Fiat Coupe Club UK

Swinging 60s

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Swinging 60s - 16/06/2021 12:07

Having a good season so far in Fishy Dave’s CSCC Swinging 60s series.

3 races and 3 class wins and an outright win at Thruxton (that makes 3 Thruxton wins in two different series in a row).

Last weekend was Cadwell Park - overall I was third and clocked the 2nd fastest lap to go with the class win (all despite a 30s success penalty in the pit stop).

Next up is Knockhill - the circuit I know best. We’re doing clockwise on Saturday and CCW on Sunday.

Videos all on YouTube
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Swinging 60s - 14/07/2021 20:04

Damn, can't believe I missed this! Well done, Rich.

Sorry our meet up didn't work out, but more so would have loved to see you win at Thruxton.

Definitely hoping for Combe on 30th August!

Re: Swinging 60s - 14/07/2021 20:17

Thanks, Jim.

Knockhill didn’t quite go to plan. Spent a week pulling the engine and gearbox out, doing lots of work on the rear suspension and a fair bit of welding too. Dragged the car up to Scotland. In dry qualifying, I took pole by nearly a second (even though I outbraked myself and threw away nearly half a second) but discovered the oil cooler was leaking. Try the wet race without the cooler but the engine wasn’t happy. That was the end of my weekend.

I have now got a place at CSCC Brands Hatch GP circuit race which looks epic and should really suit the Alfa.

Re: Swinging 60s - 14/07/2021 20:51

I love the long circuit at Brands - proper classic! Quite rare these days, too, I thought, so nice one!
Sorry Knockhill didn't work out.

Re: Swinging 60s - 02/09/2021 22:16

Hope you were able to race at Castle Combe last weekend, MRS. Unbeknownst to me, we had a night booked in an AirBnb in Wales, so we couldn't make it. One day, it'll all come together!

Re: Swinging 60s - 03/09/2021 19:16

Glad you weren’t able to make it, Jim (in the nicest possible way) because I managed 4 laps in quali before calling it a day. I had been to Brands on the Saturday and qualified a reasonable 7th ex 52 cars (3rd in my race group and 2nd in class) on what was my first ever visit to the fabulous GP circuit. In the race, I was running 8th before the pit stops but, after my stop, I picked up a really bad vibration and decided to call it a day. I had the prop shaft overhauled the week before and I was concerned it was prop-related (not a risk I wanted to take). Anyhow, my engine builder suggested it my be rubber pick-up on a rear tyre and, sure enough, not only was the prop absolutely fine, the right rear tyre was coated in rubber from the big GT cars that had gone out before us.

I run different tyres for the Alfa race so I thought all would be good.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, my bell housing had fractured (ooer missus) - possibly started before by an out-of-balance prop - so the engine and gearbox were hardly attached to each other - hence the vibration. I have a spare so hopefully the prop being overhauled will mean all is good. Next race is at Anglesey so I’m hoping it’s fine.

Re: Swinging 60s - 08/09/2021 15:58

Yikes - the trials and tribulations of classic racing. Best of luck for Anglesey.

Re: Swinging 60s - 08/09/2021 16:35

It gets slightly worse because the gearbox also had some metal chippings in it….

Onwards and upwards

Re: Swinging 60s - 19/09/2021 08:40

Originally Posted by MeanRedSpider
It gets slightly worse because the gearbox also had some metal chippings in it….

Onwards and upwards

I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound good...
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Swinging 60s - 19/09/2021 10:19

Bingo! (probably) laugh

Re: Swinging 60s - 19/09/2021 11:07

Originally Posted by Jim_Clennell
Originally Posted by MeanRedSpider

Onwards and upwards

I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound good...

It wasn’t - I think I had squeezed all of the goodness out of that gearbox laugh

All sorted and an early Sunday morning test on a “private road” seemed to show all is good. Heading to Anglesey this coming Friday so I needed to be reasonably sure it was OK - it’s a long way to go just to watch others race.

Re: Swinging 60s - 19/09/2021 13:27

Glad you've got it sorted. We're just back after a week in France visiting my kids, so won't be heading up to watch you, sadly, but I've a mate who lives on Anglesey - I'll see if he wants to cheer for you on my behalf!

Re: Swinging 60s - 26/09/2021 20:19

Good results from Anglesey: two class wins and a 4th and 3rd in race group

Re: Swinging 60s - 27/09/2021 08:01

Brilliant! Congratulations! Hopefully reward for the work to get the car ready.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK