Fiat Coupe Club UK

Brake Disc Options & Guidance

Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 02/12/2016 19:37

Hello all.

Now that i have found out what the cause of my front brake judder was ( warped brembo discs ) after just 4000 miles use with Mintex Pads.

What are the options that you can recommend...?

I see there are other options available other than the standard vented discs, with dimpled, grooved and drilled or a combination of the three.

My driving is quite relaxed with a bit of spirted every now again, i am unlikely to be driving on a track, so road use discs make the most sense.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 02/12/2016 20:31

I've tried loads of disc / pad combinations

By far the best value was Mtec grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads - although I tried really hard, I couldn't warp the discs or get the pads to fade

Only downside is that the grooves make the discs noisy when hot
Posted By: andyps

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 27/12/2016 13:32

What is that combination like from cold Nigel? I've got the DS2500 pads in mine with Brembo discs and they work well but are better with a bit of heat - as I hillclimb my car the brakes don't get chance to get hot so fade is not an issue!

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 27/12/2016 16:12

They are good from cold - heat builds very quickly

The only pads I can think that may be better from stone cold would be some of the Pagid compounds

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 27/12/2016 17:14

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with them overall but any improvement is worth knowing about. Carbotech XP8 have been recommended but I'm not absolutely sure about them. Trying to resist the temptation to go for larger wheels to get bigger brakes, I think lower unsprung mass is probably better as the brakes only get about 4 hard applications per run (70 seconds if I do really well) and then over an hour to cool down.

Will have a look at Pagid options.

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 27/12/2016 20:01

You definitely don't need bigger brakes - I've had my front tyres squealing at 120+ mph on standard-sized brakes

Unsprung weight is always a benefit - my rotors are about 2kg lighter per disc than standard and the 'feel' from floating discs is exceptional.

Carbotech are extremely good pads, but they were horribly mis-matched with m-tec discs - you would need some high-quality discs to cope. They were probably the best pad I've ever used, but not a good idea for a 25,000 mile per year daily driver

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 27/12/2016 23:57

I'm very tempted by the floating discs but really struggling to get my head around the cost!

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 28/12/2016 13:53

They are down to £399 + VAT now..... wink

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 28/12/2016 17:26

Really didn't need to know that wink

Where are they available at that price?

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 28/12/2016 18:10

www.tmcmotorsport.com

Don't forget about your hub flanges - if you have original flanges, the Fiat 695 discs won't fit. Aftermarket flanges are smaller - see my thread about the floating discs.

Re: Brake Disc Options & Guidance - 28/12/2016 21:45

Thanks again Nigel, I had remembered the comment about the flanges from the floating discs thread. Another additional cost for my winter repair/upgrade by the look of things.....
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK