Fiat Coupe Club UK

Night driving glasses

Posted By: respace

Night driving glasses - 19/01/2024 12:43

Does anyone have any experience of these good or bad? I've read mixed reviews. I'm finding the 'white light' modern lights blinding at times, particularly in low vehicles like the coop.
Posted By: Alansclark

Re: Night driving glasses - 20/01/2024 11:00

I would suggest an opticians appointment. I was finding driving at night very hard due to oncoming headlights. My daytime vision is 20/20 but my nighttime vision was not! As we get older the eye can’t adjust to light changes as quickly. I was prescribed night driving glasses which are amazing and cut out the glare due to a special coating on the lenses.
Posted By: respace

Re: Night driving glasses - 23/01/2024 22:05

Thanks for that, i don't think it's a vision thing just the volume of light, i had a situation where a car came up behind me and there was so much light i couldn't see in front or to the side of me (don't know whether it was dipped or not). i read somewhere that 90% of drivers were having problems with this. We have a 'wild west' scenario round here where pick ups and quad bikes have lights attached to roll bars and if you get too close to them they turn them on directly into you from behind, very dangerous.
Given how poor coop lights are as standard this isn't great at the best of times.
I'll try the optician route.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Night driving glasses - 23/01/2024 22:37

I bought some of those yellow tinted ones and they do help quite a bit, when I remember to put them on laugh
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Night driving glasses - 23/01/2024 23:11

Originally Posted by respace
Thanks for that, i don't think it's a vision thing just the volume of light, i had a situation where a car came up behind me and there was so much light i couldn't see in front or to the side of me (don't know whether it was dipped or not). i read somewhere that 90% of drivers were having problems with this. We have a 'wild west' scenario round here where pick ups and quad bikes have lights attached to roll bars and if you get too close to them they turn them on directly into you from behind, very dangerous.
Given how poor coop lights are as standard this isn't great at the best of times.
I'll try the optician route.

I totally agree with this - dipping the RV mirror is much more frequent now but it doesn't stop the dazzling oncomers!

Especially in gas guzzlers whose lights are set higher.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Night driving glasses - 23/01/2024 23:38

You want to drive an X1/9 with your arse about 200 mm above the road. With the overall height of the car under 1.2 metres eye level is about 1 metre. Lower than the headlights on many vans and 4x4s.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK