Fiat Coupe Club UK

Do wheels spin more in hot weather?

Posted By: respace

Do wheels spin more in hot weather? - 12/08/2022 19:59

Twice in the last couple of days I've spun the wheels on my VW T5 whilst making a a quick getaway from junctions, I've had the van 10yrs and it's never done this before, is it the weather or something going wrong? (Please excuse any paranoid concerns here, I've been a coop owner for a long time!)
Posted By: clanger

Re: Do wheels spin more in hot weather? - 13/08/2022 10:19

Silicon particulate residue from diesel fuel lying as a dust on road surfaces.

hehe hehe hehe wink wink
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Do wheels spin more in hot weather? - 13/08/2022 11:44

I believe it’s the opposite - warm surface = better traction.

Id be checking tyre pressures and age, then considering stuff like boost control.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Do wheels spin more in hot weather? - 13/08/2022 12:29

^this. But I will say that it just might be more noticeable as you'll bounce the wheels more in the dry as you'll get traction lose it, gain it etc. Might be more pronounced as we're having the best weather we've had in ages.

The other possibility is that due to heat bits like your engine mounts are that bit softer. That can make it a little harder to bring the power in cleanly as you'll 'wind' the engine up before putting the power down
Posted By: wink

Re: Do wheels spin more in hot weather? - 13/08/2022 13:32

Surely better traction would mean less wheelspin? Maybe melting tarmac?
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Do wheels spin more in hot weather? - 13/08/2022 14:09

Originally Posted by szkom
...we're having the best weather we've had in ages.

Best? This is torture! I just had a long weekend in Wales and didn't sleep for 5 nights due to melting. Air con or just not moving is the only thing keeping me alive at the moment!
Posted By: clanger

Re: Do wheels spin more in hot weather? - 13/08/2022 14:17

Round our way some of the roads do actually become more slippery in hot summers due to a build up of road dust, particularly after the farmers have harvested the fields or resowed for another crop. A good dose of rain is needed to wash the roads down everywhere I think
Posted By: respace

Re: Do wheels spin more in hot weather? - 13/08/2022 21:02

To spin suggests traction? The heat/slippery suggests otherwise, F! suggests you need to put heat into your tyres to get grip but if the road isn't providing traction? Given it's a VW not a Coop I'm slightly less paranoid than usual but suspect somethings about to go pearshaped. Storms forecast for Monday so will either sort or end in a ditch!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK