Fiat Coupe Club UK

Need Windows 10 help

Posted By: Theresa

Need Windows 10 help - 08/10/2020 19:22

Hi all,

Any answers need to be given in the simplest terms please laugh

My laptop has broken frown It's stuck in a 'preparing automatic repair' loop,

I've googled for answers, downloaded repair discs from Microsoft with ISO files, imaging, etc, whatever they all mean?

Nothing is working, all I've got is a dark blue/black screen. Whatever I do doesn't work and the laptop is still in the 'preparing automatic repair' loop frown

Even though I wouldn't know what I was doing if I got in, I'm not getting any recovery options to even try,can't get into BIOS, Command Prompt, etc.

It's such a nightmare trying to get on here to do forum work,when I have the smallest iPhone lol laugh Also,iPhones aren't great for their ease of use between sites/apps!
I ideally need the laptop working to make life easier, especially when sorting stuff on here.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 09/10/2020 09:03

Assuming that it won't even turn off try taking the battery out to kill it and leave it a while before restarting to see if that breaks the loop.

Other than that I have no idea what to try.

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 09/10/2020 21:56

It will turn off, but when switched back on, it goes straight back into the same loop.
I did also take the battery out, but still the same after I put it back in😔
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 09/10/2020 22:37

No idea then T,. Sorry.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 09/10/2020 22:45

Being a Maccer and generally computer-unsavvy anyway all I could think of was google "Windows 10 preparing automatic repair" where I found some answers but you'll already have done that...
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 10/10/2020 08:26

Hi T, when you start up, does it goes straight to the automatic repair screen or do you get a chance to login first? If you can get to the login screen (or even if you can't, worth a try) press the Windows key and go to Power options, then press and hold down the Shift key and select Restart. When it restarts you can then try Safe Mode or other Troubleshooting options. Google "win 10 safe mode".

I just walked my son through these steps after his laptop got stuck after an update, restore didn't work but uninstalling the update did. Hopefully your's is something similar. My general philosophy on PCs and phones is to avoid updates if at all possible on the basis that nothing is broken so don't try fixing it...
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 10/10/2020 08:53

What you're experiencing T seems to be quite common.....
Posted By: JKD

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 10/10/2020 11:49

When you restart it, have you tried repeatedly pressing F11?

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 11/10/2020 17:48

I've tried repeatedly pressing everything, especially all the F keys. I've made a repair disc, but don't know if it works as I can't see the screen as it won't get out of 'preparing automatic repair' mode. AARRGGHHH frown

The screen is just a very dark blue/black, no keys are working frown

I didn't do any updates, all I did was switch it off as it was running really slow and not responding. When I switched it back on, it started this stupid loop ffs frown
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 11/10/2020 20:52

My laptop did very much what your describing T. Obviously of no help at all, but I’m now on an I pad. I tried repair mode, left on over night, my son-in-law is quite good at this sort of thing but basically it’s toast.. cry
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 11/10/2020 22:28

Google the model number of the laptop and you should find info on how to enter the BIOS during POST, before it boots from the internal drive and enters the repair loop.

If you can then enter the BIOS you'd need to change the boot device to the internal optical drive if there is one , or USB stick or external USB optical drive or whatever, then boot a Windows install from there and re-install Windows.

If you still can't enter the BIOS with the proper method then unplug all external devices (USB, network or anything else that's plugged in) and try again, if still no luck then either the keyboard or machine in general is faulty and will need repaired/replaced.

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 13/10/2020 20:35

I'll try that Graham, thanks. Not looking too hopeful though frown

Why do they do these things? It was fine one minute, started running slow, switched off and then then this on restart frown
Posted By: JKD

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 14/10/2020 09:36

Originally Posted by Theresa
Why do they do these things? It was fine one minute, started running slow, switched off and then then this on restart frown

Planned obsolescence.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 15/10/2020 19:14

Idiots in the OS design trying to make every possible combination of parts work with each other while simultaneously trying both to fix the bugs they left in last time and still applying lots of exciting new 'features' of no use to anyone with half a brain...

Cynical? Moi?
Posted By: Grigio

Re: Need Windows 10 help - 16/10/2020 04:37

Originally Posted by Theresa
The screen is just a very dark blue/black, no keys are working frown

I didn't do any updates, all I did was switch it off as it was running really slow and not responding. When I switched it back on, it started this stupid loop ffs frown

My work laptop did this last night, I upgraded it to windows 10 a few weeks ago. Very slow, eventually locked up, had to do a hard shutdown to kill it. Booting up it ends up in a windows repair screen and goes nowhere. Pulled the battery out, played with the bios, every trick I could think of, eventually left it and had a bath. It was at the login screen when I came back and has been functioning fine since. The cortana crap has been coming up every time I move the cursor out of the side bar, but that's another issue.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK