Fiat Coupe Club UK

Android Auto question (definite Bingo)

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Android Auto question (definite Bingo) - 29/03/2021 22:28

New EV sitting smugly on the drive. Connected my phone and Android Auto (using a USB lead), looking pretty fly. Now, when I connect my phone, the USB will only connect to charge and every time I select File Transfer, it disconnects and goes back to charge only. Android Auto seems to be running, but no access to any of the Apps on the car screen, just Google Assistant.
Any ideas?
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Android Auto question (definite Bingo) - 30/03/2021 09:10

Have you got Smart Switch on your phone Jim? I've just used it to transfer between Android phones using wifi.

Presumably it can be downloaded to the car's system too.

Re: Android Auto question (definite Bingo) - 30/03/2021 09:47

I haven't got that, Pete, I'll look into it...

Re: Android Auto question (definite Bingo) - 03/04/2021 12:29

Still no joy. It appears that Android Auto is a particularly flaky app, with many issues - especially with regard to connecting.
So I think I'll just forget it. Shame, because if it worked it would be tremendously useful.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Android Auto question (definite Bingo) - 04/04/2021 14:45

Hi Jim, I found Android Auto very intermittent when trying you use various apps but found everything worked much more as expected when I swapped to an apple phone and used CarPlay.
Maybe not a big help but if you have a spare phone worth a try.

Re: Android Auto question (definite Bingo) - 04/04/2021 15:59

Thanks Cooperman. I do have a spare phone, but sadly, it's a Samsung!
I can still listen to the radio and Spotify, it's only navigation that's a pain; I'd rather use Google Maps than the TomTom installed on the car, but I'd also much rather avoid a phone mount.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Android Auto question (definite Bingo) - 04/04/2021 17:06

I suppose the software on the unit and the phone are both the latest updates? I use Waze rather than Google maps, maybe give it a try?

Re: Android Auto question (definite Bingo) - 17/04/2021 09:02

Sorry, Cooperman, only just saw your reply. I tried Waze for a while a few years ago, but just don't like it as much as Google Maps. Probably just what I'm used to.

I've hardly sat in the car lately, never mind tried any further attempts to get Android Auto working, as it's MrsC's commuter vehicle.
However, a bit of Googling suggests it is a very common issue. Apparently, activating USB debugging causes it to boot you out, whereas I thought it was the only way I could manually select the file transfer USB option.
Maybe one day Google will sort it out or I'll suddenly have more time to devote to it. But not right now!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK