Fiat Coupe Club UK

Carbon Strut Brace?

Posted By: BrianMay

Carbon Strut Brace? - 17/09/2011 11:37

as anyone ever thought of a carbon strut brace for the coupe? the new motorsport line in BMW offers this...maybe AutoDS could present us with such a light a effective thingy... smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 19/09/2011 02:01

it would be very expensive, wouldnt it?

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 19/09/2011 08:38

would it have the compliance required to be on our cars ? im pretty sure the bmw's etc are much more rigid standard chassis than ours

the coupe could put alot more stress on it ?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 19/09/2011 12:15

Carbon would have to be a staight bar for it to have any strength and it isn't possible to fit a straight bar in a coupe engine bar unfortunately.

It may be be possible to join carbon to an alloy mounting but to be honest, it will be an expensive rarely seen and not much lighter than an alloy strut brace.
Posted By: Scuderia

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 20/09/2011 14:27

Considering the weight of a Coupe, its rather pointless. There are much easier and cheaper ways to remove weight.
Posted By: hoban81

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 20/09/2011 14:32

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
Considering the weight of a Coupe, its rather pointless. There are much easier and cheaper ways to remove weight.

What are they mate.

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 20/09/2011 15:00

Just for info: I found this on the web a while ago and its quite interesting, I'm sure the same could be applied to making a strut brace

http://www.bmeres.com/carbonframe1.htm

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 20/09/2011 17:08

Tried that Nobby, it looked like it was going to work until I tried to close the bonnet frown
click to enlarge

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 20/09/2011 20:34

In compression (that's what it is expected a sturt bar to face in normal conditions) carbon fibre would be very interesting, however I forgot that it could not be straight and that would require some reinforcement, thus raising the production price...it's a good idea for a trackday/race car but you are right, the cost benefit ratio wouldn't be very atractive

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 20/09/2011 23:25

that pic is class jimbo

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 21/09/2011 13:28

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Tried that Nobby, it looked like it was going to work until I tried to close the bonnet frown
click to enlarge

rofl

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 21/09/2011 20:16

maybe something like bicycle seat post .. core is made from alloy and rest is made from carbon

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 21/09/2011 22:23

what would be the point of that ? its hardly going to save much weight or make it much stiffer

better just using plain alloy

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 22/09/2011 06:43

The amount of weight you are talking about saving by using carbon is negligible. Filling the screen wash bottle will add more weight!

It would be a cosmetic addition only.

Re: Carbon Strut Brace? - 24/09/2011 08:52

that strut brace would only make any (small) sense if fully carbon, otherwise any kind of alloy wrapping would be much more than money not so well spent
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK