Fiat Coupe Club UK

Hernia Operation

Posted By: PaulL

Hernia Operation - 31/10/2023 13:36

Had my op yesterday and all went well.

Occasional aches. Pain if I move too far.

Surgeon said that there were no bits left over when he had finished.

Do you still aspire to that Joe ?

I hope that everyone has a good time at the NEC

Paul
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Hernia Operation - 31/10/2023 14:36

No bits left over is a good sign, lol

My double groin hernia op (Bill and Ben) was like yours pretty straight forward, the only after pains were in my neck due to the gas they use to blow up your abdomen for the keyhole part and I was told I'd need 3 weeks to recover..... I was back in work 3 days later.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Hernia Operation - 31/10/2023 15:51

Glad it went well Paul,

Mine were done in a military hospital quite some time ago.

The (military) staff were gobsmacked when I questioned the surgeon, a full Colonel, about what he was proposing to do and persuaded him to make some compromise about when I would escape.

Poor military patients were expected to lie at attention whenever he was around.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Hernia Operation - 31/10/2023 23:25

Originally Posted by PeteP

Poor military patients were expected to lie at attention whenever he was around.

The mind boggles shocked

Good to hear all went well Paul. Presumably you had no bits missing either like you might have had in Pete's hospital if you were unlucky laugh
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Hernia Operation - 31/10/2023 23:51

My brother's wife had her first baby in an RAF hospital and the lying at attention was the norm there too in 1979.

At the time Ian was a civilian Judge Advocate working for HM Forces , hence why Sian ended up there.

Re: Hernia Operation - 01/11/2023 17:19

The day before the op. My last of the summer wine pals were discussing music that could be played in the operating theatre. I thought of Gloria Gaynor with I will survive. Valerie came up with Who wants to be a millionaire? Ali won with Benny Hill and Hernia the fastest milkman in the West.

Re: Hernia Operation - 11/11/2023 10:18

Almost a fortnight since my operation.

Things have been really good.

No major aches and pains at all. I did have to be careful the first five days, as if I moved wrongly, I got a pain, a bit like when you put your back out?

Now having to be careful that I don't forget and do too much.

Bottom Line.

The op is nothing to be fearful of.
Aches and pains well within fair levels.
If you need one, don't put it off.

Mind you, I have had to cancel rugby practice and not accept the starring role in Emmanuel III - The Pensioner.

Paul
Posted By: paulw

Re: Hernia Operation - 15/11/2023 21:07

Yes, good to hear that all went well Paul.

Mind you these days things are very different. I had one done out here, about 5 years ago, keyhole surgery as yours and was back home same day, although the nice nurse was in to see me every day for 2 weeks!

Years ago (1970's) I was also unfortunate to need one (breaking concrete was the cause) and it was a case of major surgery and kept in hospital for 10 days! Mind you it was a little cottage hospital up on the hill in Teingmouth and we had a sun room attached to our small ward, overlooking the bay, so we could watch the ships anchoring to escape rough weather. Glad to get out though after doing my 'time'.

Paul
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK