Fiat Coupe Club UK

Cooking oil powered?

Posted By: respace

Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 11:55

There's a clip of a guy pouring what looks like cooking oil into his fuel tank in a supermarket car park. I assume he either has run out of fuel or more likely thinks it's cheaper, how would a car run on this , if at all? Assume it must be a diesel.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 13:26

Sounds like he's running it on Grizzle, a mixture of oil cooking oil, normally chip shop waste oil and white spirit.
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 14:47

A diesel car will run on veg oil. The problem is in cold weather as it thickens or solidifies. The solution is bio diesel.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 15:07

Originally Posted by Countrycruising
Grizzle

Never heard that one laugh

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 15:28

I've heard of vehicles running on chip shop oil but assumed it had to be processed/refined or added too in some way, white spirit makes more sense but wouldn't have thought it that much cheaper.

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 16:04

Originally Posted by Edinburgh
Grizzle

Good isn't it laugh

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 16:05

Originally Posted by respace
I've heard of vehicles running on chip shop oil but assumed it had to be processed/refined or added too in some way, white spirit makes more sense but wouldn't have thought it that much cheaper.

Someone I knew used to filter the old oil through a pair of tights, lol

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 16:12

Grizzle

I'd have thought chip oil and white spirit were stereotypically Scotish cuisine?
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 16:46

Grizzle

I'd have thought chip oil and white spirit were stereotypically Scotish cuisine?

Amber spirit please…
beer

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 17:10

With the chip oil it would be vaguely amber? On a serious note I once worked with a Glaswegian alcoholic who did drink surgical spirit occasionally diluted with Diamond White.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 17:40

With the chip oil it would be vaguely amber? On a serious note I once worked with a Glaswegian alcoholic who did drink surgical spirit occasionally diluted with Diamond White.

I’ve worked with alcoholics in the past as a carer, some very iffy moments including suicidal. A chap so bad with alcoholism he lost the power to walk and landed up in a wheel chair. I would arrive at his flat and he would be on the floor crying begging for help. Turns out we used to drink together back in the 80s, I never realised this until much later. The mess I’ve seen would open your eyes to say the least.

Amber=whisky. laugh
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 31/03/2022 22:26

When veg oil was less than £1 a litre we used to run our Mazda Bongo on a mix with diesel. Literally bought a 5 litre catering bottle of rapeseed oil and shoved it in the tank. It ran very well on it, but as noted above, in cold weather we put more diesel in to dilute.

Wasn't the diesel engine first designed to run on peanut oil?

As veg oil is more viscous than diesel it can be hard on fuel pumps, so we switched back to diesel when prices came down. It was a shame that biodiesel didn't really take off in our local area as I'd have given that a go.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 03/04/2022 07:40

About 20 years ago, my mate used to use used cooking oil from his local pub to run his old Transit. Just filtered it and added a bit of diesel.
Soon, companies were buying up used cooking oil so voraciously that it was no longer an option. I think McDonald's claim to run their trucks on it, don't they?

Anyway, from what I've just read, 80% of our sunflower oil comes from Russia and Ukraine, so we're about to run out. Another alternative fuel source bites the dust...!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Cooking oil powered? - 03/04/2022 07:59

Quick! Plant some sunflowers while you can still get the seeds! laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK