Fiat Coupe Club UK

Email address

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Email address - 07/05/2021 16:41

Somebody has (erroneously rather than maliciously, I think) used my email address to register with an online clothes site.

I contacted them to say it was wrong and to please delete it.

They came back and said I needed to lodge a fraud report. I told them I didn’t think it was fraud just an error.

They’ve now come back and said that they can only delete my email address if I supply them my name and address. I’ve responded that I don’t know how that’s of any use to them - especially as I could be anywhere in the world.

The root cause is that these companies don’t validate email addresses when people register. I’ve made the mistake myself before - an error and that’s it - unless they send a validation email to the address. Clearly this company didn’t.

Anybody any experience or guidance on this apart from just insisting they delete it?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Email address - 07/05/2021 16:49

Is it a scam Richard?

Re: Email address - 07/05/2021 17:43

No I don’t think so. I’m reasonably sure that the same person has made the same mistake before. The website is legit (JD Williams) and the person’s address is real (Ramsey in Cambs) and the order looks really mundane.

Re: Email address - 07/05/2021 17:47

In fact, checking, they’ve made the same mistake about 3 times in the last 4 years - same name and same address and mundane stuff. I might write them a letter asking them to be more careful.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Email address - 08/05/2021 19:48

Login, reset password... You can as you have access to the email address. Check the account info and then deactivate it

Re: Email address - 09/05/2021 08:06

Originally Posted by samsite999
Login, reset password... You can as you have access to the email address. Check the account info and then deactivate it
Ah - now I really like that thinking - thank you.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Email address - 13/05/2021 09:33

Missed a trick there....

Log in, choose "forgot password", get the new password, log in, change the delivery address so you get all their orders - choose which you keep as compensation for all the hassle - send the rest back for a refund after changing the card details

(I'm kidding BTW - the above is almost certainly very illegal...)
Posted By: respace

Re: Email address - 13/05/2021 10:34

Do you he might be 999 for a reason Nigel?
Posted By: Wishy

Re: Email address - 13/05/2021 11:31

I was thinking of a middle ground, log in, reset password, (don't change the address), order loads of random stuff.

Re: Email address - 13/05/2021 12:39

Originally Posted by respace
Do you he might be 999 for a reason Nigel?

Nice one!

Re: Email address - 14/05/2021 06:33

Yes - the site is for plus size female clothing for which I have limited need (although perhaps I could experiment on the cheap wink )

Too late now - mention of the information commissioner got the desired response and they’ve deleted my email address.

Re: Email address - 14/05/2021 08:50

Originally Posted by MeanRedSpider
Yes - the site is for plus size female clothing for which I have limited need (although perhaps I could experiment on the cheap wink )

A gentle reminder that all replies to this should make an effort to follow forum guidelines pertaining to being available to read by the general public laugh
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Email address - 14/05/2021 09:23

Originally Posted by Edinburgh
Originally Posted by MeanRedSpider

A gentle reminder that all replies to this should make an effort to follow forum guidelines pertaining to being available to read by the general public laugh

Aye Simon, I was tempted chinny but on reflection, I thought that there may be a more informed expert for this type of attire. type
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Email address - 18/05/2021 11:09

Originally Posted by Nigel

Missed a trick there....

Log in, choose "forgot password", get the new password, log in, change the delivery address so you get all their orders - choose which you keep as compensation for all the hassle - send the rest back for a refund after changing the card details

(I'm kidding BTW - the above is almost certainly very illegal...)

Now that's the kind of thinking I like, and would advice on a recorded public form that you should most defo (not) do
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK