Fiat Coupe Club UK

First view of the F35!

Posted By: G_Man

First view of the F35! - 07/12/2022 12:17

Got my work from home disrupted this morning by a low flying F35 and a typhoon . Must have been no more than 200' altitude and coordinating with a chinook in the field behind us which was at nil feet. Perhaps doing some downed pilot training? Anyway it was a cool airshow and the F35 looked stunning cool Kicking myself I didn't get any footage rolleyes
Posted By: Gripped

Re: First view of the F35! - 07/12/2022 13:56

Excellent. I have yet to see one in the flesh.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: First view of the F35! - 07/12/2022 17:28

Yes indeed that would’ve been a sight to see right enough. Back in 1975 we were in the Isle of Skye visiting my wife’s Auntie. We were up in hills and looking down a valley and here was a Vulcan jet, we were both looking down on it and it seemed you could reach out and touch it, some sight back in the day.

Re: First view of the F35! - 08/12/2022 15:07

Must have been a sight Jim. Especially in the Highlands.

I was lucky to see the vulcan on it's farewell tour a few years ago. Flew in low over Swansea bay and did the howl at full thrust.
Posted By: PaulL

Re: First view of the F35! - 08/12/2022 16:30

F35 ?

Is that a new gritter ?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: First view of the F35! - 08/12/2022 18:06

Originally Posted by PaulL
F35 ?

Is that a new gritter ?

laugh
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: First view of the F35! - 09/12/2022 06:49

Tbh it was a lucky spot by the OP as they're not even meant to be seen laugh
Posted By: Nigel

Re: First view of the F35! - 09/12/2022 12:15

I got pretty close to one earlier this year

F35 hover

VERY loud (louder than I remember the Harrier being, back in the day)

Re: First view of the F35! - 10/12/2022 00:15

They are amazing planes. But I do wonder that the VTOL system is overly complicated (twisting rear nozzle, mid body fan with elevating flap). Compared to the Harrier's simpler 4 nozzle design.

But still an amazing bit of tech.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: First view of the F35! - 12/12/2022 19:03

The big problem with the Harrier was getting the joint piece fitted without any glue getting onto the moving parts... so often the swivels wouldn't let anything move and it ruined the whole model!
Posted By: stan

Re: First view of the F35! - 13/12/2022 18:10

Originally Posted by barnacle
The big problem with the Harrier was getting the joint piece fitted without any glue getting onto the moving parts... so often the swivels wouldn't let anything move and it ruined the whole model!

laugh

For anybody wishing to spot the F35, move to Cumbria! The number of times they've made me duck, my name should be Orville!

I don't know if anyone has heard them on approach, at speed? That's part of the issue: either I'm going deaf, I said EITHER I'M GOING DEAF or those things are very quiet until they are just about on top of you! That's not such a great thing for those of us of a certain age! If there is even a hint of them training in the area I go without food for several days! sick

Re: First view of the F35! - 13/12/2022 23:33

Originally Posted by barnacle

I always got the canopy covered in glue not matter how hard I tried.
Posted By: G_Man

Re: First view of the F35! - 19/12/2022 20:16

Originally Posted by Nigel
I got pretty close to one earlier this year

F35 hover

VERY loud (louder than I remember the Harrier being, back in the day)

Nice pics there Nigel cool

On a general note - the UK / Japan / Italy have recently announced collaboration on the 6th gen fighter development so not sure where this leaves the F35 confused
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK