Fiat Coupe Club UK

Automatic recommendations?

Posted By: respace

Automatic recommendations? - 17/06/2021 11:23

I've just been told I'm likely to need surgery on both hips and possibly both knees. It occurs to me that driving is going to be a problem, if only temporarily, does anyone have any recommendations/warnings about automatics?
I had an auto Volvo years ago and it was fine if a little dull, a semi automatic Citreon was an absolute pain.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Automatic recommendations? - 17/06/2021 12:22

I think the best place to start with is, what's the budget. Its very hard to go wrong when going German and automatic
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Automatic recommendations? - 17/06/2021 15:40

Depending on other factors, it could be an opportunity to go EV?
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Automatic recommendations? - 17/06/2021 17:09

Dual clutch boxes operate as automatics which opens up a lot of cars these days or, as Jim rightly points out, EVs.
Posted By: respace

Re: Automatic recommendations? - 17/06/2021 18:08

Originally Posted by samsite999
I think the best place to start with is, what's the budget. Its very hard to go wrong when going German and automatic

Hadn't really thought about the budget, in a best case scenario it's just a temporary thing until I can get back to 'normal'. Thus I wouldn't be thinking of spending too much, possibly a big, old comfortable Merc, though I keep seeing some very rusty ones. If it's permanent I guess an EV would be an option, still haven't got my head around it yet.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Automatic recommendations? - 17/06/2021 18:38

Originally Posted by respace
Originally Posted by samsite999

Hadn't really thought about the budget, in a best case scenario it's just a temporary thing until I can get back to 'normal'. Thus I wouldn't be thinking of spending too much, possibly a big, old comfortable Merc, though I keep seeing some very rusty ones. If it's permanent I guess an EV would be an option, still haven't got my head around it yet.

The trick with a Merc is go later than about 2002 to avoid the rust. A C220 Cdi would be a good choice.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK