Fiat Coupe Club UK

New driver insurance

Posted By: G_Man

New driver insurance - 10/09/2020 08:30

My youngest past first time last month and we bolted her on to our insurance at £200 for 4 weeks until she goes to Uni. She won't have access to the car in her first year but will have over the occasional weekend and Christmas back home. Our insurance company is charging £1k to keep her on which is a non-starter so has anyone been in a similar position and how did they manage it? It would appear that some of the short term insurance options don't cover new drivers frown
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: New driver insurance - 18/09/2020 13:09

I think its really down to either biting the bullet now, and she pays for being insured for the year.

Or she bites it later down the line - when she is back and has work and can afford insurance.

The downside- she won't accrue any NCB- so premiums will still be high in the future.
The upside - she won't be a brand new driver- but have x years experience.

The one things insurers seem clued up on are where parents tack on siblings to their policy- and then the siblings drive the car as theirs full time...hence the large charge.

No easy way out...insurance for young drivers effectively means a lot of new drivers can't afford to drive when they first pass their tests unless the bank of mum and dad pay for it..

Using a "P" and having a Big Brother Monitor fitted might lower costs...

Regards

MM
Posted By: G_Man

Re: New driver insurance - 04/10/2020 07:50

Thanks MM. She's fully on the insurance for the occasional time she needs it so the bullet has been partially bitten - and not by her rolleyes

Bit tricky to navigate through the insurance as a monitor wouldn't be required for 99% of the journey's so gone without any new driver gizmos.

Many moons ago I bought and ran my first car in London and insurance was rarely an issue. But now I bet a London premium would be knocking on the door of £2k but I suppose it's all relative if a one bed flat costs an arm and two legs frown
Posted By: PeteP

Re: New driver insurance - 04/10/2020 08:49

A long time ago when I was about 19 or 20 years old I changed my 3 year old 850 Mini for a frogeye Sprite,

The comprehensive insurance went from about £14 a year for the Mini to £20 ish for the frogeye..

My 19 year old grandson has just got a Mazda MX5, insurance is over £2K, about 4 times what he paid for the car.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK