed and I have sneaked away for a week, no family this time, for the first time since you-know-what started.

In theory I'm more "at-risk" given my stint in respiratory a couple of years ago so the idea of going abroad, most likely by plane, was off the table. Like many others I'm certain it was a no-brainer..stay in UK.

Not too far away at all, less than an hour and a half in fact, lies this paradox land where we have Scotland to the north, west and and almost south of us due to the acute angle of the Tartan Curtain - our road is a dead-end, lying in a valley with no mobile signal until you're halfway up the hillside. Internet is er, provided, but at 0.3 mbps through BT on wifi 2 metres from the router. I cannily brought an ethernet cable forseeing this, plugged it in and speedtest showed.......0.9 mbps laugh

But none of this is too bad and actually quite relaxing, the air is still and nights are black, all hushed and peaceful. Surrounding fields full of cattle, the river Bowater meandering just below the disused railway between Wooler and Coldstream.

The new TomTom is being put through its paces finding the best, often unclassified, roads to wherever - today the 15" Heatherslaw railway to Etal, tomorrow Bamburgh. Embleton to Dunstanburgh castle is on there too.

Friendly people, tasty and reasonable food, no flight delays/queues, lost baggage, hire car or long drive to places where it's so hot you need to be prised out of the a/c!

Might do this again...
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Viva Northumbria! - 16/08/2020 22:00

Enjoy Simon.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Viva Northumbria! - 17/08/2020 04:29

Enjoy your week away cool
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Viva Northumbria! - 17/08/2020 09:50

Enjoy - it really is a lovely part of the world. I remember great empty beaches, cool castles and fun roads - but that was 30 years ago!

Seahouse, Holy Island, Craster, Boulmer, Alnwick, Alnmouth, Smble, Hexham are all worth a coffee stop.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Viva Northumbria! - 17/08/2020 16:06

I was up that neck of the woods about ten days ago - I wanted to get a photo of Bamburgh Castle at dawn - 9-hour round trip, but definitely worth it

Photo
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Viva Northumbria! - 17/08/2020 16:24

Excellent shot Nigel, certainly worth it smile

My version, taken this morning, evokes a different mood...

Attached picture IMG_20200817_1228488.jpg
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Viva Northumbria! - 17/08/2020 18:21

Very nice - that was the same weather that greeted me on my first trip to Bamburgh last year - I turned around and drove home without getting my camera out of the bag....
Posted By: Wishy

Re: Viva Northumbria! - 18/08/2020 08:37

Enjoy, if we have a family getaway at Easter it's usually round those parts as it's a fairly painless 1 hour trek North for us.
Posted By: G_Man

Re: Viva Northumbria! - 21/08/2020 16:45

Northumberland is basically our second home and aim to jack the job in March 22 and move up there permanently. Love the quietness, history, scenery and easish distance to either Newcastle or Edinburgh. Oh - and some stunning low flying laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK