Fiat Coupe Club UK

Shipping to the UK

Posted By: Mariusz

Shipping to the UK - 08/01/2023 17:19

Hi there! Long time no see!
I have a few questions about the changes after Brexit.

What are the problems for you with shipping from the EU?
What are the additional costs for you?
Any tips on how to ship orders to make it the cheapest for you?

Thanks a lot guys and Happy New Year to everyone. smile
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Shipping to the UK - 08/01/2023 18:09

Not sure this will help, but I have been buying some parts from the UK and shipping into Bulgaria as a private individual. I know you are looking at the other way around, but it SHOULD be the same process!!!

The main thing that I needed was an EORI number. This is for the EU and the UK. You get the number for free from your local customs office. This is your permanent personal number that you use every time.
I think, that below a value of 150 euro's this is not needed, but over this amount it is.

I have had several different experiences.
Sometimes I have not been charged any import duty. Other times I have.

In theory the supplier should not charge the VAT, but some do!!!
If the VAT is not charged the duty usually works out about the same amount so in effect there is no additional cost than there was before Brexit.

The paperwork has been sorted out by the courier in all cases (Or the post office). They do have a nominal charge for this.

It does take longer for deliveries but its not bad.

I do try to buy only from the EU, but its now quite easy with the EORI number to buy from the UK.

I hope this helps a little.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Shipping to the UK - 08/01/2023 18:26

I've given up buying from the UK... even a snail mail tracked letter can take three weeks to get here, all but the first and last of which it spends being ignored in customs.

Sending stuff to the UK tends to land the recipient with a customs/vat/service charge, and the same for stuff arriving chez Barnacle... it's easier, faster, and cheaper to get stuff from China than from the UK.

I'm currently looking into whether the German post has a customs declaration form so I can send small items as gifts...
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Shipping to the UK - 09/01/2023 09:57

Originally Posted by Mariusz
Hi there! Long time no see!
I have a few questions about the changes after Brexit.

What are the problems for you with shipping from the EU?
What are the additional costs for you?
Any tips on how to ship orders to make it the cheapest for you?

Thanks a lot guys and Happy New Year to everyone. smile

It's a problem Mariusz which is difficult to get around other then friends bringing parts in or items being held until I visit Europe, import duty, handlers fee and the timescale it takes to receive items after they’ve passed through customs means for me I have no idea when parts are going to arrive like the lips I purchased in December, tracking only allows me to see when they've left meaning it's not possible to track the items in the UK, Brexshit in truth is a shit show!
Posted By: andyps

Re: Shipping to the UK - 10/01/2023 10:07

I've bought quite a few parts for another car I have (Lancia Fulvia) from a company in France and there haven't been any issues, with deliveries still taking less than a week, and as little as a couple of days. Anything below €140 (I think) doesn't incur any import duties or VAT so actually works out well because there is no VAT on the French side either. Above that there is VAT and duty to pay, the courier contacts me when they receive the parcel and as long as it is paid the item gets delivered. With a few small items it is a balance between having multiple shipments with associated cost and keeping each order below the threshold or paying less for shipping. Expensive items don't give that choice.
Posted By: Mariusz

Re: Shipping to the UK - 12/01/2023 11:24

Thanks a lot guys for all the tips smile
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Shipping to the UK - 09/02/2023 16:03

As with andyps I buy things from France,

The latest was 1/18 scale model X1/9 cost 114 euros including shipping ordered 5th Jan and arrived 10th Jan and with no UK customs duty added. Final delivery was by Royal Mail

This one.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Shipping to the UK - 20/02/2023 08:27

Receiving parcels here in France from the uk is a lottery.
People here are reporting getting charged by the postman at their door up to 50% of the parcel value.
Now something really has to be important/urgent for me to buy from the uk.

Due to the cyber attack I'm still waiting for a uk registered letter that was posted on the 16th December last year.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK