Fiat Coupe Club UK

What TRV do I have?

Posted By: Begbie

What TRV do I have? - 08/01/2022 12:33

Looking at getting a smart heating system and was looking at Tado, but after speaking to their support it seems the TRV's I have are not compatible, so does anyone have idea on what ones they are? The brand written on the housing is 'Boss' but would like to know what the actual valves are to see if I can get any adapters for them,

Attached picture IMG_20211108_105732.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20211108_105738.jpg
Posted By: DaveG

Re: What TRV do I have? - 08/01/2022 16:34

Looks pretty much the same as the TRVs that I have fitted (see pics, haven't been able to identify a make or model from the W or E logos) but I'm not a great fan of them TBH since they nearly all seize up, or rather the little "plunger" (your first pic) gets stuck, needing a bit of WD40 and "persuasion" before they start moving again.

There's a compatability list for Tado, shows hundreds (well not quite, but a lot) of different TRVs but only a few are not conpatible. Only one TRV is listed from Boss (compatible) but looks nothing like yours, and most of the TRVs pictured have a much smaller diameter rod or "plunger". The closest one looks to be Pegler Yorkshire Terrier / Mistral / Belmont which is shown as not compatible so they might be right.

I'm curious though as to whether rhe high cost of the Tado stuff really pays back in saved energy costs?

Attached picture 20220108_153716.jpg
Attached picture 20220108_153752.jpg
Attached picture 20220108_163251.jpg
Attached picture 20220108_163355.jpg
Attached picture 20220108_163049.jpg

Re: What TRV do I have? - 08/01/2022 17:04

Mine are Westherm 6, not listed, but I would bet they would work OK. Can you measure the thread/pitch? Mine are M30 x 1.5

Re: What TRV do I have? - 10/01/2022 10:31

Thanks for that Dave and yes, your plunger bit looks exactly like mine. I even popped into B&Q over the weekend to look at the TRV's they have and the ones that they had, I could see that they had the same plunger bit as well.

Not sure how I can measure the thread pitch, but did measure it the width and it was 3cm wide.

As for cost saving? I think it would help, especially with gas prices going up and the way myself and the wife work, we need heating in different parts of the house during the day night. Mon - Fri 9-5 I'm in the spare room upstairs. Wife is in the other bedroom Wed - Fri 9-5, but Mon - Tue she is downstairs looking after the little one, so to have heating in different parts of the house on a schedule it would be much better to have it automated as we have 4 heating zones too. 3 downstairs (UFH) and 1 zone upstairs. Plus if we go out, Tado (and other systems) can turn the heating off etc..

Re: What TRV do I have? - 10/01/2022 22:40

I measured the outside of the thread on the valve base (around the plunger/rod) with calipers and used a thread measuring thingummy on the "collar" at the base of the "head".

Wow 4 heating zones eh, we had all our hot and cold water tanks and boiler replaced when the extension was done years ago, and I'm not sure we have any zones at all, just TRVs on every radiator but the lounge (where the thermostat used to be, except now it's a wireless one that usually sits in the diner part of the kitchen). Unfortunately the house is not too energy efficient, we have polystyrene balls for cavity insulation and over the years they all seem to have leaked out. Plus we have this stupid microbore piping in the old part of the house.

Re: What TRV do I have? - 11/01/2022 11:16

Well you certainly have more tools than I do for measuring things laugh

The underfloor heating is for the kitchen, hallway and living room, so a zone each with its own thermostat too, whereas upstairs is just radiators with TRV's and a single thermostat for that, hence wanting a bit more control over things on the phone, as the Polypipe thermostats are a bit of a faff to configure. Your house sounds fun smile I know what it's like when a bean bag loses its polystyrene balls!

I've posted the question on Tado's support forum to see if anyone can advise as to what I can do with the TRV

Re: What TRV do I have? - 20/01/2022 22:53

Tado Home Bundle Wireless Starter Kit is £100 off at Costco 24 Jan - 13 Feb (£270 instead of £370)

Re: What TRV do I have? - 21/01/2022 10:17

Thanks Dave. I got a reply from a couple of community members who had the same valve and said Tado worked for them, so ended up getting the wireless starter kit for £129.99 from BT shop (out of all places) and 3 TRV from BT shop. All up and running, apart from that the boiler now won't turn off, so already raised a ticket with Tado for this

Re: What TRV do I have? - 21/01/2022 10:56

That's a good price, hope you get it fixed

Re: What TRV do I have? - 24/01/2022 09:57

Been reading up on it and think it is because I have 3 controllers, 1 for heating and 2 for heating, whereas a normal Tado install is 1 for hot water and 1 for heating, so ordered another wired thermostat and need to do some configuration in the app to make it work as it should
Posted By: Knee4224

Re: What TRV do I have? - 16/11/2023 10:12

Originally Posted by Begbie
Thanks Dave. I got a reply from a couple of community members who had the same valve and said Tado worked for them, so ended up getting the wireless starter kit for £129.99 from BT shop (out of all places) and 3 TRV from BT shop.

Can I tap into your experience since you posted this. I've got Pegler Mistral II, and wondering if Tado TRVs will work with them. Do yours still work OK? Do the valves open all the way when heat is needed? Close all the way when it isn't? Or do they fit, but you've had glitches and niggles with them?

Re: What TRV do I have? - 17/11/2023 11:44

I think it should work fine for you. In the end, I had confirmation from other users of Tado on their community forum when I raised the same question above here - https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/11937/what-trv-do-i-have but otherwise they open and close as they should and been running it for nearly 2 years without issue.

I have even use Home Assistant to do some automation on it as well
Posted By: Knee4224

Re: What TRV do I have? - 17/11/2023 14:31

Thanks, appreciate the reassurance. Everyone's marking the TRVs down at the moment for Black Friday, so I'll take the plunge, fit one and test thoroughly in case I need to return, but it sounds like I'll be fine. I'd also found the thing with two conflicting compatibility charts - very confusing. Fingers crossed...
Posted By: barchetta_ms

Re: What TRV do I have? - 17/11/2023 15:57

Just to add to this, I fitted a Drayton Wiser system last year - it has been working very well - https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/wiser-black-friday-smart-thermostat-deals - the controller was a very easy swap with the existing controller - when I was looking at systems it was at a cheaper price point than the Tado system as the TRVs don't have a display on them
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK